• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyde in Anaheim, San Francisco in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sionEmber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute...Hyde is releasing an album stateside? COOL!!! It'd be cooler if more acts from Japan did the same.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
J-Punk band Nicotine released their School of Liberty album stateside.
lazuline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Chaps wrote:
Ah, yes...I love living in such a convenient location. House of Blues is like 20 minutes away from where I live, and naturally AX is close by too. Rolling Eyes

I could say so many things about conventions(like AX) and why

-CLICHE NERD ADAGE USED IRONICLY-

I "avoid them like the plague"...

1) Convention dorks are of the worst kind... pale, potentially obese, socially awkward, and from red states that we elitist Californians usually consider the 3rd world country between California and New York (otherwise referred to as America or Jesus-land).
2) The smells… the awful smells…
3) The butchering of the Japanese language… i.e. “baka na (insert word) -chan”
4) Fat/cross-dressing cosplay…

That Rant aside:

If you are in Anaheim, it might be worth your time to check out the Japanese areas in nearby city of Costa Mesa (Lots of good food and shopping). Otherwise there's always the tourist trap that is Little Tokyo, LA.

Also, for the record, House of Blues Anaheim is a terrible venue. It’s kind of disappointing that Hyde’s agent couldn’t book something like the Troubadour, Fonda, Space land, Knitting factory, etc. (well, he’s not that popular/good outside of anime fans’ reverence for whatever song he wrote for whatever anime -FMA).
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

1) Convention dorks are of the worst kind... pale, potentially obese, socially awkward,

Um, can we have this removed just for the sheer ignorance? I attend ANIME EXPO and I am none of these things. Attacking a group of people with narrow-minded views such as this only displays social ineptitude. If you "avoid them like the plague" how can you make sweeping judgments about what type of people attend them?

lazuline wrote:
(well, he’s not that popular/good outside of anime fans’ reverence for whatever song he wrote for whatever anime -FMA).

As for this comment, I will say I find there is a general lack of "international" music accessibility or exposure in America as of a whole. So your belief that he is not "popular" is correct in that sense. However, unless you have surveyed the Japanese nation as a whole I think randomly implying that he's unpopular is wrong.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:
Chaps wrote:
Ah, yes...I love living in such a convenient location. House of Blues is like 20 minutes away from where I live, and naturally AX is close by too. Rolling Eyes

1) Convention dorks are of the worst kind... pale, potentially obese, socially awkward, and from red states that we elitist Californians usually consider the 3rd world country between California and New York (otherwise referred to as America or Jesus-land).
2) The smells… the awful smells…
3) The butchering of the Japanese language… i.e. “baka na (insert word) -chan”
4) Fat/cross-dressing cosplay…

That Rant aside:

If you are in Anaheim, it might be worth your time to check out the Japanese areas in nearby city of Costa Mesa (Lots of good food and shopping). Otherwise there's always the tourist trap that is Little Tokyo, LA.

Also, for the record, House of Blues Anaheim is a terrible venue. It’s kind of disappointing that Hyde’s agent couldn’t book something like the Troubadour, Fonda, Space land, Knitting factory, etc. (well, he’s not that popular/good outside of anime fans’ reverence for whatever song he wrote for whatever anime -FMA).

Nice generalization of people who attend cons.*note scarasm*
I suggest you make a concerted effort not to make such broad generalizations of people who attend anime cons(or for that matter who attend any sort of entertaiment con).While you have the right to express your opnions there is alot of people who will whole heartedly disagree with you.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Has anyone been to Slim's ? is it a nice friendly place? personally i would do anything to do, but i don't thinik my parents would let me go somewhere in SF they don't think appropriate.

It is a night club, but it says all shows are all ages..
miburoookami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Has anyone been to Slim's ? is it a nice friendly place?

well, like you've said, it's a nightclub which means there will be drunk people. I've been to the Pillow's performance when they came to SF, let's just say, it was a bit crazy.

and since it's Hyde, I can almost see girls pulling hairs, gauging eyes trying to squeeze to the front. I know my sister will be one of them.

Anyway, I am in no way discouraging you to go, just... be kind of prepared. It might be combat zone up front.

lazuline wrote:
(well, he’s not that popular/good outside of anime fans’ reverence for whatever song he wrote for whatever anime -FMA).

although, blue probably said it best, I just wanna point out by saying this showing how LITTLE, you know about jpop.
and my sister will probably scratch your eyes out herself and chug it down with sake.
sionEmber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
J-Punk band Nicotine released their School of Liberty album stateside.

