• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan #11 Is 1st Volume to Top Chart for 2 Weeks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

Quote:
Momokochan
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am Post subject:
aww snaaap! take that shonen jump, again!

The folks at Weekly Jump turned it down because it's nothing like a Jump manga. I don't know why people make such a big deal about its initial rejection.

YES. And jump did the right thing. With the series they have they dont really need shingeki sales in the least PERIOD and more importantly Shingeki does not fit a pure shounen magazine like Shounen Jump, again Shingeki has one foot in the terrain of seinen, just like Claymore, reason it is in a magazine like Square Jump, shounen both, but with one foot in seinen terrains and dont fit the aura and spirit of shounen jump, as they both are more mature and quite violent, had Isajama approached Square Jump other could be the story now, but I bet he wanted to go hand in hand with the likes of the most popular shounen magazine and most popular shounen series, who knows, he maybe wa soffered to be published in another jump magazine but declined ater being turned down in shouhen jump and feeling others would not give him enough exposure, well, he did right with this result, and I am sure Jump is not lamenting it that much either.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's some news. I really got to get back to this series. I hope that the anime can go this far.
pykrete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
According to the internet, the exact words the SJ editor used was:

Quote:
This is manga, we want JUMP

This seems to be the oldest English source of the quote - http://deathberry.com/index.php?topic=192.575;wap2

Maybe we need to hunt out the original Japanese, because that quote does make the Shonen Jump editor look pretty foolish especially since the manga in question is Shingeki no Kyojin.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
GVman wrote:

Quote:
Momokochan
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am Post subject:
aww snaaap! take that shonen jump, again!

The folks at Weekly Jump turned it down because it's nothing like a Jump manga. I don't know why people make such a big deal about its initial rejection.

YES. And jump did the right thing. With the series they have they don't really need shingeki sales in the least PERIOD and more importantly Shingeki does not fit a pure shounen magazine like Shounen Jump, again Shingeki has one foot in the terrain of seinen, just like Claymore, reason it is in a magazine like Square Jump, shounen both, but with one foot in seinen terrains and don't fit the aura and spirit of shounen jump, as they both are more mature and quite violent, had Isajama approached Square Jump other could be the story now, but I bet he wanted to go hand in hand with the likes of the most popular shounen magazine and most popular shounen series, who knows, he maybe wa soffered to be published in another jump magazine but declined ater being turned down in shouhen jump and feeling others would not give him enough exposure, well, he did right with this result, and I am sure Jump is not lamenting it that much either.

Weekly Shonen Jump did the right thing, but not because Shingeki no Kyojin is closer to seinen. They didn't accepted it, because of the quality of his drawings, the quality of the history(he showed only the pilot, and I heard it isn't that great. He later improved on that.) and because of the quantity of violence. Unfortunately the more a magazine is popular, it have to be more careful about what it shows and WSJ is the most popular manga magazine. I believe that if he had a better drawing skill and quality story(at the time) they could have accepted the title, even with the violence. WSJ was the magazine that had Hokuto no Ken, a title as much, or even more gory than Shingeki, and that was in their golden Era!
One of Isayama priorities wasn't going hand to hand with the likes of the most popular shounen magazine and most popular shounen series! If that was the case, then he wouldn't had serialized is manga in a new and small magazine like Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. Till this day that magazine is smaller than Square Jump. Square jump sells around 330k copies per week while bessatsu Shounen Magazine sells around 60k(it had a good increase, because of Shingeki Kyojin anime popularity, so right now maybe is around 150k). Please, don't confuse the popularity of a title and his magazine. JoJo right now his in a magazine(ultra jump) that sells around 60k copies per week while he sells around 700k per volume. In the case of Shingeki it selling around 1.4M, while as I already said, his magazine sells around 60-150k. Square Jump is from the same company has Weekly Shonen Jump so if they thought of directing Isayama to Square Jump they would. For what I understand of what happened he just wasn't accepted, as a new series serialized, in one serialization meetings, that means he needed to improve his work and return in another meeting. They didn't sent him away. So they don't have any heavy conscience about not having it. He doesn't even is in a rival magazine, just a rival company.

What do you mean by pure and not pure Shonen? Manga for pure teenagers boys and not for pure teenagers boys? Shonen and Seinen aren't genres! Probably you're talking about "Battle Manga", but there exist Shonen and Seinen that are "Ecchi"(Example: Shonen - To Love-ru, Seinen - Prison School), "Slice of Life"(Example: Shonen - Silver Spoon and Seinen - Space Brothers), "Horror"(Example: Shonen - Hakaijuu, Seinen - Uzumaki), "Romance" (Example: Shonen - I's, Seinen - Emma), "Comedy/Gag" (Example: shonen - Gintama, Seinen - Azazel-san), "Sport" (Example: Shonen - Kuroko no basket, Seinen - Real) or are from other genres. They are Demographics, or in other words, target audiences, and in this case decided by age and sex. They have nothing to do with what content they can/should have but with how is decided which contents are shown and how the contents to be shown are presented. Each author and Publisher make this decisions having in considerations what attracts and what alienates their target audience. (As Oda said in an interview. After he writes a "name/draft" for a chapter he reads that chapter taking in consideration what a teenagers of 14/15 years would think about it. If he thinks it isn't satisfactory for them, he throws that name to the garbage and remakes from scratch that chapter "name/draft")
Probably the problem of thinking that violence is something that characteristic of Seinen is because people think Shonen is for kids, and kids shouldn't watch violence so the only demographic with that content is Seinen. But the Shonen audience is pre-teens and teenagers, not kids. Things for kids are called "Kodomo" and are things like Pokemon and Doraemon, not Dragon Ball or One Piece and certainly not Ecchi things like To love-ru, Fairy Tail or History Strongest Disciple Kenichi.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
pykrete wrote:
According to the internet, the exact words the SJ editor used was:

Quote:
This is manga, we want JUMP

This seems to be the oldest English source of the quote - http://deathberry.com/index.php?topic=192.575;wap2

Maybe we need to hunt out the original Japanese, because that quote does make the Shonen Jump editor look pretty foolish especially since the manga in question is Shingeki no Kyojin.

That quote seems something coming from a rumor and with the only objective to be choking or is just the short conclusion of the conversation that Isayama had with the editor! I don't really believe that the editor only said that, or that he was so blunt about that! Is expected that when and editor see a work, it will explain what is missing in detail, giving advice of what is already good and what should be improved. That way it would be good for the mangaka and for the magazine. In that way the artist could work to improve and then return providing a better quality work. If in fact the editor just said that then he is a really bad one.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
@bigivel: I remember Oda saying something slightly different... Didn't he mean that he writes/draws what his 15-year old self would like, instead than generic 15-year old boys?

It would make more sense, since the majority of OP readers aren't children and even teens, and not just males by far...

More on-topic... well, I start reading/watching AoT soon. Should I start from the anime or the manga? I usually like the manga more than their anime adaptations, so I watch the anime first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2