• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toyota USA Plays Hatsune Miku+Corolla Commercials

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0o0o0o

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
what is the thing that came out of that car omg

I would like to know who rendered Miku for Toyota so i may send him/her much hate mail.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Her voice sounds even worse when it's not in a full song.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
These commercials seem to be of lower quality than of your standard car commercials. I mean, they even got her name wrong. In Japanese it's Hatsune Miku, but in English it's Miku Hatsune. Inverting the order is just poor grammar... unless the names were separated by a comma... in which case their choice of saying her name is just dumb.

Are these really going to be aired on US TV? I'd assume most viewers would be confused at who Miku is rather than run down to Toyota and pickup a new Corolla...
If the longer version is shown, most Americans will harbor resentment to Toyota for damaging their ears with that shrill, glass-breaking scream that Miku does on the stage.

I have to second the Hulu ad campaign, there's no way this would fly on mainstream TV. Especially not with that horrible song. Appealing to the masses of America with Hatsune Miku is almost akin to appealing to them with K-On; it's not going to work as the American masses (thankfully) don't consist of rabid otaku. (Rabid otaku who like meritless music, but I digress.)
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
I guess that's maybe kind of cool, in a way? But honestly the only thing I could think of after those adds was....So, it's the official car of a fictional character?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wish they'd air this instead of the blonde haired s***stain that hawks the Toyota Highlander.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I guess that's maybe kind of cool, in a way? But honestly the only thing I could think of after those adds was....So, it's the official car of a fictional character?

Eh kind of like how bart simpson is the official sponsor for butterfingers and stuff. What makes this any different from anything else?
Jarm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
It's just Toyota trying to pull a stunt like Subaru did with Pleiades did in Japan. I think it's awesome and cool for miku's debut, but not really necessary since the Corolla is a great car eitherway...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Jarm wrote:
It's just Toyota trying to pull a stunt like Subaru did with Pleiades did in Japan. I think it's awesome and cool for miku's debut, but not really necessary since the Corolla is a great car eitherway...

The Corolla hasn't been great since the AE86.
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
What's everyone so butthurt about? This commercial's a fun way to introduce Hatsune Miku to the United States.

Sunday, ABC prime time NBA finals. Derrick Rose shoots a 3. CM BREAK.

HATSUNE MIKU TIME! OH YEAH!
coral422

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Wow, Miku on the red carpet? That's some class right there

Like the Miku phenomenon that won't be stopping anytime soon, Toyota cars aren't going to stop either Wink
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
Hey! There's no "Professional driver on closed course." disclaimer! Anime hyper Lol. Still, this would be awesome if they showed it on TV at least once. Ha ha.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
dizzon wrote:

Eh kind of like how bart simpson is the official sponsor for butterfingers and stuff. What makes this any different from anything else?

One is candy the other is a car, one is sold primarily to kids the other to adults. But fictional characters advertising a product in and of itself isn't what I found odd, just that a motor vehicle could and/or would be designated an OFFICIAL product of a nonentity. That's fine, it's cute, I have nothing against it, only that THAT is what stood out to me.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I mean, they even got her name wrong. In Japanese it's Hatsune Miku, but in English it's Miku Hatsune.
Yet in still, in the end, it's still Miku. No need to complain/point that out no matter how you look at it.

Anyways, as much as I HATE Hatsune Miku with a passion, I admit that seeing something anime related on a American Toyota Commercial seems pretty cool... Though, it just seems so weird that they would use her to represent their Corolla in a commercial...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
Silly Toyota.
Otaku don't spend their money on expensive cars - they spend all of it on naked merchandise. Laughing
(And she's under 16, if otaku have their way.)

R315r4z0r wrote:
These commercials seem to be of lower quality than of your standard car commercials. I mean, they even got her name wrong. In Japanese it's Hatsune Miku, but in English it's Miku Hatsune. Inverting the order is just poor grammar... unless the names were separated by a comma... in which case their choice of saying her name is just dumb.

In Japan, it's [family name] [first name]. In the West, it's [first name] [family name].

MeggieMay wrote:

I'm thinking Hulu and other streaming sites are a big possibility for where they're planning to air them, as well. Still, they may also be planning to show them on U.S. TV. If they do, I would have to wonder if this is an attempt to bring over the Vocaloids craze to the U.S.

Well, there's gonna be an English version of the software....

MeggieMay wrote:

BTW, did anyone else go to the website? There is a very scary version of Miku over there (looks like they got a US Comic artist to draw her or something Laughing ).

It's not scary. It's just a non-moe, more realistic portrayal....
Oops, never mind, that is scary to otaku. Laughing

egoist wrote:
Her voice sounds even worse when it's not in a full song.

Well, it is just a bunch of syllables put together, after all. Can't use it in a conversation. Laughing

Maceart wrote:
What's everyone so butthurt about? This commercial's a fun way to introduce Hatsune Miku to the United States.

Sunday, ABC prime time NBA finals. Derrick Rose shoots a 3. CM BREAK.

HATSUNE MIKU TIME! OH YEAH!

What makes ya think them Bulls will be at the Finals?! Razz
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
The Ad is attention capturing and I like the little details that were added to make sure you know Miku was driving it, very cute. Yah as some have mentioned they use Japanese language method when talking in English, its just something you learn soon, as you know who ever it is being talked about, to flip the name around. It would be cool if Toyota made that car package, color and inside with real gauges and instermentation you use in the car look like Mikus and I don't mean just sticking a decal on it. Oh and that it included a new Vocaloid Software package and a free English version of the Vocaloid software package on the next Service Maintence at Toyota when it comes out.

Its not the 1st car Miku Hatsune has driven. She also drove the KITT car from the 1st Knight Rider series long ago. You might still find that some where to see Laughing .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5