• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ouran High School Host Club Gets Live-Action Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see this show as I firmly believe the antics of the host club, brought into the real world, would work great. Much of the series delivered us an emotional story, not one filled with impossible stunts live-action couldn't deliver easily.

Unfortunately, and this is the only negative I can think of, the show will never come here, meaning one would have to be fluent in Japanese in order to enjoy the full nuance the language, and its subject to plays on words, would deliver.

I'm quite envious of those in Japan because I really love this series. It's a well deserved A+, for those who've not seen it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
EDIT: removed duplicate post because ANN had a hiccup.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Thu May 19, 2011 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Thu May 19, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Thu May 19, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
hmm live action version & person doing tamaki is this guy from kamen rider kabuto series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRRSSturb4 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqrShTpQg5M

yea compare the 2 minus whole "you know what" in kabuto series seem similar.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Well. I woke up, hopped online, and frankly, I'm so tired I don't know what to say here.

I'm not one to judge beforehand, but...this is gonna suck, isn't it?
Quark

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Unfortunately, and this is the only negative I can think of, the show will never come here, meaning one would have to be fluent in Japanese in order to enjoy the full nuance the language, and its subject to plays on words, would deliver.

I wouldn't worry about that. There are lots of fansub groups for J-drama. I'd be absolutely shocked if no one wanted to sub Ouran.

I've gotta say, all the nay-sayers in here are starting to kill my buzz for this show. Ouran seemed absolutely perfect for a live-action drama. If they treat it anything like the HanaDan drama, they're going to have a lot of fun with the clothing and sets. Ah hell, my buzz isn't killed - I'm still going to watch this one as soon as it comes out.
For all the people saying how cheesy live-action Japanese drama is - let's not forget that most anime is pretty darn cheesy too. And that includes Ouran.
Besides, the Japanese do cheese in such a great way. It's part of the reason why J-drama are so much fun.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit hesitant, I have to admit, but given that they were able to adapt Nodame Cantabile into an excellent live action and keep it's more extreme, manga-styled moments intact, it could work. It definitely doesn't lend itself as easily to live action as some other shows butx it has the potential to be great.

I'll definitely be checking it out when it starts airing.
Zags

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Never really watched J-dramas before, but my love for Ouran might just be enough for me to check this out...
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
This... could just turn into something awesome...we'll just to wait and see I guess Very Happy

But what I really really REALLY want to know right now is who the rest of the cast is!

Kyouya? Hikaru and Kaoru? Hunny-senpai and Mori-senpai?

Does anyone know of any good twin japanese actors?
fortykoubuns

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Dawwww....I'd rather have a second season of the anime D:
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
For me, the success of this drama will depend on how successfully sarcastic Haruhi's actress can be. Though, I'm not really part of the target audience for this, so I'm sure the producers will worry about which hawt guy from which hawt Johnny's boy band thing will play which character, regardless of how well they can actually portray said character.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
I can't wait! I hope this turns out good. I really hope so. Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yes yes yes!

minakichan wrote:
FINALLY!!!

For those not familiar with them, J-dramas of shoujo manga are often pretty fantastic (Hana Kimi being a sad but prominent exception, but consider how hugely popular stuff like HanaDan and Nodame are!). Sometimes they play up the humor more to go for a wider audience, but in those cases they sometimes end up even funnier than the original, so this would be gold for Ouran.

What the heck are you talking about? Hana Kimi was a fantastic, hilarious jdrama, and the humor they had in it would be perfect for an Ouran jdrama. In fact, I find the majority of jdrama to be boring and overdramatic, but Hana Kimi had a perfect balance of the drama and comedy to for once not make me loose interest before the end of the season as I tend to do with other jdrama.

I couldn't care less about how Haruhi's actress plays this, what's going to matter is the male cast. If they're not overblown stereotypes and know it, this drama will fail as an adaption.

Megiddo wrote:
I'm sure the producers will worry about which hawt guy from which hawt Johnny's boy band thing will play which character, regardless of how well they can actually portray said character.

Oh god I hope not. That one guy RUINED Yamato Nadeshiko for me. CANNOT ACT.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu May 19, 2011 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
aznmuse91

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Hey, hey. On the bright side, the U.S. isn't doing it. Look at their dramas, now that's terrible acting. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5