• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Indeed the episode had a grandiose style reminiscent of movies, my attention was grabbed by the wide open shots that started the episode. From appearance it would seem that Tokyo has become some sort of Chernobyl like disaster, but there are various hints to other things.

I automatically thought that the spoiler[dog looked wolf like], but this might raise questions about what sort of things do these girls actually know. Are there really cars that have showers? What sort of genetic engineering do these girls have? Perhaps they are made balanced out so one having so much fear is a survival thing. And what do the rest of the world think of them? The word puppet was brought up more than a few times, but they seem to have real personalities with likes and dislikes.

I have a feeling I will enjoy this more than Tokyo 8.0 and Devil Survivor in terms of destroyed Tokyo setting.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
So in a future time Tokyo is in ruins and three highschool girls who are descended from Syrium, Cave Story characters or Claymores are sent into the dead zone with next to no equipment to see what a special ops team cannot?

It's a damn good thing I love post-apocalyptic stuff. Actually I've noticed after having watched this ep thrice that it's extremely fun to watch in a group and just heckle the hell out of it.

I saw this ep after a friend of mine my first time and he saw fit to play Fallout 3's geiger counter sound on his phone when Ibara put her hand in the water. Best viewing prank of the season so far.

I was hoping Aoi would be eaten by a gecko the entire time. The sad thing is when she eventually faces mortal peril the show will expect us to be on the edge of our seats, not laughing and eating popcorn.

I'm also sad that the girls aren't robots. I'm kind of bored with the spoiler[generically engineered] angle.

I'll keep watching because I enjoy the setting with a heavy bias but I hope it has something new to bring to the table. I can cope with them being in school uniforms because ANIME but that is a mark against it.

High points from our heckling recording include:

spoiler[*At the start*
"Is the encode bleached or are these girls really pale?"
"Maybe they're robots."
"Or ghosts."
CO voice "We need to find survivors. Send in the Irony Unit which is made up of those who did not survive."]

spoiler[*Ibara threatens to shoot her CO*
"Let me waste this valuable vaccine on people who can't be cured or I swear TO GOD I'll waste it on you."]

spoiler[*the counter starts beeping when they point it at the dog*
"That's it! Everyone's been turned into dogs!"
"Please tell me they didn't bring scissors with them."]

spoiler[*Going to talk to the dog*
"I've played Tokyo Jungle. This isn't going to end well."
"Why did their CO think a city with over 4 million dogs and a rapidly dwindling food supply for them would be safe?"
"They'd be fine if they were robots."]

spoiler[*The other two hiding around a corner while the alarm goes off*
"Shhhh, Aoi. We're trying to be stealthy."
"Beep beep beep beep."]

spoiler[*Wolf appears*
"Cure it's rabies with your super valuable vaccine!"
*Shoots the dog*
"HOLY SHIT!"
*Ibara says she tranquilized it*
"And by tranquilize, I mean shattered it's spine."]

spoiler[*Dogs become feral and turn into wolves*
"Generically engineered girls fail at genetics."
"Please Dear God tell me they didn't kill off the quiet one and leave the annoying one."]

spoiler[*Ending song*
"Oh, hey! They fixed the doll."
"I hope this sombre tone means people die."
"Oh, she threw it away."
"She probably liked it better when it was creepy as hell."
"Ooooh. Major doll upgrade!"
"Looks like the domestic dog from before didn't mutate into a wolf yet."
"I can't tell if the singer is rapping or arguing with her husband."
"I think they mixed up a chunk of the script with the song lyrics and she's trying to cram them in."]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Just seen half of the episode and don't know what to say.
It's weird, that's a fact.
Despite doing what they do, they still seem to enjoy themselves.
Don't know what to think about this anime yet.
Might give it a few more episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
That final realization seemed really clumsy and stupid and as far as I can tell, a really fake cliff hanger. Of course you should assume spoiler[the dogs would be feral and it shouldn't take an animal attack for you to figure that out. It's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it the first time. So when the one goes up to the dog and the others leave I'm thinking how stupid that is... then they explain that the girl has enhanced animal DNA, so I figure, sure, they've figured it out, they know the dog is feral but also know her special senses should let her deal with it.

But no, it didn't cross their minds and apparently they have no reason to believe the girl can defend herself.]

What?

And then the credits show you that, no, you apparently don't have anything to worry about that anyways.

