• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your OWN manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've had many crazy ideas, but the first idea I had turned out to be a fanfic.

I was thinking of taking the 4 main Captain Tsubasa characrters, but later I regretted it n_nU.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RoryG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
i've never gone through with a manga. but i've drawn manga like things for a friends website and draw stuff for my bro's little halo fan fics. but i'm working on an idea.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I have found that there a lot of people like myself who while good at writing are absolutely awful at drawing anything beyond stick figures. Allthough there is always the possibility of a successful author like say Neil Gailman finding talented artists to illustarte his works I was wondering if there was some sort of talent exchange or pair-up website to help people out of this conundrum. (And if there isn't how well do you think it could work)

Amateurs or not, I think it would be nice if there was a place were artists and writers could meet and help each other realize their projects.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Dammit. Kids these days. It's called a comic. Unless you want to move to Japan and publish in the Japanese market, it's called a *&$#ing comic. Or comic book or graphic novel or web comic. Well, those are formats. Quit stealing words from other countries.

The only major publisher in America that publishes under that title is Tokyopop. Though I think I've seen a few smaller publishers stealing that now buzzword. They are not the only publishers out there. Don't limit yourself.

Now I repect you're influenced by manga. I am too. I know I read a lot and am influenced by them too. Yet I don't dare have the gaul or lack of nationality to call my work here in America by a forign name. Many professional American comic book artists and writers are influenced by Japanese artists too. I only can think of one I would even call a manga artist. That would be Paul Pope who got stuff printed by a Japanese publisher in Tokyo and lived there for a few years. Feel free to do that if you want.

Manga is a name for comics from Japan. You may debate it is a format. Though even there I point out what manga Tokyopop sells in Japan ins't quite 'manga' format, it's collected manga that was I think almost all first published in installments every week or so in an anthology. The Japanese call them 'takubon' if you want to use Japanese terms so much. (I even have some orginal Japanese ones for series I couldn't wait for the English publisher on. The ones I saw were actually nicer with jackets and slightly cheaper, but we do have to pay for translation. Though I think our paper is slightly better.)

Seriously, go to a Japanese book store and ask for manga. They have more formats than what many consider 'manga'.

Also, manga is NOT an art style. Learn to draw. Find a style or multiple styles you like. You can find artists you like from whatever country you like. I know some manga artists I like seem to almost have styles influenced by European artists. The example I always give is Tsutomi Neihei's Moebius influence.

What Tokyopop's American books, those are best described as graphic novels. I got a few of those too.

The thing is, you shouldn't even think of making a manga first. Get that word out of your head. Maybe you shouldn't even think of making a 'comic book' first. Think of a story and characters first and see if you have a good thing.

Don't think, "I want to make a manga." The most imporant thing for a writer or artist is to think "I want to tell a story."

Get words like manga or even comic out of your head when creating one. Those are formats, which you should eventually consdier. What should be in your head to start with is, "Do I have good characters and a good story?" Then start writing and drawing.

Please don't simpifly manga to one art style or a book format. Also, just don't limit yourself! Don't limit your own story and artwork and what you want to publish.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
RoryG wrote:
i've never gone through with a manga. but i've drawn manga like things for a friends website and draw stuff for my bro's little halo fan fics. but i'm working on an idea.

As a friend said when I showed him his, "Manga like things. For Halo. Isn't that an oxymoron or something?"

Actually it's not as manga artist Tsutomu Niehi (Blame!) is doing a story for Marvel's Halo comic.

Still, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't mean to pick on you, but I want to help clarify things. Manga is not a 200 page graphic novel. Nor is it an art style.

I'm just trying to be practical and trying to keep a common language creators can communicate with. It already exists and calling everything from format to art style 'manga' really hurts it.

Now if you mean a graphic novel. That is quite an undertaking. Again, you need a story that long too. Perhaps a shorter standard 22 page comic book is a better idea. Again, all depends on your story. The story always comes first.

Guess I should comment about my ideas. Only fair. Right now I've mainly written out a number of web comics. The artist friend I know who would draw it has been busy. Another artist friend has his own webcomic with its own theme.

