• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix: High Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Sales Could Pave Way for More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
Much as I'd love to see an HD remake of FF VII (be a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to get a PS copy LOL) and earlier games, I would imagine to do it would require them to basically remake the game to bring the graphics up to that level, right?

CrownKlown wrote:
Does anyone know if X is at least the international version like kingdom hearts in the KH compilation? I know they added an optional bosses in the International version called Judgement or something like that who is supposed to be ridiculously insane.

Yes, several game sites have confirmed that both X and X-2 will be the international versions. It's why I'll be double dipping on a game for the first time in forever Razz
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
wouldn't mind 12 for vita Anime smile
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Hello? Type 0, guys?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Something for FF9. Please. Even Nobuo and the creator of FF like 9 the best. PLEEEEEASE.

Maybe last. It's the worst selling modern FF game. And I'm not sure how good PSX graphics would look in HD.

I think in hindsight people like IX better than most of the other PS era final fantasy games.

It was different than other two and it had a strange world, which turns people off. I really do think that more people like IX now than they did then.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Fans of Final Fantasy, there are decent games before VII. Just because they didn't have as much TV exposure as VII did in the hands of Sony doesn't mean that they are not worth looking into.

Please give these games a try if you are a true Final Fantasy fan.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Fans of Final Fantasy, there are decent games before VII. Just because they didn't have as much TV exposure as VII did in the hands of Sony doesn't mean that they are not worth looking into.

Please give these games a try if you are a true Final Fantasy fan.

The problem with doing an HD-remake of those games is that it's a lot more work. You have to completely re-do most of the models and environments in the game, along with animations too. The reason why XII is a possibility is the same reason X is, the structure is there, all they have to do is upgrade the textures.
EastN3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Ugh, please not XII. The battle system played like Hot Shots Golf, and the characters were were all hair swaps of each other. VII, VIII, or IX please.
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
FFXII HD would be awesome! Very Happy There's so much detail in that game.
For older titles I'd prefer not a simple HD remake, but a true remastering (making the graphics more up to date, voice acted cutscenes, that kind of thing). Otherwise I can just stick the playing the originals.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
The problem with doing an HD-remake of those games is that it's a lot more work. You have to completely re-do most of the models and environments in the game, along with animations too. The reason why XII is a possibility is the same reason X is, the structure is there, all they have to do is upgrade the textures.

Where did I say that the games needed an HD-remake? I'm saying that any Final Fantasy fan worth their salt should check out the classic series in addition to the modern series.
killa5k7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
I personally thought Final Fantasy XII was complete garbage. I played through it through and through, did all the missions and everything. I cannot remember a single thing about it at all. If Square Enix is going to HD that one it will be a no buy for me. They need to give the fans what they want and just go ahead and start from scratch on some remakes. We all know what I am talking about. Or heck...remake a new Final Fantasy with a Materia system...I thought that was genius....but all that is asking too much of Square. If they have money problems as excuses then go for a kickstarter.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
A possibility for a remake of XII? Sign me up for that! That's my favorite FF game!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Where did I say that the games needed an HD-remake? I'm saying that any Final Fantasy fan worth their salt should check out the classic series in addition to the modern series.

So your comment was completely off-topic? Gotcha.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
XII was terrible because it was just an offline version of XI.
I really don't get why people say this. Since the game is just the active time battle system done without the transition, but instead done on the actual field map.

I also don't understand why this is said as if it is a bad thing.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
^
Mechanically, XII is one of the best games in the series. It has a full open world, tons of different enemies, abilities and status effects. Secrets to be found, hunts and hidden Espers to find. The only place it falls apart is that it's story is rather lackluster. Only a few characters stick out as really being memorable (Basch, Ashe and Balthier).
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
^
Mechanically, XII is one of the best games in the series. It has a full open world, tons of different enemies, abilities and status effects. Secrets to be found, hunts and hidden Espers to find. The only place it falls apart is that it's story is rather lackluster. Only a few characters stick out as really being memorable (Basch, Ashe and Balthier).

+Like

I agree completely. To me, FFXII was absolutely fun to play and not a chore the other games were, which began to erode the fun as the game went on.

I still remember the "Step. Step Goose!" "random" battles and the impossible to bypass cutscenes of calling powerful allies into battle.

The Gambit system made mundane tasks easier to manage, allowing us to focus on battle, not spending rounds healing party members.

Plus, you know, there's Fran, the live Playboy bunny. Wink

FFXIII dashed everything FFXII built up, then threw it on rails.

It'll be a while before I buy another FF game, but I absolutely would pay $80 for an HD version of FFXII on the 360 today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4