Also...
2. spoiler[How is it that a dead body just lays around for a month when a scavenger animal is just skulking around? Even if a wolf couldn't penetrate the suit, wouldn't it at least try, and knock the body over? Are the bodies from outside the environment toxic to the animals that are adapted to it?]

3. Ever hear of a bicycle?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm liking this so far. Kind of a sucker for "running around post-apocalyptic cities" stories and damn, that background art is sumptuous. To me, the somewhat simplistic character designs of the girls are a bit incongruous with the detailed background but it's not a biggie for me.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I always had a special place for the wandering in apocalyptic ruins thing, which had its hayday in the 80s or 90s I think.

This to me is exactly what a modern take on that would look like, and I appreciate it.

The one thing I could do without is Aoi. Aoi, you suck.

The only reason I can think of that they'd send her is that it was really really expensive to make these people, and they only made those three, so she's all they've got.

Anyway, I'm waiting to see where this goes, but visually and atmospherically it's excellent now. It feels very unique: it has a sense of identity that makes it very much its own. Nothing really quite looks or feels like this.

The greenery that has taken over the city is beautiful and tranquil, and there is a certain beauty in the crumbling edifices, but something about the shadows and the rest of the pallete is slightly menacing.

I really liked the ED: the imagery was pretty powerful, and the song was good. I thought the speed talking was cool.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I first thought this was an original work but it's actually based on an ongoing manga series with 19 volumes so far. Should be interesting to see how they gonna squeeze that into 13 episodes...but since it's not licensed in English, not many people here will be able to compare, i suppose.

That aside, what others else already said: the outfits are silly and the girls look like they haven't really been prepared for this but the setting is interesting and got me curious enough to continue for now.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine made a point I agree with. "I wish this were two separate shows. Like, the girls and writing was one show and the setting and backgrounds were for a different show."

What was that 1-shot from a short while ago about some girls from the future who came back to a destroyed Tokyo to try and figure out what happened, or something like that?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
You might be thinking of the Arata-naru Sekai stuff.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
LOL yeah that's the one. I knew it under the english name but after a quick google check that's it.

So yeah I'd rather have something like that. It had far less stupid facepalming but still had all the perks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd appreciate the visuals if it weren't so overfiltered, and the characters not ghastly pale with super-thick line art. It really does make them seem like they're dolls in front of a green screen instead of actually in that environment.

The comparison to Arata naru Sekai makes sense, with its girls walking through desolate landscape. Though, I wish that one had been a full series instead of this, I liked the tone, character art, background set design, and general pacing of that OVA more than this first episode.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
If she wasn't there and cowardly, they all would be dead. So probably it's good they're not all "in your face" and capable.

Did I miss something that you apparently saw? How would they all be dead? Surely you don't think that the government/military entrusted these 3 girls to the task of scouring the wasteland to rescue survivors without giving them thorough military training? They weren't in any danger this episode from what I could tell.

You're right. Upon reviewing, the wolf's face wasn't covered in blood, he just didn't apply his lipstick properly. He wasn't going to rip out her throat, just kiss her. Totally no danger.

And having lead girl incapacitated from affection, surely not dead because girls who are immune to radiation can shake off wolf kisses like water off a wolf's back, would no hinder aiding quiet girl, whose radio was covered in blood. I mean ketchup.

{Not that I expect that to be the case. The trailer...}

And feral dogs? Feral dogs are dog shaped {my eyes immediately went to the tail} and most importantly, dog sized, I take it there's a zoo? In Tokyo? Come on, this is Urban Disaster 101 here...

From TV tropes.
Big Badass Wolf: The stray dogs of Tokyo have (somehow) reverted back into wolves. They are a danger.

{Slaps forehead} Lion goes by; "Look, it's a kitty! They've evolved!" Somehow.

You know what a stray dog in Tokyo would look like? A DOG! Name a breed, it'd be there in a pack. It wouldn't look like an extra from Wolf's Rain. Uniformly gray, bushy tail with a swoop, big. Really big.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
They fought so many other animals they evolved to their second stage. Their 3rd and final stage, lions (which are totally dogs) are still about 400xp away.

Luckily human girls are worth 250xp a pop. The one with the gun is worth 350.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings so far. I will continue watching for the setting and visuals - for now. I rarely make the effort and despise fictional characters, but I'm likely to make an exception for Aoi. That is one annoying girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
The funny thing about you guys saying that not be careful about the dog is that some of you also complained that the one girl was too afraid and there served no purpose to engineer someone like that. Well her fear design was probably exactly for dealing with situations like that but it did not work out right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12