• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Sword Art Online, Accel World Light Novels, More Madoka Magica Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winterbunny12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well this isn't all that surprising considering how popular it, though personally Sword Art Online never looked all that interesting to me. It just seemed like one of those overly popular shows for some reason that I could never understand. Alas, I will buy it for the hope of more light novels being released here.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
IS IT POSSIBLE TO KISS A COMPANY?

Sword Art Online novels AND The Different Story! OMG.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As long as enough people are buyers, they should be able to finish the LNs.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
Baccano! is 20 volumes and still not finished. That is larger than both SAO and AW, and has a considerably smaller audience/fanbase. I wouldn't count on anyone licensing it.

I feel compelled to point out that SAO is currently at 13 volumes, and Accel World at 14 volumes. SAO will probably finish before volume 20 (not counting SAO: Progressive) and Accel World is at volume 14, and can probably go on for as long as the author wishes. That's not exactly short.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
SAO could do wonders for the LN market in America. I have a feeling this will be the breakthrough title that will cause more and more LNs to get localized.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great news for LN fans of all stripes! Let's hope these suckers sell like wildfire and convince Viz to bring some more over, like Toradora!, Golden Time, Sayonara Piano Sonata, Red Data Girl, and many, many more!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Winterbunny12 wrote:
Alas, I will buy it for the hope of more light novels being released here.

I. just. ....can't.

Sure, I would love to have Baccano and Durarara localized, but seeing the excuse Seven Seas offered for why they are not viable (their length), and then seeing the length of these series (in the teens, and ongoing), .....just lets me know that they are never going to localize the titles I'm interested in whether I support these or not.

I didn't like either SAO or Accel World enough to want to buy either of them, and I am not going to be manipulated by this "we-might-license-what-you-like-if-you-support-what-you-don't" tactic. It's marketing bullshit AFAIC.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I didn't like either SAO or Accel World enough to want to buy either of them, and I am not going to be manipulated by this "we-might-license-what-you-like-if-you-support-what-you-don't" tactic. It's marketing bullshit AFAIC.

Its not "Marketing Bullshit". Theres no other way for them to know that there is a market for LNs if people don't buy the LNs that are released. But if SAO and AW become big hits, then that tells them there IS a market for LNs.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Light novels are a very poor form of media in North America. Does anyone feel like that this may do more harm than good for Yen Press?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Omg, I forgot how bad I wanted this. I wanted to read the light novels for SAO before watching the anime on principle (because I like to see the source material first) but I've never been able to tolerate its fan translation. I wonder if the translation will be smooth. The Haruhi translations were so, so good, but wasn't that a joint project with Little, Brown? I can hope they'll get someone as good, I guess. Maybe this'll do well because the anime's running on TV, unlike with other translated light novels' animes.

tuxedocat wrote:
Sure, I would love to have Baccano and Durarara localized, but seeing the excuse Seven Seas offered for why they are not viable (their length), and then seeing the length of these series (in the teens, and ongoing)

Implying Seven Seas is the one licensing this and is somehow being hypocritical. A barrier for one company may not be a barrier for another.

Last edited by Altorrin on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
always good to hear more light novels getting licensed.

want, want, want that MM: different story. Very Happy
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

The only thing the sales of the Light Novels for SAO and Accel World will say is how much people like these two series.

I'll be buying the SAO novels, but I sure the hell wouldn't want to buy Baccano or Durarara novels.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
While I wasn't a fan of either of the anime series, I will still probably get these because I heard they are much better. There are much better light novels out there, but I'm always happy to see the light novel market increase in America, so this will probably make a pretty big difference.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Sure, I would love to have Baccano and Durarara localized, but seeing the excuse Seven Seas offered for why they are not viable (their length), and then seeing the length of these series (in the teens, and ongoing)

Implying Seven Seas is the one licensing this and is somehow being hypocritical. A barrier for one company may not be a barrier for another.

The representative for Seven Seas in the first post stated they are not after any series over 10 volumes long. So there is nothing to say this couldn't work for Yen Press.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Its not "Marketing Bullshit". Theres no other way for them to know that there is a market for LNs if people don't buy the LNs that are released. But if SAO and AW become big hits, then that tells them there IS a market for LNs.

If so, they will survive just fine without me buying titles I don't want. I buy plenty of Yen press' manga titles, so it evens out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4