• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo International Anime Fair 2011 Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel kind of bad for the winner of the Oreimo contest.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
They have earthquakes every week in Japan, I don't know how they don't design buildings to withstand very strong ones, this ain't the first time strong ones like that have appeared and even though it's rarely that powerful it never hurts to be prepared.

The scale used to measure the magnitude of earthquakes is a logarithmic scale. Every whole number on the scale represents ten times the strength of the previous one.

Yes, Japan has strong earthquakes all the time - but the March 11th earthquake was 8.9, which is ridiculously huge. Human engineering can only go so far.

That said, I'm really not surprised the TAF has been canceled. I have a friend in Tokyo, and he's reporting rolling blackouts and big aftershocks almost every day.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Right now I've been relying on BBC News for the latest. I have no empirical evidence of their coverage being better than others, but judging from the last 4 days they've been very fast to update and also very even handed. Japanese sources are being vague in an attempt to play down fears, while the American news outlets are trying to hype up the apocalyptic side of things for the sake of a good story. (CNN has been especially guilty of this.)

And loka, any sane person must admit that a nuclear power plant meltdown is terrifying, regardless if there's any danger in Tokyo or not. People are FREAKED OUT and I can't say I blame them.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
CNN has been over the top, that's for sure. They've got one guy who is apparently an expert meteorologist, geologist, and nuclear engineer, all rolled up into one. Gotta wonder why he's working for a news outlet. BBC historically has been more even handed with their coverage than many western news sources. The Times is the same way.

People are afraid, and they're likely to remain afraid until there is some kind of resolution to the problem. The Japanese authorities are probably stingy with information because they don't want to create mass panic, but there comes a point where lack of information leads to misinformation, which is just as bad, and in this case that point may have been reached. It would be good to have more data.

With runaway nuclear reactors time matters; the longer it takes to get things under control, the worse the result is going to be. This has been going too long for it to have a perfectly happy ending. All one can hope for now is that, when it's finally over, the impact will be relatively low.

Last edited by chefneer on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
The ACE website just says they are meeting right now but yaraon reports that Starry Sky radio said ACE will be canceled.

Starry Sky's radio program itself didn't say that ACE was cancelled; voice actor Junichi Suwabe said in a Twitter post on Wednesday that ACE — during which he was slated to record a Radio Starry Sky episode — was cancelled. However, Suwabe deleted that Twitter post, and ACE has not made an official announcement either way.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
the terrifying situation with the Fukushima nuclear power plant

Someone has been listening to misinformed blather himself.

Couple of hydrogen explosions, multiple fires, multiple causualties and injuries, and evacuation of all facility personnel, excepting a core group who are going to take one for the team.

The seemingly lackluster response from the Japanese government should be even more frightening. They should be throwing everything at this problem, including the kitchen sink. Instead, you have a small group of workers left to try and cool the reactors down, keep the outdoor spent fuel rods from being exposed to the air and catch fire, and surviving all the explosions and fires, all the while knowing they are going to die slowly from radiation poisoning, or fast from radiation poisoning, depending on their exposure. The governments response is to fly a few helicopters over the nuclear facility and drop water on it. Yeah Team!

Japan is lucky that the prevailing winds are heading off shore. They only have a few more days of this before the weather pattern changes. I hope for the Japanese people's sake their government gets their act together in time.

Sevakis has the right of it. Think your head is in the sand.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Right now I've been relying on BBC News for the latest. I have no empirical evidence of their coverage being better than others, but judging from the last 4 days they've been very fast to update and also very even handed. Japanese sources are being vague in an attempt to play down fears, while the American news outlets are trying to hype up the apocalyptic side of things for the sake of a good story. (CNN has been especially guilty of this.)

Rob Pereyda reckons even the BBC is sensationalising things:

"Dear English-speakers. I am officially advising you stop watching BBC as they have sensationalized their coverage of Japan as well."
http://twitter.com/rpereyda/status/48358715685998592

But also ads that NHK are state run.

TopGunman wrote:
They have earthquakes every week in Japan, I don't know how they don't design buildings to withstand very strong ones, this ain't the first time strong ones like that have appeared and even though it's rarely that powerful it never hurts to be prepared.

They are, and that fact saved countless lives in the earthquake. Most of the actual damage was caused by the tsunami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2