• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Storms Amazon.JP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So where do you go to vote?

You have to have it in your "My Anime" list under Seen Some or Seen all (Or will not finish, actually). Then there is an option to 'rate' the anime selected in the encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
So where do you go to vote?

You have to have it in your "My Anime" list under Seen Some or Seen all (Or will not finish, actually). Then there is an option to 'rate' the anime selected in the encyclopedia.

Thank you!
UltimaLuminaire

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too confident about a state side release, though. As it stands, even though it's garnered an incredible cult following, it's still fairly niche, even in the community. There's also no garantee of the novel doing as well here as Vampire Hunter D has. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see.

Haruhiism, booiiiiiiii!
Serge

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Serge wrote:
And it's just a matter of a few days, until the anime reaches #1 on the ANN Top 50 anime list.

Probably based on weighted average though, but it still has some ways to go to reach #1 based on a bayesian estimate.

The ridiculous thing about that whole situation is that it was HIGHLY ranked (#2 and #7 respectively about 2 weeks ago, IIRC) on both list after only the SECOND episode had aired. That's F-ing unbelievable. I mean, granted the show is good, but ranking it so highly after two episodes is kind of insane.

Yep, second Episode out and it was in the top ten, damn fine, it WILL go to #1 on ANN top anime.

Just hate it when you get fools who do "Worst Ever" to lower the ratings, it sucks...What is the f@#king Point.
domino

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Impressive. I didn't think the anime was all that great. Maybe this means I need to look harder?
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I think we should summon Haruhi here! The anime gets weirder and weirder everyday, and I'm pretty sure she'll be investigating as to why this novel/anime has such tremendous impact Laughing she likes this mysterious stuff as we all know.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
I think we should summon Haruhi here! The anime gets weirder and weirder everyday, and I'm pretty sure she'll be investigating as to why this novel/anime has such tremendous impact Laughing she likes this mysterious stuff as we all know.

Nah, she'll just say it's not weird enough for her.

And in general, I think it really is jumping the gun to give the anime a rating before it's over. For all you know, they might pull a Hellsing with the ending, THEN what kind of ranking will it deserve? Razz
ravager

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
As for me, I'm going to wait for more episodes to see if it's that real good. (But the first episodes are really interesting Anime smile).
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
While I do love the show so far, I think it's one of the most overrated/hyped ones I've seen in a while. I thought it was just animenfo...but apparently I was wrong. Rolling Eyes I don't mean to sound rude or anything,but I have seen a countless amount of anime released between this year and the last that had way better starting episodes,and haven't received even half the hype The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has. I don't know if the novels have anything to do with it, but I kind of feel disappointed that so many good anime were overlooked,while Haruhi seems to already be the latest rage...
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand why it appeals so much, but maybe I ought to read Zac's preview over again. For some reason, the plot description doesn't really grab me in. Maybe I should just see it if it ever comes my way. '_'
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

And in general, I think it really is jumping the gun to give the anime a rating before it's over. For all you know, they might pull a Hellsing with the ending, THEN what kind of ranking will it deserve? Razz

It's a good thing you are able to change your ratings of series. I like to rate things after I've seen a few episodes and then re-rate it after I've seen the entire series.
UltimaLuminaire

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
I still don't understand why it appeals so much, but maybe I ought to read Zac's preview over again. For some reason, the plot description doesn't really grab me in. Maybe I should just see it if it ever comes my way. '_'

Honestly, there won't be a plot description that will do this series justice anytime soon. It's like trying to describe the plot of FLCL. It's really simple when you write it down and read it, but when all is said and done there's much more there than you can really put into words (as with many other series).

As for its appeal, I've already mentioned FLCL, so if you have any knowledge of that anime then you can certainly get an idea of how unusual it might be. It's simply not the norm (both in its sharp presentation and unusual execution), and, to a jaded anime fan, that's like a gift from heaven. Also, thanks to the fact that its based on the light novel series of the same name, it has a lot of added depth under its surface, giving people who love mysteries a chance to really sink their teeth into all the available information (thus the popularity of the novels).
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Sabakyuu wrote:
While I do love the show so far, I think it's one of the most overrated/hyped ones I've seen in a while. I thought it was just animenfo...but apparently I was wrong. Rolling Eyes I don't mean to sound rude or anything,but I have seen a countless amount of anime released between this year and the last that had way better starting episodes,and haven't received even half the hype The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has. I don't know if the novels have anything to do with it, but I kind of feel disappointed that so many good anime were overlooked,while Haruhi seems to already be the latest rage...

Haruhi should NOT be judged by its first episode. All throughout it you're thinking "WTF man!" until the end and then you're thinking "now that's new."

The next 4 eps (eps 1-5 have been released on fansub so far) just grind you in deeper and make you laugh harder at the hilarity of it. Sure you have some of your stereotypical character archetypes....but then the plot and story just blows it all out of the water such that your characters may seem to be over-used archetypes....until you actually pay attention and see how exaggerated and twisted the anime makes them. It's absolutely WONDERFUL.

This is the first series I've seen in a while where I honestly CANNOT tell you what's going to happen next. Even with some of the really good anime I can make reasonable guesses, but this one really leaves me scratching my head, and it's not because any sort of mediocrity prevents me from being able to tell what's going to be pulled next, it's that it's uniqueness in telling the story way out of order in chronology, and keeping it fairly linear in character development is fairly unique, and it's working well.

Plus, with the Asahina, Nagato, Kyon, Haruhi, and Koichi, how can you resist watching? All have me laughing or chuckling throughout the entire episode, each episode. And Haruhi herself is one of THE most unique characters I've ever seen.

I rate this series as absolutely BRILLIANT.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
You know, you really should decide whether to translate fungai (憤慨) as "resentment" or "indignation". You can't have it both ways.

I vote for the latter, by the way -- for various reasons.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
This may sound odd, but MSH really grabbed my attention with its opening and, even moreso, with its closing. The animation is excellent and that song gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. I've sat there and just watched the closer four or five times in a row because it's so much fun. Kind of like the closing for the current season of Bleach...oy, it's so cute!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3