• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll: Biglobe's Most Popular Winter 2011 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Angel Beats actually did genuinely move me as well... that actually, physically made me cry more than once, heh.

For a second there I thought you said Angel Blade
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
A list where Oniichan no crap beat a bunch of better shows doesn't look very reliable to me.

To a certain degree, I should not really be surprised that moe shows beat more mainstream shows such as Bakuman and Beelzebub. After all, none of those shows contain fanservice and have only a small handful of female characters.

In Beelzebub's case, the average age of female cast is anywhere from 17-early 20's. Considering the main female characters (Hilda, Aoi) are strong willed and quite strong, they don't fit into the standard moe category.

In Bakuman, the characters start young and eventually become young adults so the starting age was between 14-15 and ending around early to late 20's. Also, Aoki Ko one of main feamle characters is not only determined, hard working and quite intelligent, but could also be viewed as a role model as well. She worked very hard in the beginning of the series to get where she is in the manga/anime today.

Truthfully if that were my list, I'd pick Beelzebub first and Bakuman second. But oh well,at least Beelzebub was number two on a previous list not to long ago.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Bakuman anime ends at when they are still at high school. lol

maybe you are talking about manga or season 2 which is not air yet. Beelzebub is getting bad, do you even see the last 3 eps? There is no way people will vote for it after seeing those eps. Again, we are talking about anime here.

Edit: also Bakuman doesn't get good until they are in college. It has Death Note feel to it in the second half, in a different way.

The manga vol sale also picked it too. 500k+ on the latest vol.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Angel Beats actually did genuinely move me as well... that actually, physically made me cry more than once, heh.

For a second there I thought you said Angel Blade

Whoa dang, that's a hilarious comparison Laughing. If that kind of show were to ever profoundly move me or make me cry, I think it would be a result of horrendous self-pity or loathing for the world/the state of humanity more than anything else...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
egoist wrote:
A list where Oniichan no crap beat a bunch of better shows doesn't look very reliable to me.

To a certain degree, I should not really be surprised that moe shows beat more mainstream shows such as Bakuman and Beelzebub. After all, none of those shows contain fanservice and have only a small handful of female characters.

Oniichan no whatever isn't a moe show. It's comedy, and incest, flavored with loli.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Bakuman anime ends at when they are still at high school. lol

maybe you are talking about manga or season 2 which is not air yet. Beelzebub is getting bad, do you even see the last 3 eps? There is no way people will vote for it after seeing those eps. Again, we are talking about anime here.

I will have to admit, I was tempted to put a question mark next to my Bakuman statement. I've read some manga that Viz has licensed but have also read some stuff on Wikipedia, but have not had the chance to really watch the anime of Bakuman. Eventually I will, but it's all about when.

Okay straight up Spotlessden, I can see where your coming from. The manga and anime are much different. In the manga, the tournament style fighting begins early on and does not have much filler at all. A couple of pages maybe, but not that much.

However, that is why I've been really enjoying the anime. Don't get me wrong, I love the manga. There literally have been times where either I laughed so hard, several minutes have gone by and or I am at the edge of seat wondering what Oga will do next.

But the anime is taking a different route. But with this route, we get to see characters that are usually neglected, such as Oga'a father and his mother. I'll admit, I really enjoyed watching the episode where Oga's Dad did a spinning grovel, it was quite hilarious.

But I will admit, I enjoy the anime because there is always some action going on and has always kept my attention up to this point. I like how Oga knocked out the "strong" people at first (in record time as well) and that is what made the manga special.

Whereas with the anime, you get to see the inner workings. Some of the long running gags are occasionally explained and for the most part, very entertaining to watch. However I am watching anime for a decade now and undoubtedly what is great for me, may not be great for another person.

But I can see how a person may not like the anime so much. To some, it may be as fast as the manga and I guess some people like their anime to get right to the action consistently.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
Guys, guys, as the articles states, self-selected respondents made the survey. Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guys, guys, as the articles states, self-selected respondents made the survey. Laughing

but i think the survey is very accurate on what people want. We will just have to wait for the blu-ray sale to backup the survey.

I expect to see alot of Madoka Magica, IS, and index in top 3.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:
Funimation!!! Look at this list!!! Magical girls are in your future! Very Happy

If Madoka is Evangelion then My HiME is the Sailor Moon of magical girls.................*chuckle*
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I expect to see alot of Madoka Magica, IS, and index in top 3.

You don't have to wait, IS has sold like 33 thousand copies and Madoka could go as far as 80k. Nothing else from the Winter season comes close, even adding Index II (23k) and Star Driver (14k) doesn't change things...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
You guys are weird. Don't you get it? This list is basically based on how entertaining a show was, not how "good" it was.Artistic value means nothing if it's not entertaining. Look at Madoka: both artistic value AND entertainment all in one.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Madoka bored the sheet out of me.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Madoka bored the sheet out of me.

Well, you are in a very small (but annoingly vocal) minority.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
The most accurate portrayer of actual popularity of the show. Very nice.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
Popularity is different from quality. IS was popular for the reason that it packed decent fighting scenes and it had the moe/fanservice. And what a lot of the shows this season didn't have but IS had was a real plot. Like, Wandering Son and Oniichan were both like slice of life and stuff so nothing really happened in them and as a result people probably stopped watching it after a while.

But I got to say, since I only stayed faithful to Madoka and IS this season, this poll looks pretty legit to me. Although I am surprised that Wandering Son and Fractale got like 2 digit ranks.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4