• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The worst parents in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I forgot Shigofumi and Sankarea. Both should've been instapicks for me. Ryuji in the Kodomo no Jikan anime (note: not the manga) is a pretty bad parent too, though not nearly at those levels.

I think there's a line between parents who are "negligent" and parents who are "abusive", despite both being terrible, and that line determines if I'm disgusted by the character or facepalming over them.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I like Sayako's parents from Melody of Oblivion. Well, from her brother's point of view, they're good parents but they allowed him, encouraged him, to spoiler[ present her as a human sacrifice, to be eaten alive in a most gruesome fashion, just so his position in the world will gain a little more favor.

The kicker? In a few more months, someone else will have to be sacrificed. Those monster gods be hungry.

Abuse, neglect, human sacrifice. They're all about equal, huh?]

The only one worse is Angelica's dad from Gunslinger Girl. He spoiler[ did try to kill her in a hit and run incident for insurance money but merely crippled her and killed her dog in the process.] Nice guy.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. -TK]
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, Animegomaniac, not everyone has seen Gunslinger Girl. Maybe you should be using spoilers tags when revealing important character's backstories.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
As a friendly reminder, please provide the common courtesy of spoiler tags, unless the characteristic or reveal you're using as evidence is so obvious, that it doesn't really need 'em.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The worst parent in anime i would have to say is Natusno's dad from shiki spoiler[ when you have vampires running around you do not leave your son's window open and throw away talismans that will help keep vampires out of your son's room spoiler[]
]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Gendo Ikari yet. I mean, seriously, the way he emotionally murders Shinji throughout the course of the series is enough to make one want to report him to child services.

I think the reason he wasn't mentioned right off is that most reasonable people would tend to see him as an outright enemy and forget about the parent part of it.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Lolita princess wrote:
The worst parent in anime i would have to say is Natusno's dad from shiki spoiler[ when you have vampires running around you do not leave your son's window open and throw away talismans that will help keep vampires out of your son's room]

I don't know what your approach to parenting is, but spoiler[if my child started ranting about vampires and started hanging anti-evil talismans all over his room, I would stop him from doing that, then consult my significant other on how to stop him from such bizarre mania.] This is exactly what Natsuno's father did--though he did let his temper show too much. I'm sure this is what a normal parent would do as well.

I'll nominate Tokiomi Tohsaka from Fate/Zero. Some of the background material (which was, of course, not in the anime) justifies his giving Sakura to the Matous quite well, but then we get this gem of a line: spoiler["My children should be proud that they get the privilege of fighting to the death for the Holy Grail."] Yeah...
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

I don't know what your approach to parenting is, but spoiler[if my child started ranting about vampires and started hanging anti-evil talismans all over his room, I would stop him from doing that, then consult my significant other on how to stop him from such bizarre mania.]

I think it was Stephen King who once said something like "Our greatest vulnerability against the supernatural is our refusal to accept or even consider it. When we choose to protect our own perceptions of what is normal more than the safety of our loved ones we fail as human beings."

So I agree that writing off vampires is actually the more normal response. In a fictional story it'll get you killed but the characters don't know that Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's bought up most of the Sohma parents in Fruits Basket. Most of them are crazy and absolutely awful parents.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'm surprised no one's bought up most of the Sohma parents in Fruits Basket. Most of them are crazy and absolutely awful parents.

I think that's because the anime doesn't get that far into that because it only told 1/3 of the story. Once you get through the manga, the parents can pretty much be split into three different categories. First you have Kagura, Kisa and (despite his Mom's loopiness) Hiro's parents, who seem to actually be doing a fairly good job considering the curse. Kisa's Mom has a mini-meltdown at one point and needs help for a brief period of time, but I think under the circumstances that fell into the realm of normal.

Then, you have the two special cases in the middle - Ritsu and Momiji. Ritsu's mom clearly loves Ri, but is screwing Ri up because she's not handling the curse well at all. Momiji's case is, of course, the most tragic of all, because considering that his curse spoiler[drove his mother to mental illness] his father was in a no-win situation. spoiler[He's tormented by the fact that he's essentially abandoned a wonderful child who's done nothing wrong, but he would have been equally culpable had he abandoned the woman who he exchanged life vows with for not being able to handle her son transforming into a rabbit - and think about how many people would actually be able to rise to that challenge if the Sohma curse were theoretically real)].

Finally, we have the truly horrific parents - Kyo's mom due to mental illness and Kyo's dad, Aya and Yuki's mom and Rin's parents - the four actually evil parents in the story.

Interestingly, Haru's parents are the only ones we never meet out of the younger members, and all we get is a brief comment from Haru in the manga suggesting that his Mom is vain and self-absorbed. Considering that the other younger Zodiac members' relationship with their parents are entered into with some detail as these relationships in some cases had an effect on who they are as people, it's a possibly deliberate omission which may have been designed to leave things up to our imagination.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but why is this still going on? If we're talking about the WORST anime parents then Medusa, Shou F*cker, and Yuno Gasai's mother should be all we need to talk about. Yeah. A few others range from neglectful to abusive, but these ones are just evil.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm sorry but why is this still going on? If we're talking about the WORST anime parents then Medusa, Shou F*cker, and Yuno Gasai's mother should be all we need to talk about. Yeah. A few others range from neglectful to abusive, but these ones are just evil.

1 What Shou Tucker did to Nina, he did to her mother first years before so frankly I blame the State Alchemists for being freaking idiots; "Ohh" and "Ahh" rather than "What did you do?!"

2 Yuno's eviler than her mother and father ever were. What else can you say about someone who killed spoiler[both her parents and then herself but lived to kill again?]. Or was it the other way around?

3 Medusa and Chrona... Seeing how Chrona's abilities are centered around pain and blood, there wasn't all that much of a chance for ... it... anyway. And the manga built on their unrelationship to the natural, ingenious, breaking point.

3a Medusa... She was a better worse witch than a mother but she was a bad mom to become a better witch which made her a decent mother as a wicked witch.

Really. Most Wicked Witches eat children.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
I was mainly talking about parents/potential parents who never get called out for their abuse. Medusa and Tucker are made clear that you're not supposed to like them. Then again, they're still bad parents, called out or not, so I guess I'll go with it.

I guess I would also add Genma Saotome from Ranma 1/2- Let's be honest: this man is the cause of 80% of Ranma's problems. Happosai is the other 20%.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
While I certainly would not list Genma Saotome as a good father, most of what he does can be attributed to stupidity rather than evil intent. Happosai is all evil intent though.

I would say that the majority of Ranma's problems are his own fault. His personality causes problems even when his father is nowhere to be found.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
His proximity to daffy girls causes problems even when his father is nowhere to be found.

Fixed it for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4