• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wanna be the Strongest in the World! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think spoiler tags are even necessary for this show. It knows what it wants to be and does so in the most transparent way possible. What is there to spoil? The story? Pffftt HAHAHAHA
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
but then she was a hypocrite and looked down on the idols not knowing what sort of things they go through.

Kazama wasn't being hypocritical. Her assertion was that wrestlers were superior at wrestling, and that no mere idol with their training could compete in Kazama's venue. She never said that she herself could do anything an idol could do. Only that idols had no business challenging her to a fight.

That said, professional dancers go through a lot of stamina, agility, and strength training and any prominent star would be much better than an average person to take on martial arts training if they were so inclined. It would be more a mental challenge than a physical one -- professional fighters in their arena could do a newcomer in without breaking a sweat. As was amply demonstrated in the anime.

The real puzzle is why someone didn't put a stop the the Sakura fight in the first place. The promoters must have realized what was going to happen, and such a one sided outcome certainly wasn't going to help their ticket sales except for that one match. As it worked out it was the right move after all because Sakura called for a rematch as a pro, which Kazama accepted. The promoters couldn't have known that would happen, but that is exactly the kind of situation they would script to build up to a big show-down with lots of ticket sales. That pro-wrestling shop will end up owing Sweet Diva big time.

Final thought: those crotch shots. I feel like I need to go wash my face.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
I really do hope the fanservice gets cranked up even more as we go along.

Don't care how bad the story is or how repetitive the scenes are... the art is pretty darn good. And I would totally rewatch it dubbed if some top tier English voice actresses have some fun with it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Final thought: those crotch shots. I feel like I need to go wash my face.

That being the case, my I respectfully suggest that next time you watch the show, you refrain from slobbering your monitor quite so enthusiastically? Wink

Here's an actual photo of HaruhiToy enjoying Wanna be's sublime thematic charms:

- photo credit goes to the recently banned Rhyono

One thing I forgot to mention about things I liked was that I felt that the "villainess" actually had a legitimate viewpoint. The girls were being somewhat dismissive about wrestling so I kinda get where she was coming from. I also like the fact that she didn't actually cause any physical damage. I was worried the plot was going to be that she'd break Sakura's leg or something and as a result Sakura would have no choice but to retire from being idol. I'm a lot happier that it was Sakura's own choice to ask for a rematch and that being idol was still an option if she wanted it to be.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
What the hell did I just watch? Tits, ass and crotch shots coupled with screaming and crying. Oh yeah and then there was some wrestling as well.

Anyway, so after her crippling defeat and being utterly humiliated, she decides to go pro. I can't see this ending well at all, but I doubt that I'll be around to see how it turns out to be honest if the show keeps focusing on how much pain poor Sakura is in whilst combining it with as many shots of her crotch and tits as is humanly possible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
If you think about it, the show is not all that different to Free.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wait, what? In what way? You mean from a fanservice point of view or the story in the sense that someone is inspired to become the best after suffering a (crippling) defeat?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
Sports anime that have a large focus on fanservice shots? Or the defeat thing being a major drive, although she was slightly less douchie so far compared to Rin.

We just need some yuri moments. But where are we going to find that in a wrestling anime which has girls grab each other.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Putting aside Variable Geo and Ring-Out: Professional Lesring, which were actual hentai series, I can't think of very many wrestling series with real yuri in them. Wow. What untapped potential.

If they were concerned with playing it safe they could just do a show where a male wrestler gets genderswapped and is forced to go to the women's circuit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
If they were concerned with playing it safe they could just do a show where a male wrestler gets genderswapped and is forced to go to the women's circuit.

Now you are thinking like the Japanese.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If you think about it, the show is not all that different to Free.

I wouldn't say that exactly.

It would be closer if WBTSITW only ever had brief scenes of "woah hot girls in tight wrestling outfits" and not going all the way to zooming in on a girl's very defined crotch, and of course the breast grabbing shower scenes and excessive hentai moaning.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[ep.2

sakura talking to her sweet diva's manager about whole going pro yet also doing this to defend her group's honor give manager give the ok yet wonder on elena yet on live tv interview give she doing more for sweet diva group while sakura going pro wrestler.

now for sakura time to enter training camp of pro wrestling give easy workout were simple now for wrestling moves from german suplex, cross arm bar, spin toe hold, triangle choke, & stf hold.

yet sakura still prove herself more give female trainer think sakura got the "factor" to be a pro give male pres of female wrestling roster might let sakura in pro wrestling world give one more test to do.

so final test for sakura get 100 different slam throws from 10 of the berserk female rosters in many ways give slam by slam sakura give want it yet got 90 now for final 10 from rio yea few some slam even did a CHOKE SLAM yet hit slam 100.

sakura endure & pass it give exhaust she did it yet female trainer notice rio make slam less impact cause in rio words she want to "settle the score".

4 months later from hair cut to training now sakura's pro debut give do some kicks, clothes-line, & even a german suplex feel she got it.

but oops got over confidence end-up on the boston crab give trying reach the rope yet did but pulled back for more boston crab give all hard-work cue tap-out.

yet crowd did cheer for sakura after match give 1 pro match in yet from behind the scene in misaki's words "it will take bit time til sakura really prove herself".]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Training sequences were fairly bonerific. Although why Sakura was running in a track suit instead of bikini is beyond me.

GO, SAKURA, GO!!!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Training sequences were fairly bonerific.

We can always count on you in times like these to get to the high level essence.

Actually I think they are doing a good job presenting how hard a road Sakura has taken. Definitely a good move to have spoiler[her not win her first match.]

What seems to be a bit confusing is it seems her coach Ryo is being harder on Sakura than she would be the other girls. The extras spend a lot of their screen time amazed at how much punishment Sakura is taking. And on top of that they had her cleaning toilets? What's up with that?

Aside from the torture side of it I thought it might be interesting if they showed someone teaching actual wrestling moves. That's what made Kenichi Mightiest Disciple so good is they actually present some martial arts. Here it is all just sweat and strain. That's going to hurt the rating of the anime and it is hard to see how Sakura is ever going to improve.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
that wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the first episode was.

what I want to know is, just how many members of Sweet Diva are there. That stage has dozens of girls but we only ever see 5
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9