• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galilei Donna (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The characters barely interest me, one feels like a young adult brat, one like a robot, and the youngest while cool switches between helpless and spoiler[taking down a mech] like it is nobodies business.]

I'm not sure how you're coming to these conclusions. Hazuki is a spot on know-it-all college student even though she's faiing her classes. Kazuki is far from being a robot. She is shown to spoiler[have a crush on someone and even though she can defend herself, she was terrified.] Hozuki obviously isn't helpless since spoiler[she's built weapons to defend herself.]

Bango wrote:
It'll be a while until I can remember the names since they're so similar so I'll just called them Rebel, Loli and Drunk.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not going to lie, I always need to have an additional tab open to make sure I don't confuse their names. The only one I don't screw up is the oldest one, Hazuki.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wait so is this show mostly gonna be about big doofy CG mechs? That's disappointing. Also, am I correct in understanding that this girl is just a normal little girl but is just such a super genius that she builds mechs right under her parents noses? On the bright side, it's quite interesting to see a show about siblings who actually act like siblings and who come from a divorced family instead of a either a totally idealized one or a nonexistent one. I'm interested to see what they do with it.

Yeah, the CG looks pretty bad.

I'm not really sure what to make of the story yet: the idea of the different aged and differently delinquent siblings is kind of cool, but a lot of the characterizations and events are kind of dumb.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Galileo's descendants in the modern day would have some kind of inheritance because of it. Seems to be intended to be a little goofy though, so whatever.

The 'itariano' is also pretty funny to listen to.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Smart money is it being something in that telescope. Call it a hunch. And yes, I do believe I'm stating the blindingly obvious.

Also, I was trying to remember some other show with 3 differently aged sisters that I enjoyed and had a believable dynamic between them. I was being stupid and saying Minami-ke when I was thinking of Neo Ranga. Wow. Those are two very different shows. Come to think of it a sisters trio appears a lot. Popotan, Read or Die TV, etc.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

Not to mention that the OP and ED show the youngest in nothing but overalls, that feels a little bit like fanservice and I do not appreciate that.

Already a reason why it's great.
Go complain about the disgusting borderline hentais that go around this season with tit monsters, if you want to. This is casual fanservice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I disagree on the CG. At least the matte coloring helped to blend it in more and the frame-rate wasn't too choppy like often see.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I just realized something. It's kind of a long set up, but bear with me.

During the conversation between the sisters and their mom at the police station, their mom remarks that the sisters shame Galileo's name to which Hazuki (the oldest) says something along the lines of, "At least you inherited his engineering ability." Earlier, their mother scolded each of them for their faults. Hozuki's (the youngest) was shutting herself up in the house to which she replies (and again, I'm paraphrasing), "There was something I wanted to do."

Judging by what happens later in the episode, I think it's safe to assume that Hozuki was hiding the fact that she also inherited Galileo's engineering ability. Remember her father's reaction when he figures out that spoiler[she's the one inside the goldfish ship.]
Doughboy88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Judging by what happens later in the episode, I think it's safe to assume that Hozuki was hiding the fact that she also inherited Galileo's engineering ability. Remember her father's reaction when he figures out that spoiler[she's the one inside the goldfish ship.]

Well, when the evil henchman guy with red hair, Shiishino, spoiler[asks the parents if the ship is theirs they both say that they have not see it before.] This could be to help themselves or maybe they never have.

Hozuki spoiler[could have found/built/repaired the ship in secret and hid her engineering ability from everyone. She obviously has some skill since she is the one working on the ship in the OP & ED.]
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Doughboy88 wrote:
phia_one wrote:

Well, when the evil henchman guy with red hair, Shiishino, spoiler[asks the parents if the ship is theirs they both say that they have not see it before.] This could be to help themselves or maybe they never have.

Hozuki spoiler[could have found/built/repaired the ship in secret and hid her engineering ability from everyone. She obviously has some skill since she is the one working on the ship in the OP & ED.]

I think the parents reaction to the ship question is genuine confusion.

I'm not sure why you're saying Hozuki could have built it in secret when it's obvious that she did.
Doughboy88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
reiterating? idk why I did. my fault.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
This show has excellent music and graphical design, but it tries too hard on fanservice. Those cutesy dolly loli voices, those sexy orgasmic noises that girls do while they run, are little overboard.

"Steampunk" settings are within expected lines, and there is no in-the-face stupidity in scenario for now, so this project has potential to be of very high quality overall.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
What's the first thing I think of when Anna shows up? Hunchback IIC

I blame the hair. Can't unsee.

Anyway, another good episode. The conspiracies run deep, the cops are unequipped to handle spoiler[a 12-year-old's power armour], a very odd scene cut after spoiler[Armoured Dad takes a rocket launcher to the back], and a nice fun happy scene at the end (that last one was sarcasm)

Loving the show even more.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Damn looks like both spoiler[parents are goners. Sad ]
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I vote spoiler[Dad's ok]. But unless spoiler[Mom just slipped on a banana peel and landed head-first on a box of strawberries I think we can write her off.]
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. Anna is awesome. Oh, and we finally meet Roberto. I was surprised by how deep his voice was. Wasn't expecting spoiler[their mom to die.]

So far, this is still my favorite of the season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Whoa...that ending. I wasn't ready for that. Is that woman spoiler[dead]?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19