I've been jamming to them since high school, and never once have I considered Nicotine a J-punk rock band. My eyes have been opened...thank you fighterholic. Another great J-punk band is Hi-Standard.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
miburoookami wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

well, like you've said, it's a nightclub which means there will be drunk people. I've been to the Pillow's performance when they came to SF, let's just say, it was a bit crazy.

and since it's Hyde, I can almost see girls pulling hairs, gauging eyes trying to squeeze to the front. I know my sister will be one of them.

Anyway, I am in no way discouraging you to go, just... be kind of prepared. It might be combat zone up front.

I'd probably be like your sister if i was more agressive.
Although i have more confidence since it's a famous place and the shows are all ages, and also kids are allowed in with a parent.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

Yeah... except that it wasn't hyde who wrote that song but another guy in his band that's been one of the most popular JRock bands for, ah, almost ten years... and that hyde on his own is also a very popular solo artist who regularly appears on TV and holds full-packed lives.

But yeah, he's totally unknown.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
miburoookami wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

Yeah, watch out for obnoxious girls. If you've ever been to a concert targeted towards younger girls (Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, etc), I assume it'll be roughly the same atmosphere, what with throngs of rude girls shoving their way to the front, people throwing soda at your head, etc. I mean, Hyde won't be nearly as packed as FOB/MCR/etc, but fangirls can be deadly in numbers, so watch out.

Now excuse me while I retreat back to my dark corner so I can finish this large bag of Cheetos and pray for Jeb Bush to enter the 2008 election. God, I really wish I could get a date, but I'm totally baka and might have to bathe, and that would really cut into my Naruto time, ne??? Sad
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
Steven Hammock wrote:
Okay, I am a STREET TEAM LEADER for Tofu Records, so I feel like shedding some light here.

It's true that both HoB Anaheim and Ticketmaster.com had previously announced the HYDE concert. The tickets were supposed to go on sale at 10:00 AM TUESDAY morning for HoB members, and 10:00 AM WEDNESDAY morning for regular concert-goers.

Either the concert wasn't ever actually planned, or it HASN'T been confirmed yet, because the links to all ticket-purchasing outlets have been removed... disabling HYDE ticket sales for the ANAHEIM concert in the process.

The Street Team Leaders are still waiting for an official announcement from Tofu Records about this concert, and once we get one I will try and post it here.

NOTE THAT THE SAN FRANCISCO SHOW IS STILL SCHEDULED FOR JULY 5TH!

*Wishes Hyde and the rest of L'Arc en Ciel could play in the UK...*

On another note, how come Tofu Records haven't considered setting up a UK division...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

But yeah, he's totally unknown.

In the US, this is true. The only people who know who he is are anime fans and J-rock fans, and the majority of them probably wouldn't know unless you told them he was the lead singer of L'arc.

In Japan, he's huge. Here? No.

SakechanBD wrote:

Yeah, watch out for obnoxious girls. If you've ever been to a concert targeted towards younger girls (Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, etc), I assume it'll be roughly the same atmosphere, what with throngs of rude girls shoving their way to the front, people throwing soda at your head, etc. I mean, Hyde won't be nearly as packed as FOB/MCR/etc, but fangirls can be deadly in numbers, so watch out.

Now excuse me while I retreat back to my dark corner so I can finish this large bag of Cheetos and pray for Jeb Bush to enter the 2008 election. God, I really wish I could get a date, but I'm totally baka and might have to bathe, and that would really cut into my Naruto time, ne??? Sad

Are you suggesting that giant groups of teenage girls aren't annoying and pushy at concerts?

I stopped going to all-ages shows last year, but previously all of the all-ages shows I'd been to had indeed had a whole lot of annoying teenage girls making life generally miserable for anyone at the front of the theater. The people drinking weren't the issue at all.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
sionEmber wrote:
Another great J-punk band is Hi-Standard.

Making the Road is probably their best album out there. I'd like to see if Dragon Ash or Zeebra can make stateside though.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

SakechanBD wrote:

Are you suggesting that giant groups of teenage girls aren't annoying and pushy at concerts?

Wha? No, I said that they were... The last part was my response to lazuline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3