• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - FIFA Drift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WEKS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Nince that Option was included, next time Best Motoring maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, just one keeper this time around, and an anime that I didn't care much for as well. Strange about Tactics, while I've heard of it I've yet to see that show sold anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Killer 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
Having watched the entirety of Speed Grapher during it's japanese run I was very eager to see how the dub would be handled. I came away from v1 pleased with how the voices came out but annoyed with the change in opening music. The show's feel seemed completely different to me with the new opening.

I thought that it might be one of those shows that's just not as good the second time through, but that didn't seem likely. So I dug out my R2 of v1 and compared. In the R2 the show seemed like it had much more energy, while the R1 seemed more somber and depressing. Now I know why they call the opening theme the mood setter.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.Anyway among the current crop of series released so far, i recommend SG for it's unique premise,bizarre sequences and lack of boredom. (that is if you can tolerate the "sex and violence".

Fair review,hmm salmon roe..sounds yummy.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm left scratching my head as to how Takahashi Anthology is supposed to taste like Tactics. Sure, there's at least one episode about a ghost that interacts with people, but as I recall most of the episodes of RTA were much more down-to-earth. There was the episode where the wife had to hide her husband's client's pet in their no-pets apartment, the one where the paranoid little girl thought her parents were going to commit suicide, the one where the longtime corporate manager had to cope with losing his job....

GREAT show, but I wouldn't by any means call it "a supernatural show", and I don't see any strong similarities between it and Tactics AND Requiem from the Darkness.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
I'm left scratching my head as to how Takahashi Anthology is supposed to taste like Tactics.

I don't think it's supposed to. It's merely a suggestion for similar titles. Although Elemental somethingorother probably does taste like Scryed. Mmmmmm. Alter.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Bamboo, what's your take on Stephen Foster asking the English VAs to use pseudonyms for Kono Minikuku? Do you think that he should have done this, or was it unnecessary?

I don't see what the point was. It's not like you can't tell who's who anyway. I mean, why bother? I don't really feel strongly about it one way or another, but I can't say I would understand his decision unless I actually knew the reason why.

WEKS wrote:

Nince that Option was included, next time Best Motoring maybe?

Sad I don't have Best Motoring. I only reviewed Option because I got a copy of it from Geneon. I'd like to review more stuff like that, as long as it floats my way. Car soccer was incredible.

Case wrote:
I'm left scratching my head as to how Takahashi Anthology is supposed to taste like Tactics.

It doesn't really. I just thought the atmosphere was kind of similar. When I was watching Anthology, with its standalone episodes, I had the same feeling of awe and curiosity over the "resolution" of each story as I did with Tactics. In terms of similarity, Tactics is much closer to Requiem, what with the writer-finding-stories bit, but those are much more different in atmosphere, at least in my eyes.
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
So Deep is difficult?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
So Deep is difficult?

You don't think So Deep is hard on Heavy? Besides the usual culprits like Max300 and stuff, I think So Deep is one of the harder ones just because it exhausts you so much.

Man, if you think it's easy, then I bow to your DDR skills.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
Having watched the entirety of Speed Grapher during it's japanese run I was very eager to see how the dub would be handled. I came away from v1 pleased with how the voices came out but annoyed with the change in opening music. The show's feel seemed completely different to me with the new opening.

yeah i've been wondering myself if people might look at this show different if it had the original intro. it's the perfect music for atmosphere of this show.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Reikijenosaido wrote:

yeah i've been wondering myself if might look at this show different if it had the original intro. it's the perfect music for atmosphere of this show.

There is a reason Gonzo spent years acquiring the rights to the song.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Remember, the FUNimation Speed Grapher DVD's are Edited, Hence what you saw on Fansub, will be different to the Region 1 DVD's.

Are you outa your mind? Why would FUNi release any of their shows in edited form on DVD anymore? Granted, DBZ & YuYu used to, but that was long ago & clearly Speed Grapher is aimed towards a different audience than those. The only thing that's "edited" is that "Girls on Film" can't be used as the opening song. Where would you hear something like this & how could you possibly believe it?

I could just tell you that I already saw the first dubbed ep at ACen this year, & with all the swearing & violence going on I can guarentee that it's not edited. But that doesn't really matter, cause I could tell you without ever seeing the dub that it wouldn't be edited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JoeC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the new dvd release yet. Only the original. Damn! No Girls on Film? I love that song. Too bad they couldn't have replaced the ending song instead. That is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Some nonsense about a horses tail?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:

Are you outa your mind? Why would FUNi release any of their shows in edited form on DVD anymore? Granted, DBZ & YuYu used to, but that was long ago & clearly Speed Grapher is aimed towards a different audience than those. The only thing that's "edited" is that "Girls on Film" can't be used as the opening song. Where would you hear something like this & how could you possibly believe it?

Also keep in mind, edited DBZ and YYH were just TV versions. Funi only releases edited versions if they're like shown on TV, and kids parents want to buy it for them, but have copies for the older fans to purchase.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Remember, the FUNimation Speed Grapher DVD's are Edited, Hence what you saw on Fansub, will be different to the Region 1 DVD's.

Last time I checked, FUNi (and pretty much all other companies outside of 4kids) don't release edited DVDs; and if they do there's usually the uncuts also available.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Serge wrote:

I could just tell you that I already saw the first dubbed ep at ACen this year, & with all the swearing & violence going on I can guarentee that it's not edited. But that doesn't really matter, cause I could tell you without ever seeing the dub that it wouldn't be edited.

it is not edited, in fact it is worst than the fansub version.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3