• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What? Tokyopop exclusive Website Manga Sales?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've never used the Tokyo Pop website myself. But has anyone written to TP and told them that their site sucks?

I like this idea. Maybe if enough of us do this, it might work. And only intelligent letters saying why the site sucks.

...Or maybe an online petition.......Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but do you think they'll actually pay attention? Or take it as spam?
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
If it's well written and explains the reasons why the site isn't good intelligently, and if there is enough of them, it might work.

We could also try to made a thread on their forum saying our dislike for the site, if that doesn't work. But that's a last resort. I don't want to have to hit that low soon Razz
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
We could also try to made a thread on their forum saying our dislike for the site, if that doesn't work. But that's a last resort. I don't want to have to hit that low soon Razz

I sank to that low about two months ago. Razz
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
Can we ONLY get them from TP.com? If that's true it's gonna totally suck. I like to get my books from other sites like Overstock.com. Damn Tokyopop.

Well, you can get them from RightStuf too, but that's not surprising since IIRC, RightStuf is the group managing Tokyopop's store backend. The frustrating element is that, unlike the other titles, the web-exclusive titles do not have any discount applied to them.

I think it's probably debatable at this point as to how exclusive these "exclusive releases" will actually be. The titles may very well show up on Overstock.com or some other site later. Remember, for Tokyopop this really is a test of a potentially viable business model, and they're trying to determine how it will best work.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
Remember, for Tokyopop this really is a test of a potentially viable business model, and they're trying to determine how it will best work.

Shove their ****** OEL crap online and leave the shelves to the real stuff.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Shove their ****** OEL crap online and leave the shelves to the real stuff.

I enjoy a number of Tokyopop's OEL titles, and shoving them all online as you suggest would negatively impact the viability of that new market. Just because they are not made by Japanese or Korean artists does not make them any less real or legitimate. In point of fact, some of the "real stuff" as you call it is just as crappy as the worst of the OEL titles (if not worse).

In a perfect world, a smaller fan base would not impact the number of volumes produced for a title or the distribution of it. We don't live in a perfect world, however, and titles that don't do well initially in the bookstores are less likely to have future volumes picked up. Why would bookstores want to stock something they wouldn't be able to move off the shelves, particularly in a category like manga where there are a lot of titles with a lot of volumes.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I brought up this topic weeks ago...

Anyway, when I first found out about this, I was upset, too. But the more I thought about it, it made sense for the series that aren't selling well and risk cancelation. However, for brand new series just starting out? I wouldn't buy a manga unless I saw the hard copy first. I'd want to know what the art and story look like (I've seen beautiful covers on manga, only to open it and face crappy artwork).
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I've seen beautiful covers on manga, only to open it and face crappy artwork).

As sad as it is true, my brother! And Return to Labyrinth, a "Global Manga" Tokyopop comic book, is quite possibly the biggest offender EVER.

Just look at that gorgeous cover! If I was browsing manga online without seeing any page previews, I'd buy it in a flash. Open it up and you'll see that the art is absolutely barftastic. I can't find any online previews for the art that showcase how truly awful this rubbish is, but here are some of the better drawn pages:

Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

As sad as it is true, my brother! And Return to Labyrinth, a "Global Manga" Tokyopop comic book, is quite possibly the biggest offender EVER.

Insert extremely cliche comment about judging books by their covers.

This is why I almost never buy anything without at least having some sort of preview. I've only "blind-bought" a few manga and that was only because they were based on anime I'd watched. I just foolishly assumed the art couldn't be THAT bad or different from the series.

I think I'm going to start being even more paranoid now though.

Wolverine Princess, for the love of all that's kawaii, please change that avatar to something else! Before now, you had some of the best avatars around.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

You sound like my sister when she snatched that manga from the shelves and opened it. Except she almost cried. Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9356

animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=365

Covered this (most recently) back in August. But their new site is a mess. Try to find info about their products...

-t
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9356

animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=365

Covered this (most recently) back in August. But their new site is a mess. Try to find info about their products...

-t

But thats embedded in an article, thats not fair!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2