• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts III's D23 Expo Japan Game Footage Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Davy0 wrote:
Until you understand these guys are in the business of making money and could care less about your qualms about the decent story (I've seen worse stories by far), you're not going to get what you want because you don't want to try to understand it. The manga, the portable games, and everything ties into the series. You can even go to youtube to watch it without playing it...

The same way supplementary books don't matter to a movie, spinoff crap like that should not be essential to a game.

Speaking of, since I'm hearing no Star Wars and no Marvel, just regular Disney stuff...pass. Pass so hard.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
KH's story is a pretty shitty.

But it dosen't help that it's spread into things not actually called sequels. I don't understand or agree that sequels need to stand on their own. Though if you're going to use the "for the money" argument it makes just as much sense for sequels to stand on their own as to make them not impenetrable to new customers. I'm pretty sure SE will not make KH3 something that needs incredible dedication to understand and enjoy.

But no I don't think sequels need to stand on their own though KH2 does with the intro basically being a quick recap. The thing is all those portable games are not sequels, they are not KH3. They are side games. When people say the story is convulted(and it is) the answer should not be "oh you gotta play the side games". Side games are for those who are the dedicated fan and are for extra, helpful, but not necessary info.

I'm not going to tell someone that in order to understand Star Wars you gotta read all the expanded universe. I'm going to tell them, just watch the movies. I should be able to tell someone who wants to play KH3, he should be fine with playing KH1 and 2. Maybe BBS since it's 0, but you don't need to play games that explain in detail the 6 months of a relationship these two characters had because if the story was told well those details are unneeded and just extra cool stuff.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

But it dosen't help that it's spread into things not actually called sequels. I don't understand or agree that sequels need to stand on their own. Though if you're going to use the "for the money" argument it makes just as much sense for sequels to stand on their own as to make them no impenetrable to new customers. I'm pretty sure SE will not make KH3 something that needs incredible dedication to understand and enjoy.

But no I don't think sequels need to stand on their own though KH2 does with the intro basically being a quick recap. The thing is all those portable games are not sequels, they are not KH3. They are side games. When people say the story is convulted(and it is) the answer should not be "oh you gotta play the side games". Side games are for those who are the dedicated fan and are for extra helpful, but not necessary info.

I'm not going to tell someone that in order to understand Star Wars you gotta read all the expanded universe. I'm going to tell them, just watch the movies. I should be able to tell someone who wants to play KH3, he should be fine with playing KH1 and 2. Maybe BBS since it's 0, but you don't need to play games that explain in detail the 6 months of a relationship these two characters had because if the story was told well those details are unneeded and just extra cool stuff.

Agreed completely. Basically, if you can't make a story work without side content, you have failed as a storyteller.
apopheniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the story, you get to use amusement park rides to beat up on Disney villains!

If I played Kingdom Hearts games for the story, I'd have given up halfway through the first one. Let alone all the nonsense about "they're clones that are actually the leftovers from the enemies of the first game, and others from a past life are secretly connected to them, and..." stuff that sounds like a six-year-old's playground game.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Can't tell if $h!t is the word of the day or people are jumping the gun.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Oh well I doubt it's really a representation of what that game actually will be when it comes out on PS5.

I see what you did there.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
"If a story isn't told in THIS specific way, it's a failure of a good story."

That argument makes sense on a personal level, when the inconveniences of your personal circumstances keep you from enjoying or understanding of the full experience of the story. On a universal level, though, why can't we accept that some games' stories are ongoing chapters of a full story/world? Kingdom Hearts is particularly exciting to me BECAUSE it's a chapter story and I only get a piece at a time. It allows me to beat one game and then sit back and analyze what is already there for a while before the next game comes out and my theories are tested or challenged.

Personally, I've never found the story that hard to understand. It follows the logic of its own setting (which is, by design, pretty symbolic of the game's themes) AND it makes sure to stay consistent with it (arguably, as I have trouble trying to convince some people of this, even though it's as clear as day to me), so I've never had a problem with it. Is it "realistic?" No. But that doesn't mean it's "bad," as long as it sticks with its consistency. Is it filled with a ton of world-building elements that just keep increasing with every game to the point where it's hard to keep track of everything? Possibly, but as a game, without these new elements, we might just accuse it of being too stuck to its roots and not experimental enough. It is what it is and I like it for what it is. My opinion is not invalid just because others don't agree with this.

And yes, I respect that not everyone enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series' story like I do. We all have our circumstances, backgrounds, and criteria for our own standards. But we should be weary of treating our own criteria as universal truths.
Davy0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

But it dosen't help that it's spread into things not actually called sequels. I don't understand or agree that sequels need to stand on their own. Though if you're going to use the "for the money" argument it makes just as much sense for sequels to stand on their own as to make them not impenetrable to new customers. I'm pretty sure SE will not make KH3 something that needs incredible dedication to understand and enjoy.

But no I don't think sequels need to stand on their own though KH2 does with the intro basically being a quick recap. The thing is all those portable games are not sequels, they are not KH3. They are side games. When people say the story is convulted(and it is) the answer should not be "oh you gotta play the side games". Side games are for those who are the dedicated fan and are for extra, helpful, but not necessary info.

Again, you can talk all the sh*t that you want, you don't have to actually play the games. If you wish to know about the side-games to understand the main games better, youtube has all the cutscenes tying into everything you need in both japanese voice overs and english voices. They have all the most recent games. There's also the HD versions with 1.5 out and 2.5 coming out in a neat package. All I hear are whiners when they say "I shouldn't have to play a game" when their asses are too lazy to go on youtube and type "Kingdom Hearts '???' All Cutscenes".
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
Again, that makes peripheral materials mandatory viewing to enjoy a story. It's the same thing as saying you can't enjoy a movie without reading an obscure 3 year old tie in novel. What matters is the movie itself, or the game itself. And if you can't do that, rethink your approach.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Again, that makes peripheral materials mandatory viewing to enjoy a story. It's the same thing as saying you can't enjoy a movie without reading an obscure 3 year old tie in novel. What matters is the movie itself, or the game itself. And if you can't do that, rethink your approach.

But I don't think any of us are saying this. You can enjoy the game for what it is by itself. You just can't expect to understand or care about every single detail about the setting or over-arching story and characters if you haven't played the game where those things played a central role. At least, not as well as those of us who HAVE can. And that's a universal truth for most sequels, whether they be movies or games or novels or practically anything.

I say this because quite a few of my friends started with later games and those games intrigued them enough for them to want to play the older games. And with these HD collections, that's getting even easier to do.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
About time...KH3 was something painful to wait for...so painful I lost interest in it and stopped caring a long time ago.

As for story argument, the story is supposed to drive the gameplay. It's supposed to make the player want to know more and keep playing, unless the gameplay itself is enough to keep the player interested...which KH kinda fails to do. The gameplay itself for KH is rather bland.

If the story can't drive the player and the gameplay is bland, then it's better just sitting on the shelf at the store. That's how I view things personally. I don't care how good the graphics are, if it isn't enjoyable in one of these ways, it's not worth the purchase.

All this heartless, nobody, my cousin's grandpa, I'm my own grandpa stuff in KH is made me stop caring about the story and characters altogether, with all that's left is bland gameplay.

I only bought Dream Drop because my favorite characters were in it from a DS game (TWEWY).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2