• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Idol's Blake Lewis Dubs English Durarara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
NO WAI!! I wondered what happened to this guy! The last time I saw him was when he hugged Jordin Sparks after the big announcement and walked offstage. o_O And now he's dubbing...

Sweet!
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought he was endearing when he was on TV, but this is kind of a surprise. Hope he does well!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Apparantly... he is the first guy. That's who's listed on ANN's cast page. And Hypeathon apparantly even recognized him, though he wasn't sure until now.

Actuallyyyyy, I didn't recognize him when I heard him play his character. I'm sorry if my post seemed confusing, but I haven't heard of anything about that guy since after his time at American Idol. Frankly I initially thought that was Roger Craig Smith. The reason I said what I said earlier was because I recently read in the Mania anime english track forums that Blake Lewis from American Idol was supposedly in the dub. But until I saw this article, I wasn't really sure. Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Too bad companies are too cheap to put in the effort to dub in-songs.
Come on, bro--I know damn well you've seen BECK. Laughing
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Mad
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch American Idol so I have no idea who this person is... I guess as long as he's good at acting then I wont really care. But I don't see why you would assume that if they can sing then they can act, they don't correspond that much. I just hope he has enough skill to prop up a bit roll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Too bad getting the relevant permissions is difficult and then people complain loudly about it anyway when they do.

Too bad it's not my concern what the companies do and do not try to work out. All I know is the end product, and in most end products, in songs aren't dubbed, which bothers me.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Come on, bro--I know damn well you've seen BECK. Laughing

I wanted to say "excluding Funimation", but I'm not 100% sure all Funimation shows have their songs dubbed. I know all the ones I've seen have the songs dubbed, but I haven't seen every Funimation show. Although, either way, Funimation is a definite exception, so I should've included it anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I briefly misread, "Blake Lewis," as, "Lewis Black," which would have, so far as I'm concerned, been incalculably awesome, if inexplicable. I'm not even sure what Durarara!! is, but few things cannot in some dimension be bettered by furious ranting, except for folk dancing, which nothing can improve.

I clearly need to start getting more than five and a half hours of sleep daily.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mischeivious_lil_kitsune

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
-takes a deep breath- (sings a 'G' note) Yaaaaaaay!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I loved this guy on American Idol and I also loved how (when I read the report On Aniplex's website) he said he's been a huge fan of anime for over a decade <--I love him more for that, I seriously hope if he is good he can voice in many other animes as well.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Too bad getting the relevant permissions is difficult and then people complain loudly about it anyway when they do.

lol Well said, comrade.

I'm very happy to hear this, if for nothing else than because it means the side-story episode 25 is being dubbed and brought to the states but I'm also cautiously optimistic about Lewis portraying Kasuka. I loved the DRRR!! blooper reel and I think he nailed the junior Heiwajima brother's monotone perfectly.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
OMG! I love Blake Lewis! This is Awesome!
branbran626

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Amazing! Embarassed Way to represent Washington State! Ahaha

I agree Blake wasn't an amazing singer, but he's a great entertainer, and hopefully he'll do a fantastic job in the dub!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
*squeak!*
Even more reason for me to watch Durarara! I saw the first few episodes back when it was first airing and always meant to come back to it...

I LOOOVE Blake Lewis. I own his first album in actual CD disc-y-ness... (I mean, really, who buys CDs anymore? Besides me...)

branbran626 wrote:

I agree Blake wasn't an amazing singer, but he's a great entertainer, and hopefully he'll do a fantastic job in the dub!

He's a much better singer in the booth than he is live, but I suppose that's true of many singers. My mom actually made this observation back when he was on American Idol, that his voice is a lot like Sting's; it's not a STRONG voice, but it's a nice voice and he knows how to work it to his advantage.
kadosho

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Blake is an old friend of mine, I knew him before AI.
I'm glad to see Blake doing voice work as well. I hope he delivers a unique voice for his guest character.

Who knows, maybe his vocal background could offer even more fun surprises. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3