• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70 Everyone else is just a closet fan.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This was like a textbook example of everything that is wrong with anime. Tries to be everything, ends up as something without a shred of self-respect in it. I can't see who is this show supposed to appeal to. Mecha fans? I think not. A total trainwreck in the first episode already and dropped forever.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:

Come on, Rhyono, stop humoring the poor guy. He deserves to know the truth.

Yes, Beltane, *you* are the only person that actually liked Valvrave.

But we won't reject and mistreat you for it! We respect you for doing what no one else can do! You go, Beltane! Set free your love for Valvrave!
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
There was one part that was really good: the part where the car was turned into dirt or whatever the ground was supposed to be. Magic beams of dirt creation! Anyone else notice the angle of the beam made it impossible for the ground to look like that?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
I did not really hate it, I gave a pretty honest interpretation of my opinions in the opening post. Guess I don't really have an opinion either way so far.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
There was one part that was really good: the part where the car was turned into dirt or whatever the ground was supposed to be. Magic beams of dirt creation! Anyone else notice the angle of the beam made it impossible for the ground to look like that?
I bet it teleported her and the car. I doubt she's dead. I'm not even kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
I agree with the point Haruto is bland. His motivation is not enough to fill out his entire character. Most of all he lacks personality, just try describing Haruto:

-School boy
-Indifferent
-Relaxed
-Indecisive
-Vengeful (near the end of the show)

There is nothing unique in that package, and we know nothing about his overall personality and what defines him. Things like his likes and dislikes (apart from the crush on a student) are left unexplained.

It's still early days though. Hopefully they actually spend time introducing the characters and defining them better in the next episode.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
CrisisXVII wrote:
It's still early days though. Hopefully they actually spend time introducing the characters and defining them better in the next episode.

Well, considering that we're talking about someone who's character was introduced through an eating contest against boobs, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was... a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I actually really liked this one. I recognize that it has its flaws, but I think the first episode was really great personally. This actually reminds me of one of my favorite anime, Souko no Strain: deceptively dark story and compelling character drama, a kind of warped sense of humor (I was laughing like crazy during this; yeah, I know it's just a me thing, but this episode lined up pretty perfectly with my odd sense of humor), and even the shitty CG (which was something I don't really like).

Man this had some good moments, like spoiler[dead serious exposition, shows the dyson sphere, shows some deadpan 'students' on a shuttle to apparantly go to their new school, cuts to black and music cuts mid bar, and then suddenly rowdy high school studends shoving hot dogs down their throats. God that was funny]

I also liked the constant texting in class, and students dicking around like crazy. Reminded me exactly of my own high school days.

Also, the music in this is really good.

Wow, I watched this one just on a whim because it was an original, and had mecha, but I'm certainly sticking with it for now. This could be one of my favorites from the season. I completely recongize that it has a lot of stuff that people would hate, but it lines up pretty well with my sensibilities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
So, wait, I'm I just about the only person that actually liked Valvrave?

Not at all. I loved it. And I don't mean that in a "I'm enjoying it an ironic it's so bad it's good way." I was engaged by the characters, story and visual look. I'm hoping to see more of Sensei Big Tits.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm hoping to see more of Sensei Big Tits.

The female student also in a swimsuit was playing with one. Very Happy

And now I admitted that I noticed that part.
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Apparently the Seiyu Fan website has already confirmed a season 2 for Valrave in October.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Interestingly, as bad as everyone says it is (and I see the reasoning) I was able to watch all of it and not be upset. Absolutely nothing special but this and Arata (also a bit genric) are the only straigt "action" shows I've been able to watch this season.

But I do feel like I'd regret watching it. I couldn't stand Code Geass and only watched the first half of Guilty Crown. This guy just doesn't seem able to give me shows I can genuinely enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
So, wait, I'm I just about the only person that actually liked Valvrave?

No the thread is just filled with the more butthurt mecha fans and people that planned on trashing it to begin with. If you go pretty much anywhere else on the internet it's getting a lot of chatter and people speculating on the direction of where things will go. Most people anywhere will admit it was a pretty standard mecha opener in terms of the progression of events give or take some cues and scenes and how that can be a little disappointing but there's less of ranting and raving attitude overall.

Personally I really want to see the next episode to see where they take it.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Rhyono wrote:

Come on, Rhyono, stop humoring the poor guy. He deserves to know the truth.

Yes, Beltane, *you* are the only person that actually liked Valvrave.

But we won't reject and mistreat you for it! We respect you for doing what no one else can do! You go, Beltane! Set free your love for Valvrave!

Really dude? I'm starting to wonder what's up with ANN and being filled with so many people that make obnoxious posts like this where they try to speak for others and put others down. I simply see no reason for this sort of response to what seems like a fairly innocuous question, but it sure speaks to the type of "fans" this thread is filled with right now. No wonder the guy would pop such a question when people speak this much out of hyperbole and obvious butthurt.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Great defense. "It's just people being butthurt, but if you go anywhere else people are accepting of sub-standard stuff".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 32