• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Rides Jetstream to Early Arrival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I had a couple instances of lag myself and it really is a shame that it doesn't work with Firefox yet too but I imagine it's in progress.

I never saw Prince of Tennis before so I tried watching that. Now I suppose this is not really the right place to say but, I really think there's a point when animes cross the line into just being absurd. The premise is Tennis... not even parody-esk like Yakitate Japan which I do like when it comes to normally unappealing anime material but I mean come on, when they actually had an explosion sound effect basically for his most powerful serve in the episode and is just looked like a ball hitting the ground... I laughed, loudly. Was that actually in the sub? I really think sometimes they're just pushing it. I mean, at least the Yugioh dub had the cards and attempted mythology which still sucked, but they at least tried to give it some sort of hook.

Rank of the day over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, good job. I knew Cartoon Network had to screw something up. I'd much rather use Bittorrent for Hikaru no Go or Prince of Tennis, or even Youtube. I don't need to degrade myself by using Internet Exploiter.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Haha, oh come on, they'll probably eventually support Firefox and it's not the biggest deal in the world. Besides, aside from the fact that it's the dub you're probably not going to fine the first episodes on YouTube, well, all things considered Toonami is still doing an excellent job at trying to present anime in a way to get people's attention that don't already know so much about it. On the other hand though, the fact that it is so similar to Youtube and making people think of bittorrent is probably not necessarily a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
"No Mac support". @#$% 'em. I walked out of the Jetstream panel as soon as I heard this. It's short-sighted and unnecessary. There are perfectly good cross-platform video formats they could have used. If ABC's site works on a Mac, so can Toonami's.

Oh, and WMV is compatible with the Mac, but not the DRM'd version. Microsoft refuses to release a Mac player for protected WMV, likely because they want they want to force people to use Windows to watch it.

(God, I hate Microsoft.)

------RM
Steve007101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
... *sigh* Well the fact just is that it just got started, and you're probably not going to see most of the people going there at first to be Mac users statistically speaking, no offense. And hey, we all hate Microsoft, so you're in good company.

And to continue my rant I suppose... I just finished watching Hiraku no Go, also never seeing it before and with a nearly similar reaction. I suppose there's a reason they put them on here first... I'd seriously question their potential. Then again... Yugioh does well afterall.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Some users claim to have gotten jetstream to work with the IE tab extension for FF. FF users need to stop whining about their lack of ability to search the web and come up with work arounds. Also note that you can actually LOAD the site by going to http://www.toonamijetstream.com/app/index.html with most browsers that have flash8/9 (8 is a security risk) installed.
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Also note that you can actually LOAD the site by going to http://www.toonamijetstream.com/app/index.html with most browsers that have flash8/9 (8 is a security risk) installed.

Well what do you know, it works. Which begs the question, why would they say that firefox isn't supported and refuse to let you open it through the main page?
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
x_Shinta_x wrote:
Wow, good job. I knew Cartoon Network had to screw something up. I'd much rather use Bittorrent for Hikaru no Go or Prince of Tennis, or even Youtube. I don't need to degrade myself by using Internet Exploiter.

Bittorrent means directly downloading the episode, which is the last thing CN and Viz want. Streaming the episodes for a limited time is what they're going for, and Youtube is such a mess that they have to go with their own website.

And I hate Internet Explorer just as much as you do, but that didn't stop me from using IE to watch frickin' free anime! Works perfectly on my computer...oh, and just to make sure, CN pointed out that this service is targeted towards broadband users.

Quote:
Well what do you know, it works. Which begs the question, why would they say that firefox isn't supported and refuse to let you open it through the main page?

They're probably still making sure it works properly, hence the "early" opening. IE owns the largest share of the browser market, so they make sure IE users can see Jetstream first. Afterwards they can focus on optimizing it for Firefox and, if they feel like it, Mac users.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know how many IE haters are using IE7, but it's actually pretty sweet. Not quite as good as Firefox, but far superior to any previous IE. Tabs, RSS, searchbar, security, & it's pretty looking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Well it's good fans get what they want, and also it's free! Unfortunately I don't really like any of the shows they have on except for Hikaru No Go and I'm already gonna get the dvd for that. Oh well atleast Naruto and all those other shows are available now to all the fans.
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching all of the shows and while i am extremely impressed with the image quality something does strike me as odd. Hikaru no go has it's original japanese opening theme included but the rest dont. I can understand naruto being like that but why go through the trouble of making a new opening for PoT or Mar when the original is available and superior (though the PoT piece is rather catchy). I also question why they felt the need to change the background music in Mar...

Don't misunderstand, I will be tuning in every week for my fix and I am extremely happy about what CN has done here. As long as we get uncut dvds then none of the above complaint's matter anyway.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
For some reason, every time I try to watch anything IE crashes on me.

Its really lame. I've done various things to try and fix it, including upgrading both IE and Windows Media Player up to 7 and 11, respectively. When neither worked I rolled back to my working non-beta versions.

This doesn't work for me, and I hope im not the only one.

I really wanted to watch Prince of Tennis, so I can see how the dub is, thats probably not gonna happen now, though.
Hawaiian _Gurl808

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote
I really dont know why you guys complane its working fine for me i have IE 8 and Flash Player 9 and i have windows , well anyway i have watch all of them am very intersted in Hikaru no Go because i have the man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
The fanboyism is worse than digg. Anyways, Hikaru no Go is a pretty good show, hope this makes it to Toonami.

Last edited by RezSav on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
I just finished watching all of the shows and while i am extremely impressed with the image quality something does strike me as odd. Hikaru no go has it's original japanese opening theme included but the rest don't. I can understand naruto being like that but why go through the trouble of making a new opening for PoT or Mar when the original is available and superior (though the PoT piece is rather catchy). I also question why they felt the need to change the background music in Mar...
This is because they are actively pitching/have pitched Mar and PoT to TV while there are no plans for HnG to go on TV. Therefore, Mar and PoT are the TV edits while HnG is the DVD copy. (Also, Mar is going to be targeted at a much younger crowd so it gets the Gash Bell treatment (original music removed) while PoT is being targeted like Naruto (intact)).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6