• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation February 2014 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see Funi trying out different release strategies: imports (GitS: Arise), sub-only and now "deluxe" releases like Kamisama Kiss. The world is a'changin'.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
^ The King of Harts. It's same info that Otaku USA had hinted. They didn't make it 100% clear if it was an actual release or prize though.

I find it interesting that they actually listed a print run.
Quote:
This Goddess Edition premium box set is limited to only 2,500 copies, and includes Nanami's ornamental hair stick, a folding fan, a tote bag, a Tomoe Omamori lucky amulet, and seven postcards, all housed in an exclusive collector's artbox!

Contains episodes 1-13.

Special Features: Select Episode Commentaries, Video Commentary, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I just noticed the print run, too. Interesting, indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
They did the same with the Arise import - noting that there'd only be 2,400 units.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
At the time, though, that seemed like a one-off thing since they've never done it before and GitS:ARISE was there first ever import release. However, this is now the second time they've done it, first for a domestic release, so maybe it'll become a thing. I haven't been an anime fan for very long, but I have no recollection of any R1 distributer ever saying how many LEs they had on hand. They were always just "limited", but now there's a number attached, which is neat even if it doesn't actually change anything - 2500 could have always been the magic number.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
EDIT: I found out what makes it goddess-y!

Whoa! What the hey, man. Are we feeling the need to be competitive Funi or just experimenting? Anyways, I like the approach and price tag. I'm halfway tempted to pick it up, but I'm not really interested in the show. Do it with something else and you will probably see more of my money go your way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I like knowing exactly how many copies will be out there. What would be even better is if each copy is given a specific number.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I haven't been an anime fan for very long, but I have no recollection of any R1 distributer ever saying how many LEs they had on hand. They were always just "limited", but now there's a number attached, which is neat even if it doesn't actually change anything - 2500 could have always been the magic number.

It used to be a promotional tool utilized by select R1 distributors for LE releases years past. Some even have the unique unit number on the release. Geneon and Bandai Visual USA both come to mind. After the market shifted away from single releases, this was not really utilized anymore.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like knowing exactly how many copies will be out there. What would be even better is if each copy is given a specific number.

Correction to my previous post: Bandai noted how many copies of the Saber Marionette J Ultimate collection there would be (5000). They also had all 5000 signed and numbered by the creator. I would totally be down for some numbering.

WTK wrote:
It used to be a promotional tool utilized by select R1 distributors for LE releases years past. Some even have the unique unit number on the release. Geneon and Bandai Visual USA both come to mind. After the market shifted away from single releases, this was not really utilized anymore.

I just checked all my old Geneon LEs and Gunbuster (my sole BV release) and couldn't find such a number, so I guess just didn't get the right ones. Either that or I don't how it was done. I mean, there are numbers on them, but I don't think they're specific to them be limited editions.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Um, yeah, totally pre-ordering that Kamisama Kiss Goddess release. I was disappointed initially when I didn't see a LE release for the series. Well, here it is!

Of the three shoujo series that played during the same season last year, KK ended up being my favorite. Yeah, it's more generic than the other two, but I just ended up enjoying it more.

Also, I really appreciate seeing Funimation go more out with their extras nowadays, and I want to support those releases when they're for a series I'm interested in.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I just checked all my old Geneon LEs and Gunbuster (my sole BV release) and couldn't find such a number, so I guess just didn't get the right ones. Either that or I don't how it was done. I mean, there are numbers on them, but I don't think they're specific to them be limited editions.

On top of my head: the Patlabor movie 1 & 2 LEs and Applessed LE SteelBook with figure. I'm drawing a blank on other releases right now.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
well, Colleen Clinkenbeard did say that she was in charge of the special features dept and that we can expect to see more stuff next year, and if this is an example of what we can expect from now on, then I've got no complaints
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
See, what I like about this is, unlike Aniplex, they're putting out the standard combo pack at the same time. So the collector types have the option of spending a little bit more for something fancy, while the casual fans can just get the show if they prefer. None of this "bluray is ONLY for the collectors, DVD is for everyone else" crap.

Also, one thing I think I should point out: Notice how there are five discs? This would logically mean that FUNimation is putting the show across 3 DVDs and 2 BDs. Perhaps they're following the other companies' example and putting fewer episodes on more discs to retain quality. And higher-quality DVDs are definitely something I'm okay with.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

Kiddy Grade got 5000 copies for the Starter Set, although they weren't numbered that I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that Kamisama Kiss was a big enough title to warrant such a release. I'm curious to watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3