• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting import prices for the BD, but yeah.... There's absolutely NO justifying that price tag for the DVD set. That's simply outrageous. Evil or Very Mad

I can almost bet you cash money that they're going to use the exact same encodes from the Bandai DVDs, too. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they even used the same menus. Confused
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love TTGL no way in hell i'm gonna pay those kinda prices for a Blu-ray release of it, I could get my restroom remodled for that kinda scratch Anime hyper *given probably not very well, but you get the point*
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, their "let's price it like R2" strategy might have worked for stuff like Garden of Sinners but this is just crossing the line. Doing this to a MAINSTREAM ANIME, pricing it at absurdly high costs even on DVD, is just wrong entirely and feels like they're pouring salt on the wound from Bandai's closure.

I don't NEED postcards and stickers and a fancy box to enjoy an anime. If Aniplex does another survey I'm telling them to do reasonably priced DVD sets stripped of the swag so people like me who just want to enjoy a show can enjoy it as needed.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
The thing is, their "let's price it like R2" strategy might have worked for stuff like Garden of Sinners but this is just crossing the line. Doing this to a MAINSTREAM ANIME, pricing it at absurdly high costs even on DVD, is just wrong entirely and feels like they're pouring salt on the wound from Bandai's closure.

Makes me wonder if they're going to release Sword Art Online at an incredibly high price too, since thats about as mainstream an anime in the West as Aniplex has had in recent years.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I don't NEED postcards and stickers and a fancy box to enjoy an anime. If Aniplex does another survey I'm telling them to do reasonably priced DVD sets stripped of the swag so people like me who just want to enjoy a show can enjoy it as needed.

Well, there are always the legal streams for that. Aniplexs method is like in Japan: The physical copy is for the most hardcore fans, while everyone else can watch it on TV (or streams here).
partially

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
On a subject that probably won't be talked about much here, I was really hoping to hear news about a potential release of the Madoka Magica compilation movies or a re-release of Kara no Kyoukai. Since Amazon Japan had listed those two items today, I really wanted to hear Aniplex USA announce the same. Alas...

As for a potential return of streaming Gurren Lagann, I have one word...Daisuki...that is all.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Well, there are always the legal streams for that. Aniplexs method is like in Japan: The physical copy is for the most hardcore fans, while everyone else can watch it on TV (or streams here).

Tell me where I can see Gurren Lagann streaming legally. Unless they decide to show it on Toonami again (which I can't even watch in the first place because I canceled cable where I live currently) there is no way to watch it streaming or on TV. And if they add it to CR it'll just be the subs.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Think the price for the DVD version is fine. The Blu Ray as an import price I assume is about right. Glad they got it back for the US, hoping someone does the same for the UK.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Tell me where I can see Gurren Lagann streaming legally. Unless they decide to show it on Toonami again (which I can't even watch in the first place because I canceled cable where I live currently) there is no way to watch it streaming or on TV. And if they add it to CR it'll just be the subs.

I'd imagine they'll put it on Daisuki.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The worst part is they've taken down all the legal streams as well!! Gurren Lagann used to be all over the internet to watch for free!!

But NOOOOO. AoA ain't gonna be havin' that. You want this beloved, well-known, mainstream show that was until just recently reasonably priced? Now you gotta pay out the ass for it!! Rolling Eyes
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
People can white knight for Aniplex all they want, I refuse to believe this kind of pricing model is right for anime. I shouldn't have to sell a gallon of plasma to pay for entertainment.

And I don't care if legal streams are an alternative, what if I want to see the show dubbed? CR barely does that as is and I bet Daisuki will do the same. I saw the GL dub on Sci-Fi's website back when it aired and liked it, hate on it all you want.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
People can white knight for Aniplex all they want, I refuse to believe this kind of pricing model is right for anime. I shouldn't have to sell a gallon of plasma to pay for entertainment.

And I don't care if legal streams are an alternative, what if I want to see the show dubbed? CR barely does that as is and I bet Daisuki will do the same. I saw the GL dub on Sci-Fi's website back when it aired and liked it, hate on it all you want.

I personally just don't see why Westerners need to think they are special and somehow "Deserve" to pay next to nothing for anime. The people who actually fund the industry in Japan pay this kinda price as standard. Why shouldn't others around the world pay the same price? What makes you better then them?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
well, if all of what we paid went directly back to the studios and production committees, I'd probably be ok paying higher prices
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So, will I pay about five times the reasonable price for Gurren Lagann on Blu Ray because Japan can't economy worth a red flavoured damn?

I think I'll let Cartman sum this one up; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpyGyb1J4I
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
But NOOOOO. AoA ain't gonna be havin' that. You want this beloved, well-known, mainstream show that was until just recently reasonably priced? Now you gotta pay out the ass for it!! Rolling Eyes

Pay out the ass for it?? You gotta do alot more than pay out the ass for it now. You practically have to sell your soul to the Devil to buy it now, which is kinda what you end up doing anyway because all the time this works for them they won't stop.

The only saving grace for me is knowing that being in the UK means that I won't ever have to pay those kinda prices. Our market is too small to allow such a model to achieve any kind of success, thankfully. It allows us to get stuff like the PMMM BD complete set for £30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24