• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya & 2wei! / 3rei!! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
You are correct, spoiler[it is a dark haired expy of Fate Testerossa, but if you were trying to imply Homura, then it is Homura being an effective expy of Miyu as the original Fate/Kaleid manga came out in 2008.]

Among other issues, Kaleid could not have come out at a worst time as being a part of the Magical Girl genre, not even counting the ongoing Pretty Cure series there are effectively 6 magical girl series this season alone.

Yeah of course I meant Fate. I don't think Homura quite fits the mould.

Ep3-
A pretty fun episode. Not even considering the cameltoe I have to say I love Miyu's design both in and out of transformation. Skindenting thigh strap, open sides, cape and hip skirting are all right up my alley. Kind of funny since I have a weakness for silver hair and red eyes so you'd think I'd be pro-Illya all the way, Oh well. I actually still consider Ruby to be the best character.

The show's pace seems to be pretty slow. I'm fine with that since it has a fair amount of comedy to it and is pure candy for Typemoon fans.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Jesus fudge this show is badass.

This thread is way too tiny, I'm gonna have to go to MAL or /a/ to get any conversation on this show...
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This thread is way too tiny, I'm gonna have to go to MAL or /a/ to get any conversation on this show...

I've been so bad at commenting on shows that I'm watching this season, but Fate/kaleid is awesome.

Last edited by Ortensia1980 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
It's definitely gotten more engaging as it goes along. After the first few eppies I was considering dropping it - partly because I'm already watching two other Magical Girl shows (Daybreak Illusion and Fantasista Dolls) and following three in the same season seemed kind of excessive considering Magical Girl shows isn't my favourite genre by a long shot. I'm glad I hung in, though.

I like how it takes the piss out of MG tropes (i.e. spoiler["So the basis of a Magical Girl's power is mindless optimism"]) Laughing
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Apparently there's a (growing? I dunno) division of the english-speaking Typemoon fanbase who hates it because it's not a serious Fate/ series. Or so says a comrade of mine who is way more into Typemoon stuff than I am. *shrugs* I'm absolutely loving it despite liking FSN and considering Fate/Zero to be one of the best shows out there. The fact that they made a parody spinoff that still makes use of such a brilliant universe is pretty amazing to me. Usually spinoffs just use the characters and a few terms/locations and disregard everything else from the series' lore.

So the enemy this time was one of my favourite servants with a very cool design. I've always been a huge fan of relentless beam spam. Comedy aside this was a really smart episode. I loved the division in their magic styles for being something more than the usual long range/short range one.

And that ending... Oh God girls RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't frequent Beast's Lair that much, but I haven't seen much hate. Prisma Ilya is basically a doujin, so I'd understand people saying that this is not really Typemoon since neither Nasu nor anyone else from TM is involved afaik, but I don't see any reason for hate (there've been naked lolis in TM proper). People enjoyed Carnival Phantasm despite it being lighter in mood and also not written or overseen by Nasu.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I was on the edge of my seat for the battle against spoiler[Saber Alter] last week. Damn, this series sure got real in such a short period of time. I wonder if there will anyone else in this series that will top her in battle later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wow! That was epic.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been keeping up with the new anime this season, but I very much doubt that any other show will be able to top the action scene in this episode. I feel sorry for all the saps who jumped the gun and dropped this show early.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ep6-

I'll admit the first of the episode was getting on my nerves a bit. The destruction was badass but a freakin National Geographic special doesn't have that many slow panning shots and I got my fill of the Luvia/Rin dynamic back with Tenchi Muyo so I really did hope they'd be written off here. If you really boil it down then very little happens in these episodes compared to a lot of other shows.

Luckily, Illya saved the day by being absolutely awesome. Funny thing is I'd seen loads of artwork of spoiler[Illyarcher but I actually figured it was just an Archer from one of the other various Fate series. I also thought it was a boy too. LOL

I absolutely love the design and my bias towards tiny shorts isn't the reason. It's kind of like with BRS- Come for the tiny shorts, stay for the TOTAL BADASS.

If she can do that with any card then I'd love to see the designs for the other servant hybrids. It'd also make for the coolest Megaman-style game ever.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Episode 6

Wow! That was epic.

You can say that again. I've rewatched it several times and the OST, action, and spoiler[transformation of Illya's] character going badass made the entire experience that damn good. Just a good episode imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Funny thing that the last few episode, complete with 6th "super serious" one made me realize this is just another TM stuff, and not my cup of tea at all.
They can't stop with the powerlevel ass-pulling fights, but I can at least stop watching it.

Only for hardcore Fate/ fans.
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Um no, this show isn't for hardcore Fate fans. It's the exact opposite I would say. Type-Moon shows are dark and serious, which is why this show was met with anger and disappointment by many fans of the franchise. The producers might be trying to reach a wider audience by making Fate/kaleid funny and cheerful. If you look at the details, this show is actually a parody of the magical girl genre.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
It STARTS OFF as a parody, but after a few episodes, it's back to the typical no-fun Fate atmosphere.
And reaching a wider audience? A WIDER audience? With a LOLI lead?
You can't be serious; loli is a niché which hardly sells in the firs place, if they wanted a wider audience they'd just use Saber again.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7
Ha, that spoiler[maid outfit]. I do admit that Miyu looked quite cute in it. She should wear it more often Anime hyper

Looks like Illya is in a bit of spoiler[depression] after what happened. I wonder if she and Miyu will make up next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10