I also have some longer series ideas. Whether they'd be a standard 22 page comic book format in a mini series or a fuller graphic novel, I don't know. Perhaps even a standard 22 page comic published online. Right now I'm just drafting ideas.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:18 am Reply with quote
Well, my manga is in its 20th chapter, so I'm kind of celebrating, and hey, this can be a part of it:

Title Shukudai (Japanese word for Homework)

Story
The young boy Keitaro Chihiro studies to become a student of Tokyo University, a university with high demands, to come on you have to make the "Högskoleprov" (in english: "The University Exam", or something like that). It is not a normal exam, because this exams is just pure fighting. He have to fight "MVG-frågor" ("A-grade questions") and "Universitetsfrågor" ("University questions") and they all comes in a monster form.

At the beginning of the series, Keitaro doesn't even have IG-kraft ("F-grade power") and he's a total idiot. His life isn't studying, even though his dream is Tokyo University, his life is Pokémon, and the new game Pokémon Smoke (where all pokémons smokes, real bad, especially Brock and Pikachu).

But one day, the "Studievägledare" (can't translate, but a dude who helps him study) Kalle (a very normal swedish name) comes to help him. He opens the world of Monster Questions for his eyes, and he wants Keitaro to study (train) hard. Unfortunately, he has no talent at all. So Kalle kicks his ass real bad, and Keitaro passes out. The following day, his father, Pappa (swedish word for father), tries to wake him up with a big axe, called the Meat Axe. But just when the axe is about to hit Keitaro in his forehead, he wakes up, and his hidden talent shows - he kind of explodes and his father gets blown away. He does now have the "G-kraft" (the "E-grade power").

And now, Keitaro's training towards the top, together with Kalle and Pappa, has started. But, the evil teacher Göran (yet another normal swedish name) is in his way, and every day he inflicts injuries and damage to Keitaro, with some kind of über-weapons. One day, at the same time as an exam, with E-grade questions only, he awakens. I actually draw him like this: http://devilmaycry-727.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/devil_may_cry_3_rigell_008.jpg.w560h420.jpg, but with his ugly face instead of the cool one. And instead of the thingy under his shoes, there's a rabbit, an E-grade question monster that is (7+5-3=? ^^). His travelling has now truly begun.

Characters
Has already been introduced in the storyline.

So, what do you think of my parody on Naruto, Final Fantasy and Love Hina? Smile
bluelioness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Okay well I'm rather new to this site ( having been introduced to it by a friend because of my love for manga) but since I registered I happened to stumble on this forum on accident and thought it would be good to post after reading some of the posts. I do have many ideas for different storylines (I don't want to say "manga" for those who seem to be offended by this term being used for a format). These ideas have been inspired by friends and one idea I want to mainly share with everybody here was something I call "Men In My Closet". It's something I came up with while discussing a female friend of mine, who the main character will be based on. I'm not posting this in hopes to find an artist, because I already have character sketches and backgrounds drawn out. This post is simply to receive more feedback for this idea (and names for characters since I've never been good at creating names Confused ).

-------------------------------------------------------------

The idea

This story is based on a young woman who easily gets bored with realtionships, and lives with a family curse, that when a man she dates refuses to lose interest after she already has he ends up hanging in her closet (literally). This curse is an ever occuring problem throughout her life until she meets a man who somehow keeps her interest. This man is with her until she invites him over and he discovers what is inside her closet. After that he continues to be chased by her as he avoids her at all costs in fear of being yet another man in her closet.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Okay maybe not the most interesting idea but it's comical and there is alot that can be done with it (come on imagine the sketches you would come up with for the closet, lol). Anyways... Please give me any and all feed back. Be honest and don't hold back I'm not going to be mad about it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I was inspired to draw manga ever since reading One Piece(Love that series). Anyways the manga I'm working on is called:

Dragon Kids (In Japanese "Ryu no Chibi")

Genre
Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Shounen, Slice of Life,School Life (Somewhat ^^)

Synposis (1st Part)
Kenta and Sasuke are two brothers growing up in Tokyo. Kenta, the older brother is eight years old. His younger brother Sasuke, is seven years old. One day on their way home from school the brothers take a detour home. There they come across an old shrine said to be the link to another world known as "Dragon World". However this world is more than it seems and the brothers seem to have a mysterious connection to this other world. As the story progresses, Kenta's and Sasuke's connection to Dragonworld becomes more clear.

