• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Wow, the US team gets disqualified and the Americans start jumping off the walls? What's up with that? So now it's cool to bash folks from the country that won and the folks who put the show on? I'd prefer to see more of the details before I start bashing everyone without actually knowing what happened.

Sydney2K wrote:
OK, does anyone think that this "news item" isn't news, but rather rumour and conjecture? It's one thing to say who won WCS 2006, but another thing to say "World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions". Questions from who? The fact is, this year a Rose of Versailles group won an award. Last year a Rose of Versailles group was disqualified from the US finals. There is no actual link, other than the subject matter. To connect the two without any evidence, proof or quote is not news.

Boy it sure would be nice if someone posted links to explain things or just flat out said it... oh, wait, somebody has. Maybe you guys should try reading what other people have posted. And the article.

I don't remember all the details, but it was blatantly obvious that there was bias at the least and flat out rigging at the worst.

The Rose of Versailles creator is pretty famous for condemning cosplay of her series. She's unlikely to suddenly change her mind and if she did, it probably WOULD be a news article. The American team is disqualified for cosplaying as Rose of Versailles characters and then this year a team cosplays as RoV and its perfectly fine. Add how the American team was treated last year and I think the bias is pretty obvious.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Fact: The World Cosplay Summit has suffered from controversy for the last two years.

Analysis: Maybe something is wrong with the World Cosplay Summit.

Fact: AX participated in last year's World Cosplay Summit. Some of the AX judges protested how the winner was selected. AX declined to participate this year.

Analysis: Maybe AX thinks something is wrong with the World Cosplay Summit.

Fact: Last year's US team was disqualified for cosplaying Rose of Versailles. This year, a Rose of Versailles team won 2nd place.

Analysis: That is at best inconsistent and at worst blatantly unfair. Either way, something is wrong with the World Cosplay Summit.

Now what? Should we open a year-long investigative report? Should we raid offices and issue subpoenas? Or should we simply wait for our (mostly) well reasoned readers to apply basic logic and take the World Cosplay Summit's results with a grain of salt?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:

Now what? Should we open a year-long investigative report?

If it get's Answerman over his fetish for Lolicon debate, then yeah, i'm all for it.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
Fact: The World Cosplay Summit has suffered from controversy for the last two years.

Fact: AX participated in last year's World Cosplay Summit. Some of the AX judges protested how the winner was selected. AX declined to participate this year.

Fact: Last year's US team was disqualified for cosplaying Rose of Versailles. This year, a Rose of Versailles team won 2nd place.

Analysis: That is at best inconsistent and at worst blatantly unfair. Either way, something is wrong with the World Cosplay Summit.

Now what? Should we open a year-long investigative report? Should we raid offices and issue subpoenas? Or should we simply wait for our (mostly) well reasoned readers to apply basic logic and take the World Cosplay Summit's results with a grain of salt?

*applause* I was actually worried about submitting what I knew about the situation for the article, but I'm very glad I did. It pretty-much cements in my mind that there should be no US involvement in the WCS at any point in the future.
Tmac1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ah, I remember all that mess from the previous WCS.

If anyone out there watches much Japanese Tv, I mean like real Japanese Tv, anything that has to do with "reality" is predetermined/staged/etc. to pander to their demographic hardcore. Of course that's basicly what "reality" Tv has boiled down to in every country, but still.

There's really no question due to the first hand accounts and the way programming like that is handled to the fact that it's rigged.

I have to give it to AX for standing up and saying, "Wow, that's BS".
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:

except another group was disqualified this year for the same cosplay. granted this whole competition is pretty lame to begin with, but one can't deny that it's rigged.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
BountySniper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
OK, does anyone think that this "news item" isn't news, but rather rumour and conjecture? It's one thing to say who won WCS 2006, but another thing to say "World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions". Questions from who? The fact is, this year a Rose of Versailles group won an award. Last year a Rose of Versailles group was disqualified from the US finals. There is no actual link, other than the subject matter. To connect the two without any evidence, proof or quote is not news.

If there was a "Deep Throat" at Aichi TV that said that there was a connection, then that would be news, albeit investigative news. In this case, this is just two or three isolated pieces which then invites people to connect the dots. It's fine for people to discuss this in forums, because we are then talking about opinions. Just don't post it as news.

Widya Santoso

The official WCS website has not yet been updated since the contest just ended recently. However, since Brazil won, a few Brazillian websites report the winners. So there's proof that a Rose Of Varsailles team won this year and we have an Italian cosplayer on cosplay.com that reports that one of their teams was disqualified for wearing RoV costumes and yet he/she does not condemn the contest in any way and congratulates the winners.

Brazillian News with PHOTOS:

http://henshin.uol.com.br/wcs/2006/08/06/brasil-e-campeao-do-wcs-2006/

http://papodebudega.blogspot.com/2006/08/anima-info-86.html

So unfortuently WCS has been caught in another lie with this evidence. The story that is reported on Anime News Network is not gossip, it's the cold hard facts. However, many people have not taken WCS seriously ever since the fiasco last year, and if we think of it as more of a TV SHOW/Cosplay Beauty Show rather than a real, and fair "cosplay" competition then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. The problem is that WCS was/is being advertised and treated as a real, fair contest to which it is clearly NOT with evidence and information that has been presented from last year and this year.

