• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Moon licensed by Viz, vol 1 in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
This is awsome news my friend and i love the series (i have only read have the manga) but i wonder how Viz is going to do the dub (they could have dub voices and let the song be doen by the origanly Japanese voice actors like that one voluem of Love Hina).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
I knew it got licensed a few months ago though I didn't know it was Viz. I will now cries my eyes out as I contemplate the dubbed version of Full Moon wo Sagashite by Viz. I mean, they already did a horrible translation of the manga, now they gotta go complete the set by dubbing Full Moon. *cries* Why!

Maybe because people have been waiting for a U.S. release and Viz is a business and they *gasp* dub and relese anime?

I was hoping Fullmoon wo Sagashite fans would not be so ignorant, but it seems I was wrong. And you did not know it licensed months ago; NO ONE did. The only way you could have possibly had an inkling is if you worked for Viz, but that is clearly impossible considering the content of your post.

I just love your logic. Since it's an official enlish translation it must be terrible. Rolling Eyes I've never heard anyone complain about the Fullmoon manga translation and complaining about a dub before it even comes out (unless it's from 4kids) is just stupid. Narutards where moaning and angsting after Viz announced the rights to Naruto but the general consensus seems to be that the dub is pretty good. The only concern here seems to be whether or not they will sub the songs on the subtitle track.

And you conviently ignored the fact that there is a subtitle track available to watch. In the DVD age, you can choose to watch subs or dubs. No one is forcing you to watch the dub version.

You seem to have some aversion to actually paying for something but it's not like the fansubs won't still be available somewhere for cheap pricks like you.

coolGAL wrote:
This is awsome news my friend and i love the series (i have only read have the manga) but i wonder how Viz is going to do the dub (they could have dub voices and let the song be doen by the origanly Japanese voice actors like that one voluem of Love Hina).

That would certainly be the cheap/lazy route, so it's a very good possibility. I'm figuring they will just have whatever voice actors they use for the regular voices do the singing, who will hopefully be decent singers.

Since Viz suprised us with a pretty good job on Naruto, I don't want to assume Viz is going to do a crappy job on this.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why everyone is calling for subtitled songs. a) insert songs normally don't get subtitled and b) that's what DVD inserts are for.

As an aside, is it just me or does kanji/kana subtitles look really stupid?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone is calling for subtitled songs. a) insert songs normally don't get subtitled and b) that's what DVD inserts are for.

As an aside, is it just me or does kanji/kana subtitles look really stupid?

Because these arent' just insert songs. The main character (and in some cases, other characters) actually sings the songs.

Mitsuki is dying of throat cancer but refuses to have surgery because she doesn't want to lose her voice from the surgery. She meets two shinigami who are sent to prevent her from meeting someone who will prevent her death. They transform her into a healthy 16 year old version of herself in order to allow her to become a singer.

Even if it was an insert song, it should still be subtitled. Not subtitling insert songs is just being lazy and just gives people more reason to watch fansubs over legit releases.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
Reeko wrote:
No credit to me for telling? xD Oh well. Yay Full Moon!

There was a thread in the forum too. I thought we had moderators.

watch Nagisa delete this post just watch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Yay! About time it gets licensed Very Happy Now all I want is that they don't make the package all pinky to spare the stares Laughing Red is fine. As for the singing, that should be Vizs' number one priority because THAT'S WHAT THE SHOW IS ALL ABOUT. Second, the normal voice acting. These two are what drives the show. If those two fail most will just watch the japanese version. So please Viz do yourselves a favor and don't screw up!
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Wai! Full Moon is licensed!! Which means DVDs with pretty covers and extras. Anime hyper My one and only concern (and it won't bother me too much, just slightly irritated) is that hopefully, they make the right decision for the songs. Once again, it won't bother me too much since I never watch dubs anyway. But for those who do, I hope that VIZ will do a wonderful job with dubbing. Full Moon's songs are wonderful and I love 'em ^^

VIZ has a lot of pressuring riding on them with Full Moon and hopefully they delivery. =D
Karala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
... And there was much rejoicing.

The only thing I'm worried about is whether Viz will sub the songs or not. I hear they don't usually sub songs for some reason. The songs are as important as the dialogue in this show, so I would be very disappointed if Viz doesn't sub the songs.
I'd be mad if they did, the songs are some of the (if not THE) best I've ever heard in anime, to sub these talented songs with dubbed over crap would be horrible.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
... And there was much rejoicing.

The only thing I'm worried about is whether Viz will sub the songs or not. I hear they don't usually sub songs for some reason. The songs are as important as the dialogue in this show, so I would be very disappointed if Viz doesn't sub the songs.

I'd be mad if they did, the songs are some of the (if not THE) best I've ever heard in anime, to sub these talented songs with dubbed over crap would be horrible.

Um, yeah, that was an 's', not a 'd.' Subbed, not dubbed.

I want them to have subtitles for the songs on the sub track.

However, they should have the songs dubbed on the dub track. It would be wierd to have the character speaking in english and then suddenly sing in Japanese with a different voice.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It's worth noting that Right Stuf has now removed the listing - so it seems to be an unknown for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Guess I can knock another item off my "hot license" list.

BLEACH announcement in 3 . . . 2 . . .
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
It's worth noting that Right Stuf has now removed the listing - so it seems to be an unknown for now.

So this basically means Viz didn't license it?
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
That's probably not what that means. You're really not supposed to list things like that so early. The Full Moon manga, for example, was listed at Amazon months before official info on it being licensed was out, but it was in fact licensed (maybe Viz was just waiting for it's Shojo Beat line to start). It probably is licensed by Viz, but it's not official yet.
Emichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I was hoping Fullmoon wo Sagashite fans would not be so ignorant, but it seems I was wrong. And you did not know it licensed months ago; NO ONE did. The only way you could have possibly had an inkling is if you worked for Viz, but that is clearly impossible considering the content of your post.

I am not the one who said they knew it was licensed months ago, but I thought I would point out that you WOULD have an inkling that it was licensed if you happened to know the person/company that was shopping the show around to all the different anime companies looking for a buyer. I have known that Full Moon was being shopped around (along with Akazukin Chacha and Gakuen Alice) for ages. I never asked if they ever found a buyer for it though, so I didn't realize they did Anime smile
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

So this basically means Viz didn't license it?

It may not be official, or they may not have worked out all the details - or it may not be licensed and somebody at the company jumped the gun thinking it was or it may only be optioned and not licensed yet, or....

It's really hard to say - we just have too little info to go on.

Love the username btw - listen to him on my way home from work. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3