• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
what if someone actually got sued/arrested over this? that would be a first. i mean it's pretty unlikely, but you never know...
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Jedi_Vader20 wrote:
Unfortunately you are very correct about this.

If a torrent shows up on that swedish tracker, or even on the more popular anime indexing sites, Bandai will be able to track EVERYONE that downloads and/or uploads the torrent and be able to prosecute them.

RIAA style lawsuits anyone?

They're probably just after the fansubber, not the people that are downloading it. Come on now.

Whatever happen to respecting other's people's property.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey, there it is! The other shoe! Always knew it would drop someday.

(Or people figure the free ride would last forever?)

------RM
DaveJS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Bandai made a mistake saying that they will prosecute people. This early on, I think they should have just asked that SSS and such not be fansubbed. I'm sure most groups will comply with this, and for those that don't, Bandai should ask them to stop, like what FUNi did (it was FUNi right?). After that, they should take legal action.

My point in short, by saying what they did, some fansub groups who may not have done it, will, just to spite Bandai. And people who might not have downloaded it, will. IMO, at least...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Jedi_Vader20 wrote:

If a torrent shows up on that swedish tracker, or even on the more popular anime indexing sites, Bandai will be able to track EVERYONE that downloads and/or uploads the torrent and be able to prosecute them.

They're probably just after the fansubber, not the people that are downloading it. Come on now.

yes, but see pretty much all fansubbers work through IRC now.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
Ditto Usenet. Ditto ditto that Swedish piracy site. I see that this movie is coming out on Sept. 1. Anyone want to wager that I can get a copy by the 8th? This announcement will only serve as a challenge to the fansubbers, which I expect them to meet.

So in other words, the honorable fansubbers of yesterday have been replaced by crass ordinary pirates. It's no longer about spreading anime, it's about getting stuff without paying for it. Good, we're clear on that.

------RM
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Plenty of fansubbers use both, plus fansubbers usually have websites.

LordRobin wrote:
Hey, there it is! The other shoe! Always knew it would drop someday.

(Or people figure the free ride would last forever?)

------RM

At this point, they are just prosecuting people who are fansubbing licensed series, which is fine by me. I'll be more concerned when they start prosecuting the fansubbing of unlicensed anime.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Riyousha wrote:
How will fansubbers get caucht oyu ask? Well many of the larger licensers have programs named after some eight-legged bugs called "spiders" that surf the web constantly for their content. They do it by searching for certain keywords. Then when the spiders find illegal clips, they will track the fansubbers down from their computer and sue them.

good luck on IRC

yeah for those you'd have to actually write a slightly more complicated program to look around.

ahh... it should be fun the day the anime companies start asking the blackhats for help.

Well, most of the fansubbers say that they'll fansub something until it gets licensed outside of Japan, or they are asked by the company not to do it... I think that gauntlet been dropped.

Last edited by Yoda117 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TNaran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Go Bandai! I'd really like to see Bandai go through with their threat and legally prosecute a fansub group (assuming that there are any that fansub the film despite Bandai's warning). Mostly because I'd love to see fansubs disappear and be replaced with legal versions of the same (the actual companies offering episodes for download for a dollar or two a piece). Yeah, I know one lawsuit isn't going to destroy the entire fansub phenomenom, but it's a start.

I think you're perception may have some problem with WHY fansubs exist. And PS it would NOT be for $1/$2 per episode.

My idea is to legalise and monetize fansubs, and the iTunes platform shows the basic idea.

Near simultaneous release with airing in Japan and availablility on a "service" (e.g., iTunes) with a service sub. The software would have the ability to create a plugin that would allow other people to create their own subtitles for the script, and it would be allowed as long as a simple copyright procedure is followed: a particular fan-sub translation is co-owned by the owner of the property and the fansub group under certain restrictions (Creative Commons copyright licenses allows this kind of arrangement). Also, the group allows the owner to enforce the copyright on behalf of the group making it easier for them to shut down eBay pirates.

The studios, licensees and fans all win.

Better idea: Every fan who buys an episode gets a $1 rebate/episode if they buy the DVD when released.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Bandai's probably got the money and the legal team to actually pursue this if they choose to. I think it would be very interesting to see how a lawsuit would play out, and we might finally get some answers to all the fansubbing questions that people have been assuming answers for for so long. I imagine that if fansubbing hurt them that much, and if they were serious, they'd have a small group of people skilled in the use of search engines scouring fansub sites for their stuff. Who's to say they don't? Bots, heck, you've got to distribute somehow.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, bandai is already offering free streaming of some of their programs, even if they are only dubbed (fine for me, but some may object) so i think that's a start towards legal, company-autherized fansubs.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Jedi_Vader20 wrote:

That's not true. There are ways to prevent them from seeing what you are downloading, or to even get your IP address if you are downloading/seeding.

Still, a preemptive strike like this makes me think the movie isn't that good, the licensors know it, and are afraid that if this gets out on fansubs, they will take an even bigger black eye financially from bad word-of-mouth.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
While I appreciate Bandai's efforts to protect their investment (and they should, since they own the rights), I rather see them make a better effort in fixing their R1-DVD glitches and selling us quality DVDs than going after the fansubbers.

You're right, they should make sure the DVDs they release are totally 100 percent up to whatever your personal standards are before asking fansubbers not to pirate their movies and distribute them for free.

That's a totally reasonable stance to take.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Still, a preemptive strike like this makes me think the movie isn't that good, the licensors know it, and are afraid that if this gets out on fansubs, they will take an even bigger black eye financially from bad word-of-mouth.

This doesn't follow any sort of real-world logic whatsoever and I'm not sure why it is you think this way. This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Last edited by Zac on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DaveJS wrote:
I think Bandai made a mistake saying that they will prosecute people. This early on, I think they should have just asked that SSS and such not be fansubbed. I'm sure most groups will comply with this, and for those that don't, Bandai should ask them to stop, like what FUNi did (it was FUNi right?). After that, they should take legal action.

My point in short, by saying what they did, some fansub groups who may not have done it, will, just to spite Bandai. And people who might not have downloaded it, will. IMO, at least...

Whatever happen to wanting to protect your investment/property? Bandai has every right to the title they license.

Isn't it also ironic that fansubber want to protect their sub from being misuse or translation from being stolen...yet the stuff they sub are stolen.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Heh, even though im not much of a downloader of fansubs as i used to be, i have to say Go Bandai! But, im afraid your warnings will be a little fruitless. There will be that one, crappy as hell fansubbing group that will fansub it anyway and release it in some manner for the masses.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29