• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tekkaman Blade Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
They didn't say they were. The Saban dub is called "Teknoman" (possibly because the original series "Tekkaman the Space Knight" had been licensed in the 80's and they couldn't-or were too lazy to-get the rights to the Tekkaman name), but the uncut release is still being called "Tekkaman Blade".

This still bites, though. Yes, I'll have the chance to make up for my fansub habit, but dammit, they should do an uncut English dub as well. Suddenly I'm beginning to understand the fansubbies. If this release is sub only, they better make it a budget release. No way in hell I'd pay $30 for 5 sub-only episodes. I can just barely justify paying $30 for five dubbed episodes of Overman King Gainer. Of course, that's because the OKG dub sucks...
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god! Thank you Media Blasters.

I watched this series when I was a kid on TV. At that time I wasn't an anime fan yet. The dub was great. And now knowing who voiced the characters (e.g. Wendee Lee, Michael McConnohie, Hayashibara Megumi and Yokoyama Chisa), I'm very keen on watching it again, and this time in both languages.

Yes! Smile

I'm liking Media Blasters more and more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
They didn't say they were. The Saban dub is called "Teknoman" (possibly because the original series "Tekkaman the Space Knight" had been licensed in the 80's and they couldn't-or were too lazy to-get the rights to the Tekkaman name), but the uncut release is still being called "Tekkaman Blade".

This still bites, though. Yes, I'll have the chance to make up for my fansub habit, but dammit, they should do an uncut English dub as well. Suddenly I'm beginning to understand the fansubbies. If this release is sub only, they better make it a budget release. No way in hell I'd pay $30 for 5 sub-only episodes. I can just barely justify paying $30 for five dubbed episodes of Overman King Gainer. Of course, that's because the OKG dub sucks...

Well, Media Blasters is releasing it in sets of 14-15 episodes each with a SRP of $59.98 for a total of 3 sets.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if maybe the OVA's could get a release?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Haha I JUST finished this series today and I find out it got licensed. It was a great series and one that I think definitley deserves a spot on my shelf. I'm not too interested in the Teknoman dub being released simply because of editing, but it's nice that MB is going to release both. I also like the idea of releasing the series in boxsets/a set. I'll just need to pool some money aside so I can buy the uncut subs (the ones I got were very rough near the end and at times just plain horrid so I would love to see some real subs for the show). I'm really liking this trend with companies looking to older titles (I hope it continues and becomes more frequent). I mean yeah a good new show pops up here and there but if ya lose faith in anime (like some people in the recent thread) all ya gotta do is look back. I hope Tekkaman Blade does really well, it's definitley a show that deserves to be recognized.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If Media Blasters were a single person, I would totally make out with that person.

I mean, seriously...Giant Robo, Iczer 1, even the Kakugo no Susume/Apocalypse Zero manga, and now this? You people are beautiful.
Ryusui wrote:
Of course, that's because the OKG dub sucks...

>:|!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit worried when I heard it was going to be dub only. Glad to hear about the uncut sub release later.
denkigrve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Out-freaking-standing. I've been a Tekkaman Blade fan for ages. I remember watching Teknoman growing up. I used to wake up early on sundays in anticipation. Good ol UPN... I picked up the hkDVDs of the series since I was sure no-one was going to release this series in the US. I also have the Tekkaman Blade model kit, and the Tekkaman Blastor kit. I even got Tekkaman Blade II. I'm really excited to see this release. Great job MB. I'll be buying both sets of DVDs!
TF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote
FINALLY they are gonna release, Very Happy
let's open up the champagne bottles and drink till we need to crawl to the toilets Very Happy
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoyed this new trend of releasing older anime by MB.

I'm really looking forward to buying Tekkaman Blade (uncut) and seeing what other old gems MB license (hopefully they're will be some more later this year but thats just me being greedy).
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Cool that we're getting Tekkaman in R1 and Teknoman for those that want it Smile

***Sings the Happy Happy, Joy Joy Song***
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
If Media Blasters were a single person, I would totally make out with that person.

You could make out with John Sirabella.

If Media Blasters were one person, he'd be that one person.

-t
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I will hopefully be getting both the Us Teknoman version, and the uncut Japanese version.

Mostly becuase I watched Teknoman as a kid, and I want my little brother to see it too. But I need the subbed version to see what it was really like. (I'm loving media blasters for looking into old anime series. Hope they do more)
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
...But I still think it bites royally that we're only getting a sub version.

Look at ADV. ADV has released Gatchaman and Macross, two of Tatsunoko's other heavily-mangled legends, uncut on DVD with both a new English dub and the original Japanese version with subtitles. Why can't Media Blasters do the same?

...Of course, if Media Blasters also picked up Kyatto Ninden Teyandee and released it uncut...

Heck, Maple Town Story (and Palm Town, which was never aired in the U.S. and isn't even available in Japan!) would be very much appreciated. Like Tekkaman Blade, MTS was licensed by Saban, but then again, they're Toei and not Tatsunoko...hmm. Getting the rights from them would probably be like taking a stroll down The Stinking Canyon Of The Ferocious Meat-Thirsty Hogulus while wearing a t-bone steak around your neck. (Apologies for the fairly obtuse Invader Zim reference.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
...But I still think it bites royally that we're only getting a sub version.

Live with it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3