• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Has Manga in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of why are they tainting anime/manga with the filth that is MLP.

I smile when I think about your future.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Oh my god........NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.......Even if are targeting this for young girls........ARGHHHHH!!!!!! WHY JAPAN?! WHY!?

It's sexist quotes like this that make me ashamed to be an anime fan. Nobody would complain if a western series aimed at boys got its own manga, so shut the hell up. Yeesh; double standards.

The fact is, MLP is aimed at little girls. And over all, Pucchigumi is a magazine aimed at girls, and pretty much only girls (Pretty Rhythm manga, Barbie, etc. Magazines come with cute coin purses for little girls). It's great that you like MLP, but you need to be more polite. There is no reason for you to curse and be rude to others.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of why are they tainting anime/manga with the filth that is MLP.

It terrifies me to think that My Little Pony will technically be on topic for anime/manga forums all over the internet now.

I have to agree. I'm not a fan of MLP, and can't really understand those who like it, but if they want to be fans, fine. But it's not an anime. However, it is interesting that they are using such a prolific seiyuu cast.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
WHY JAPAN?! WHY!?

Because the company wanted to make one. See: Disney making a W.I.T.C.H. manga in Japan rather than publishing the Italian comic there. It has a better chance of succeeding because western comics don't really sell in Japan. With a manga it has better odds. Admittedly, W.I.T.C.H. bombed and was cancelled after two volumes, but Stitch! did well enough and was met with success.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:

It terrifies me to think that My Little Pony will technically be on topic for anime/manga forums all over the internet now.

I have to agree. I'm not a fan of MLP, and can't really understand those who like it, but if they want to be fans, fine. But it's not an anime. However, it is interesting that they are using such a prolific seiyuu cast.

Yeah thats so weird, teens & adults liking cartoons with cutesy characters because that NEVER happens Rolling Eyes

But in all honestly the irony of that statement and the hypocrisy of anime fans here & elsewhere bashing the show is enough to make me both laugh my flank off and depressingly sigh my lungs out at the same time.

Seriously though, no one else sees the irony or hypocrisy at all, nobody? OK then, i'll just be over eating my popcorn, sipping my lemonade & laughing. Continue with your silly nannery.[/img]
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:

Yeah thats so weird, teens & adults liking cartoons with cutesy characters because that NEVER happens Rolling Eyes

But in all honestly the irony of that statement and the hypocrisy of anime fans here & elsewhere bashing the show is enough to make me both laugh my flank off and depressingly sigh my lungs out at the same time.

Seriously though, no one else sees the irony or hypocrisy at all, nobody? OK then, i'll just be over eating my popcorn, sipping my lemonade & laughing. Continue with your silly nannery.[/img]

I do,in fact I agree with any thing you posted. The anime fan who turn up their nose at My little pony but flock to shows aimed at the same audience makes me wounder just what they are thinking other them maybe 'Japanese/anime good. western/cartoon bad'. Of course I wounder about MLP fans who mock anime.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:

I do,in fact I agree with any thing you posted. The anime fan who turn up their nose at My little pony but flock to shows aimed at the same audience makes me wounder just what they are thinking other them maybe 'Japanese/anime good. western/cartoon bad'. Of course I wounder about MLP fans who mock anime.

Yeah, it always rubs me the wrong way, anime fans are so adimant about NOT JUDGING A BOOK BY ITS COVER and get soo mad when you judge an anime just by its appearance, synopsis, 1 epsiode, etc. But anything like MLP getting popular is automagically wrong and bad.

As a fan of animation in general I try to give everything a fair shake, sure I still have plenty of negative things to say about a lot of anime & cartoons, but I at least try to give something a chance before I go out and say a lot of negative things about it. But thats just me.

after all my motto is... Only thing worth bashing off the bat is realty TV! Laughing
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sure is overly-defensive in here.

Anyway, this seems interesting. If nothing else i'm curious about what the art will look like. Will they stick with the show's style, or go a more chibi-fied route? Will it just be a comedy/gag series, or something with an ongoing plot, like the IDW comics? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Sure is overly-defensive in here.

Anyway, this seems interesting. If nothing else i'm curious about what the art will look like. Will they stick with the show's style, or go a more chibi-fied route? Will it just be a comedy/gag series, or something with an ongoing plot, like the IDW comics? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I see it being more like the IDW series since I don't think it would work as a gag series. As for the art who knows ,it could work either way.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Fade wrote:
I do,in fact I agree with any thing you posted. The anime fan who turn up their nose at My little pony but flock to shows aimed at the same audience makes me wounder just what they are thinking other them maybe 'Japanese/anime good. western/cartoon bad'.

>_> Or maybe it's cause those kids anime tend to have content that can appeal to older viewers. I loved Sailor Moon as a kid for the awesome characters, the story, the fleshed out villains, tragic deaths, and writing that didn't treat me like a 3 year old. MLP doesn't have any of that from the episodes I saw. Just cause we like kids anime doesn't mean we have to like kids cartoons. I dun see how its hypocritical at all. They're written in waaay different styles and tones.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Fade wrote:
I do,in fact I agree with any thing you posted. The anime fan who turn up their nose at My little pony but flock to shows aimed at the same audience makes me wounder just what they are thinking other them maybe 'Japanese/anime good. western/cartoon bad'.

>_> Or maybe it's cause those kids anime tend to have content that can appeal to older viewers. I loved Sailor Moon as a kid for the awesome characters, the story, the fleshed out villains, tragic deaths, and writing that didn't treat me like a 3 year old. MLP doesn't have any of that from the episodes I saw. Just cause we like kids anime doesn't mean we have to like kids cartoons. I dun see how its hypocritical at all. They're written in waaay different styles and tones.

Other then tragic deaths you'll find those things in MLP as well if you watch more of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
MLP:FIM isn't stupid, but it's also not very challenging. And for some reason, the latest season felt even less so, and it'll only get worse now that Hasbro seems to want more say and control in production... spoiler[Princess Twilight]. I don't have any hope for the Equestria Girls show.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
MLP:FIM isn't stupid, but it's also not very challenging. And for some reason, the latest season felt even less so, and it'll only get worse now that Hasbro seems to want more say and control in production... spoiler[Princess Twilight]. I don't have any hope for the Equestria Girls show.

Yeah that seem to be the conciseness ever since Lauren Faust Left the show . And I don't have much hope for Equestria girls either.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Dear God SHOOT ME NOW. Mad
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Oh my god........NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.......Even if are targeting this for young girls........ARGHHHHH!!!!!! WHY JAPAN?! WHY!?

It's sexist quotes like this that make me ashamed to be an anime fan. Nobody would complain if a western series aimed at boys got its own manga, so shut the hell up. Yeesh; double standards.

The fact is, MLP is aimed at little girls. And over all, Pucchigumi is a magazine aimed at girls, and pretty much only girls (Pretty Rhythm manga, Barbie, etc. Magazines come with cute coin purses for little girls). It's great that you like MLP, but you need to be more polite. There is no reason for you to curse and be rude to others.

Nobody pitches a fit when girls enjoy Transformers and G.I. Joe. This type of double-standard just perpetuates the stereotype that women write for women and men write for everyone.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8