Synposis (2nd Part) Be Warned:Contains spoilers
spoiler[After leaving DragonWorld, Kenta and Sasuke's lives may finally be returning to normal. However, one day, just before the brothers leave school, a mysterious stranger confronts them. He introduces himself as Yuki Toyota and then challenges Kenta to a fight. Toyota (as he's called in my series) states that like Kenta, he has a few powers of his own (This is after the brothers discover they're actually half-dragons). He quickly defeats the young half-dragon and issues a challenge to Sasuke and his friends: "Meet me near the Tokyo Docks at 12:00. If you don't come, Kenta WILL die." Anyways Sasuke surprisingly defeats Toyota (When his big brother couldn't I might add) and they learn who the real mastermind behind all this was: Keiko (A girl they met in DragonWorld and no she's a human) and her younger brother Kenny (You'll find out later why I named him this ^^). She then informs the brothers of a plan to annialiate all humans (Not destroy the world though). Together with Toyota, Mitsubeishi (A samurai they met in DragonWorld as well), Ichiro(the leader of his late big brother's gang but that's for later) and Kyota, a mysterious half-dragon who claims to be the older brother of Kenta and Sasuke (more on that too) are the only ones who can stop this mysterious evil.].

Characters
Kenta Honda- One of the main characters (The other being his little brother). Although very hotheaded he is very caring to both his friends and his younger brother. Kenta originally hated his brother because their parents left Kenta to take care of Sasuke when he was four (Sasuke was three). However, overtime Kenta started to find it in his heart to love the little brother who was causing him so much grief. Age:Eight
(Author's Note:Kenta and Sasuke's parents show up later in the series)

Sasuke Honda- Kenta's younger brother and the voice of reason behind the two. Sasuke, being the youngest of the Honda Brothers is also considered to be the cutest.Sasuke is also an otaku(Just like his creator^^). Sasuke will do anything to protect his friends(As shown later in Ryu no Chibi). Sasuke has a large scar going down his back from when he and Kenta tried to sneak into a carnival(Sasuke got caught under a fence) During chapter 3 (Which consists mainly of Kenta's flashbacks) it's revealed about Sasuke's scar and why it's so important to Kenta (Kenta says it reminds him about what being an older brother is all about and to always be there for Sasuke)Age:Seven (Author's Note:Sasuke actually is cute from what my friends and family say about him. Also the most popular character so far in Dragon Kids, he's also my favorite).

Kyota- A mysterious half-dragon whom the brothers meet during their second trip to Dragonworld. What's even stranger about Kyota is that he claims to be both Kenta and Sasuke's older brother. Is also searching for a mysterious man. Age:17 (Body) 400 (Spirit)

Shikimaru- The main antangonist of Ryu no Chibi (Dragon Kids). She seeks to destroy the human race and it all traces back to something that happened 400 years ago. Age: 13(Appears as 17 at times)(Body) 400 (Spirit).

Hideaki- This half-dragon works as a double-agent for Shikimaru(His big sister) and helps Kenta and Sasuke as well as Kyota at times. Age: 12 (Body) 400 (Spirit)

Side Characters
Sakura- Has known the brothers since they were infants. Is also like the big sister of the brothers. Age:Eight

Akira- Kenta's best friend. Also hangs out with Sasuke and Jamie.Has a big brother who mysteriously left one day when Akira was three. His brother appears later in the series. Age: Eight

Jamie Quincy- A boy from America. Very athletic but despises his brother for an unknown reason (as of right now). Kind of a parody of Sasuke from Naruto (Except not emo). Age: Seven

Archer Quincy- Jamie's big brother. Is also very powerful. Has even beaten Shikimaru. Sort of a parody of Itachi. Age: Seventeen.

