• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'm really not all that impressed with how ANN 5.0 looks right now. Even with the second option (list format with images), the layout looks seriously cluttered and there's massive unused space left over. Even worse, the white background makes reading the website irritatingly hard.

DmonHiro wrote:
...I absolutely hate version 5.0, and hope there is some option or setting to go back to the previous one.

For those that were wishing for the option of using the preceding ANN layout, I hate to bring up bad news, but...

Tempest wrote:
Unfortunately this was more than just a layout change. All future coding will be for ANN 5.0, so ANN 4 will probably break after a few changes to the site, database, etc...

In fact, we've got a new way of posting articles soon. So even if we gave you ANN 4, new articles wouldn't show up on it.

Sorry.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't you just love it when you have something nice, that works perfectly, and then someone "improves it" and makes it impossible to get that old something, that worked perfectly well, back? I sure love it when that happens.

What possible reason was there to restyle the whole site? If it ain't broke... don't break it.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The new layout is overly complicated. The old layout was simple and to the point so yeah personally I'm not very fond of it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I really like the new look (though I think there really is too much white on the screen, there should be some grey side panels, or maybe the background color could be changed to an off-white/light grey).

I think some of the initial backlash will die down as people get used to the changes. It's a typical user experience reaction to dislike having to get accustomed to something new and different, when you were already accustomed to an older format.
Kamon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The new look is good, but too much white space. Especially the gigantic space between the title bar and the nav bar. I would lower padding a bit.

Bug report: My Anime 2 mixes both "Want to see" and "Will not finish" lists into the "Want to see" list after import.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to find where this "change layout" option is.

For the same reason many people left LiveJournal, I expect a large exodus from ANN as well. I'll likely be among them, since all of this white space, combined with the clutter of the main page and the "squishing" of the forums is giving me a headache.

I make it a point to never use websites that cause me physical pain.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, but simple things like changing the layout can, and has made people completely abandon a site. Especially weird when the changes were for no reason.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I was REALLY not a fan of the default look, but I found some options that are fine, maybe even a bit better than the old format. Those options are "List View with Images" combined with the Haibane Renmei skin.

One issue I see with the site now is that while some options are fairly clear, not all of them are obvious (for example, the "text width" under Account settings), and some of them work in weird ways. Maybe this has something to do with the way the site resizes itself or the fact that I don't have a widescreen monitor, but choosing the Just Blue skin doesn't even have an effect on the main page. I think the confusion over the new design and the features is adding to the annoyance for a lot of users.

Incidentally, I made a post on tumblr about the new options and some ways to configure them, which I think may help some users out. http://madscientist212.tumblr.com/post/68412853261/hate-the-new-ann
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely hate this layout. Apparently I don't have cookies enabled to participate in the survey even though I do.

http://puu.sh/5wj2y.png

Those buttons are how you change the layout. However, it is not very clear for anyone who may just be browsing.

I liked the old layout much more. Too many sites are going for this sort of Tumblr-y look.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Old layout good, new layout bad. Everything else that I would say has already been said.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Like the older version better. Having a hard time making my way around in some parts and not as fast as to load like the older one for me.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gamespot just had a long overdo site revision that I was really excited about, but ultimately, I just didn't like. And now ANN has done the same thing except I dislike it even more. At least with GS, I could come up with some positives, but I can't find any here.

The site no longer scales to 16:9 resulting in massive white space all around. I kind of assumed the new ANN would mean things like being able to easily insert links, better integration of releases with collections and the like, but nothing like that hasn't changed.
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Uhg!

This is awful.

Go back to what it was!
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I like the new layout in list view with images, but do not like the grid view at all. Overall, I would say that the list view with images is slightly better than the old version of ANN, as it has the same general functionality but with fairly large images that give you more sense of what the news stories are about before you click on them. However, the grid view is just hard to follow for me. Whenever I view ANNs front page, I'm going to start at the top and go back through any new content until I get to something I've seen before. Having the content both go down chronolocially and going across is just confusing to look at for some reason, and doesn't help me to see where the new content ends and the content I've seen before begins.
Soliia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I like being able to see the images for the stories, but the layout just feels cluttered, even in the list view. I'm also not a fan of all the white. But oh well, like all the other websites that have made big changes like this, I'll eventually get used to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11