• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Good fanservice aside, the show is hilariously camp so far. Haruka and Rin's rivalry is dripping with hilarious homoeroticism (if there isn't already yaoi doujinshi of these two I will be shocked) and innuendo. Maybe it's just my dirty mind, but I cracked up at "I'll show you a sight you've never seen before". Actually, considering the posing there, I have to think that was intentional innuendo.

So Free! is sexy and hilarious and a ton of fun. Really hope this does well for KyoAni.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Definitely quite entertaining for me. It's not every day we see an anime like this but the OP/ED song was just something else lol. In particular, the spoiler[ED song reminds me of the anime MAGI. Anyways, I think Gou might play more of a prominent role later. Oh and Rin is a cool guy imo with his personality so far. Too bad we didn't see a real swimming one-on-one competition this episode as that would of been great.]

Looking forward to more! I think Kyoto Animation strikes gold again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
It was a little outside of my comfort zone but I kinda enjoyed lol. I guess I gotta put faith in KyoAni to make something great out of this!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
It was just as good as I thought it'd be and then some. I really enjoy being pandered too. Very Happy
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Damn all of them have girly first names and there is the use of chan. I will probably continue watching this because I like sports and there is only a few anime coming out on M/T/W.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the shows that I initially had no plans on watching. However, I wound up watching the first episode while I ate dinner and wound up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna give it as pass too but I decided to check it out for the lulz. And lulz were had in an ample amount. All the silly antics I like in shows like K-ON are present here, just with guys instead of girls.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
unless this is a sports competition show, i'm not watching it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
^ I'm pretty sure this show'll be about competitive swimming. spoiler[One character already said he's going for the Olympics]. Is that sportsy enough?
Annblob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand Nagisa, but the others I like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Durga wrote:
Maybe it's just my dirty mind, but I cracked up at "I'll show you a sight you've never seen before". Actually, considering the posing there, I have to think that was intentional innuendo.

From all the other little visuals and double entendres, I'm pretty confident it was intentional. For example the tease in the bathtub. It's pretty clear they're having fun with this too. And the flashy, super-dramatic ripping off of shirts as if they were capes is hilarious.

My brain just can't even handle the OP/ED yet. Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well apparently the woman directing this is a total fujoshi (not surprising, I'm sure). She oversaw the storyboarding for episode 7 of Hyouka, specifically the scene where Satoshi and Hotaro are in the hot springs. She's quite enthusiastic about that and it's pretty noticable in the final product.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^ I'm pretty sure this show'll be about competitive swimming. spoiler[One character already said he's going for the Olympics]. Is that sportsy enough?

What they said is not important. No competitive swimming in the first ep. We will see if they have inter high competition or not.

Rei is going to body lazy girl Nanase, so i don't mind they spent couple eps on training.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

K-ON!, reverse gender version, where there would be sweet, throw in "hot". To oppose the craziness of Yui we have the super serious Haruka, who still seems a bit of an air head. For the tomboyish Ritsu there is the girly Nagisa, who still looks like a joker. For Mio I would probably Makoto who looks the opposite of meek, but easily scared and a voice of reason. Haven't seen enough of Rin to see if he contrasts Mugi, or the fifth guy for Azusa.

Well as a guy I have my attention on the teacher and Gou.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
The episode was a little more camp than I though it would be but I enjoyed as it had its funny moments and always up for tight shorts and random ripping off tops. The only character I am unsure of is Haru as I'm not sure if he annoys me or not. I think the series has promise I just hope they carry on in the correct direction.

I will carry on watching as I want to see how this develops an d I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

I must say from all the years of competitive swimming I have never seen a relay where free takes over from fly... But hey it's anime Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 34