Genta-Classmate of Sasuke's. Doesn't show up until much later in the series. spoiler[ He doesn't show up until Jamie betrays Kenta and the gang and joins up with Shikimaru (To get the power he needs to defeat Archer)] Age:Nine (Second half of Dragon Kids)

I would post trivia but I feel it might be giving too much away. There are also too many characters for me to list so I just listed the most important characters in the series.

I'd also like to add that there are references of other animes like Desert Punk and One Piece in my series. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni is even mentioned too (Another series I FREAKIN' LOVE!!) There's also a Dragonball Z parody where during one of Sasuke's fights he fights just like Goku (Even turning Super Saiyan).

Please tell me what you think of Dragon Kids. I'm also working on another series but I haven't drawn one part of it yet (Just the character designs).

Last edited by Shonen Bat on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:37 pm; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoryG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
RoryG wrote:

As a friend said when I showed him his, "Manga like things. For Halo. Isn't that an oxymoron or something?"

Actually it's not as manga artist Tsutomu Niehi (Blame!) is doing a story for Marvel's Halo comic.

Still, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't mean to pick on you, but I want to help clarify things. Manga is not a 200 page graphic novel. Nor is it an art style..

by manga I think people mean a comic with a japanese style of cartooning. i'm sure most people here wouldn't consider something writen by an american and drawn by someone who draws that style an actual manga. mostly for the fact that most anime fans are kinda tightwadish. though most won't admit it they think comics from japan are better partly just because they arent from here.

the halo graphic novel had nothing to do with what i said.(but it was enjoyable to read and i highly recomend it) i was talking about something my brother wanted me to draw some thing for. i never said anything about them being manga like.

I would like to thank you for misquoting me.

the manga like things were something i drew for someone else. Exclamation
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
I have found that there a lot of people like myself who while good at writing are absolutely awful at drawing anything beyond stick figures.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm quite talented at writing fiction and short stories for my English and literature classes, but when it comes to drawing, I suck big time. I have the occasional good doodle, which I try to recreate, but end up failing miserably. I tried drawing my own Naruto ninjas but they sucked big time, also. I find that I create my best drawing when I'm not trying at all to make a good one. If I only had some more talent at drawing, I'd make my own manga. Rolling Eyes
SoraSin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, what do you think of my parody on Naruto, Final Fantasy and Love Hina? Smile

Sounds cool and funny.How many pages have you completed?
Doug666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
im working on a story, but i cant find anyone who can draw out the art for my story...
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
SoraSin wrote:
Quote:

About 40 pages has been all cleared, and much more is sketched.

How about your manga?
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
SoraSin wrote:
Quote:

About 40 pages has been all cleared, and much more is sketched.

How about your manga?

I really love those manga...specially reading the novels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
OnePieceFANatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
I have wanted to make my own manga for quite a while, but alas, I cannot draw (I plan to take lessons if I ever get the time though!).

Anyway, I know it wouldn't actually BE a manga, because I'm not Japanese, but I would like to make the art style similar to the Japanese ones. And I'd like to call it a manga *sniff*...

Anywho, I'm only interested in making manga/comics for kids. I only have a very general idea of what it'll be like, and I haven't thought up of a title or genre for it.

All I know is that it'll be about this little kid who lives in a really war torn world. So he's escaping from the war at the beginning of the story, gets lost in a forest like place, and finds a haunted mansion that only appears for certain people.

Well, he meets all sorts of odd creatures in the mansion, zombies, ghouls, you know, all those halloween characters, and some more original ones that I have to make up. They turn out not to be bad guys at all, and are actually quite welcoming, and happy to find a new friend. So the story goes on about this kid's life with the creepies, and I guess it develops into a miniature adventure of sorts, as the mansion is very very vast, and needs to be explored.

I plan to not have any true villians in this story either, and if ever there's a bad guy, he'd only be a misunderstood person who has some problems that will eventually be resolved. The most serious it'll ever get (provided I make it) is probably at the beginning, where he's escaping all these futuristic soldiers and stuff. But even then, I wouldn't make it all that grave.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22