And I think people would be more understanding of the American's situation if they put themselves in their shoes. What if your team was disqualified only because of the costumes you wear weren't allowed ONLY to have people WIN 2nd place with the same costumes that you were TOLD that you could not have in the contest??? Um no that doesn't sit well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
So. let's see if I got this straight...

Last year, AX had a cosplay competition. U.S RoV group didn't meet the aesthetic qualification to go to Japan, ie obese by Japanese qualifications, so another group was made and sent there. TV station not wanting to insult them gives an excuse of creator not wanting RoV cosplay. (Apparently, someone mentioned that an obese cosplay team competing in Japan would be made a laughing stock.) U.S cosplayers get upset because it's outed that body types were taken into consideration as well as costume and performances making it like a U.S model or actress casting call. (If you looked at those Newtype USA pics of professional Japanese cosplayers, it would look that way to me too. Those girls are skiny and toned.)

Stuff happens in Japan with the U.S team. Abandoned by TV staff per U.S team claims and has to find way to airport without a translator.

Some U.S. fans hold grudge because of this. Flared because a Japanese RoV team won 2nd place this year.

So, let's discuss the alternate possiblility...

Would you rather have had the RoV team go over there and been laughed out of the competiton if the person who said that on the site was correct?

Actually, I liked the Japanese RoV team pictured. Costumes aren't everything in the competition. Too bad we can't compare the RoV teams side by side.

No, I wouldn't be upset. I would actually thank the station, if that laughing stock part was true.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
BountySniper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Wow, the US team gets disqualified and the Americans start jumping off the walls? What's up with that? So now it's cool to bash folks from the country that won and the folks who put the show on? I'd prefer to see more of the details before I start bashing everyone without actually knowing what happened.

No one is bashing the winners. Congradulations to the winners. They may have won fair and square but that is besides the point here as we're not talking about the winners at all. We're taking about the unfair rules to enter and rules that seemngly are bent and put back into place when convenient for the organizers. And we're bashing the people that run an unfair "competition" ..no sorry I mean to say..."show". I cannot call WCS a competition any longer with all of this evidence that it is NOT a fair and just competition.

Last edited by BountySniper on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Would you rather have had the RoV team go over there and been laughed out of the competiton if the person who said that on the site was correct?

Yes. At least then it would have been a competition.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Yes. At least then it would have been a competition.

No, it would have been a travesty and a ruining of a competition imo. The TV station and other sponsors would have been blamed because they should have known better.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

except another group was disqualified this year for the same cosplay. granted this whole competition is pretty lame to begin with, but one can't deny that it's rigged.

The Italians I believe. Or was it the Spanish?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
italians
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
italians

Yep, the Japanese are getting us back for WWII. And Hiroshima and Nagazaki.
BountySniper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So. let's see if I got this straight...

Last year, AX had a cosplay competition. U.S RoV group didn't meet the aesthetic qualification to go to Japan, ie obese by Japanese qualifications, so another group was made and sent there. TV station not wanting to insult them gives an excuse of creator not wanting RoV cosplay. (Apparently, someone mentioned that an obese cosplay team competing in Japan would be made a laughing stock.) U.S cosplayers get upset because it's outed that body types were taken into consideration as well as costume and performances making it like a U.S model or actress casting call. (If you looked at those Newtype USA pics of professional Japanese cosplayers, it would look that way to me too. Those girls are skiny and toned.)

Stuff happens in Japan with the U.S team. Abandoned by TV staff per U.S team claims and has to find way to airport without a translator.

Some U.S. fans hold grudge because of this. Flared because a Japanese RoV team won 2nd place this year.

So, let's discuss the alternate possiblility...

Actually, I liked the Japanese RoV team pictured. Costumes aren't everything in the competition. Too bad we can't compare the RoV teams side by side.

No, I wouldn't be upset. I would actually thank the station, if that laughing stock part was true.

UH actually...that's pretty much all speculation on your part.
I don't know where you're getting that the Japanese are so focused on obesity being the devil or anything. Obesity is frowned upon in every country in general but it's not like people will shoot you if you're obese in Japan, it's just like being obese in any other country. I've been to Japan many times and I see obese people there too. AND I've seen plenty of obese cosplayers at the conventions. And no I am not one of those "American cosplayers are better than Japanese" belivers OR Vice Versa. I think equally there are good and bad cosplayers IN EVERY COUNTRY.

I've seen the American RoV group, and not all of them are obese - in fact I would say one of them is stick thin. And if WCS is a true "competition" what you look like would not be the entire factor of your cosplay, they would also take into consideration your talents in making your costume. Just like ANY masquerade/costume contest that we have everywhere in the world. I seriously doubt that the American RoV group would be "the laughing stock". The one thing I've learned from the Japanese is respect. These ladies are amazing cosplayers and I can't see Japan laughing at them for making these outstanding costumes. I would see many of them respect the talent that they possess. Of course this is also my opinon as well but since I've been to Japan and am close friends with Japanese cosplayers, it might be a decent guess. ^^; However we'll never know the truth since that turn of events did not occur. So why bring it up? We should discuss the facts instead.

Anyways..If TV Aichi just wanted pretty people in decent costumes they can just hire models...but no they want to portay this as a real contest with real people that make costumes. Which brings me to my point, WCS is just another "SHOW" that makes and breaks rules as they see fit and pretend that they are a genuine contest WHICH IS THE PROBLEM here. If they were straight with everyone from the start, there wouldn't be any problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5