• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Zetsuboushita!
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
So... he'll still continue to work on shorter projects. Miyazaki will still be involved with the movies in one way or another. Besides, he's said something like this before so maybe he'll change his mind later on.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Take a vacation Miyazaki, it's cool! Very Happy
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Judging by the comments in this thread, Mr. Miyazaki seems to handle retirement like Brett Favre. We'll just have to wait and see.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
Apparently tv in Japan used the same protocol they use to announce tsunami and earthquakes to announce this, if he Favres it there's gonna be issues! Smile

Personally, I don't think he's had a great film since Kiki's Delivery Service, but mileage does vary.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
"Shades of Ric Flair", one might say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ly000001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
As the quote NHK article said, he's retiring "from the production of feature-length films", so this doesn't preclude him from making shorts, commercials, music videos, etc. I hope this allows him to mentor new talent at Studio Ghibli, since for a long time they've been resting on the backs of him and Takahata and not nurturing anybody to replace them once they're gone (while "Up on Poppy Hill" has been received better than "Tales of Earthsea", some people have wondered if he had been more hands-on behind the scenes than with his son's previous film).
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
I like the quasi-anointing of Anno as partial heir to his legacy.
It seems surprisingly honest of Hayao. (The sons kill their fathers, after all.)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Heh, yeah, my reaction was "Not this again."

Of course if you recall Miyazaki said before that the Wind Rises will not be his last film. At the time I joked that whenever he says something will be his last film it never is so this time when he said it won't be his last it will be.

In all honestly I don't really care all that much about Miyazaki. He's made some good films, no doubt, but if he stopped making movies it's hardly the end of the world. There's plenty of other good directors making great stuff out there.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
rokusaburo wrote:
The headline should say "retiring AGAIN..."

Fans shouldn't be too sad, as he will probably come back like he did before!

The Brett Favre of animation.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
And he deserves it. He's been involved in animation since 1963 (when he started work at Toei Animation)--in effect, a career that spanned 50 years.

Don't be surprised that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awards him a special Oscar or the Irving Thalberg Award for the many great anime films he personally directed and produced over the years.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

In all honestly I don't really care all that much about Miyazaki. He's made some good films, no doubt, but if he stopped making movies it's hardly the end of the world. There's plenty of other good directors making great stuff out there.

There is noone making the kind of films Miyazaki and thus Ghibli does, so no, theres no replacing him, also Ghibli and particularly Miyazaki has remained true to the beauty of full hand drawn animation (i.e each and all frames are fully hand drawn) despitr the pain and contrary to the easiness but kinf of soulless mass generated and generic (most of the tim at least) digital animation, well ok, for a time he mastered perfect fusion between hand drawn and digital, but has returned to totally hand drawn animation with and since Ponyo.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
If Miyazaki is really retiring from making movies, are not these good news in way? I am not very familiar with his latest films, but I have heard they were not very good. I believe Zac and Justin also talked in an ANN Cast about the low quality of Miyazaki's last few films.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Although I halfway want him to return one last time to make a graphic, unflinching and brutal film about the Rape of Nanking. That would make the irritation he's inspired in the authoritarians and revisionists thus far look like a tiff at the church ice cream social.

He really needs to do this. He's probably the only man in the country with enough cachet to actually sway public opinion on the subject.

God knows, if Anno takes over it will never happen. Isn't he considered some sort of right-wing extremist in Japan? (Maybe not Yukio Mishima level crazy, but still pretty out there)
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
That's what he said after Mononoke. And Spirited Away. And Howl. And Ponyo.

Not buying this. He'll be back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7