• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Log Horizon Creator Holds Q&A on 4Chan's /a/ Board

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
unready wrote:
Comments and views on Crunchyroll are also important
So basically, all those people who say Crunchyroll doesn't help anyone are full of shit?

Any thinking person not immediately believing /a/ or aniblog culture nonsense already knew this.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
unready wrote:
So basically, all those people who say Crunchyroll doesn't help anyone are full of shit?

Any thinking person not immediately believing /a/ or aniblog culture nonsense already knew this.
Well, It's not like I didn't already know it. If the companies didn't believe it would benefit them they wouldn't let them license their anime in the first place.

Most of the negativity I've heard towards Crunchyroll are from those pretentious twits you see frequenting MAL. It's literally impossible to use logic against them because they've always got a whole bag of stupid and often completely irrelevant facts they can pull out of their ass.

I'm baffled as to how you can act as if you're better than everyone else when you use such flawed logic. They can afford to buy anime and manga in the west or at least get a CR membership but they don't want to because they claim it doesn't help. But at the same time they don't want to import from Japan either because it's too expensive. So they just continue to freeload and mock anyone who doesn't do the same.

The worst kind are the ones who think those eyecancer inducing illegal streams are the only way to watch anime. To them I say... no.
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Mm... I could see that affecting American companies on what they license for home video in America but when was the last time Crunchyroll views actually led to a second season of something in Japan? I never hear it helping those 'more Americans care about it than Japanese people do' shows like Panty and Stocking which always seem to be left with one cour.. I think he was just saying what legal opportunities Americans could do.. even if said legal opportunities contribute less than half a percent to anything happening. Importing is definitely the best option as he mentioned Laughing Fan letters tho.. that's a new one. Maybe a Change.org internet petition would help as well.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
His three favourite Fall 2013 anime are Kyousougiga, Kill la Kill and also Non Non Biyori. That's some pretty perfect taste right there.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I'm baffled as to how you can act as if you're better than everyone else when you use such flawed logic. They can afford to buy anime and manga in the west or at least get a CR membership but they don't want to because they claim it doesn't help. But at the same time they don't want to import from Japan either because it's too expensive. So they just continue to freeload and mock anyone who doesn't do the same.

The worst kind are the ones who think those eyecancer inducing illegal streams are the only way to watch anime. To them I say... no.

They just don't seem like the type that buy DVD and Blu-ray when they can have access to JP rips for free (or whatever their internet service costs). I can't tell you how irritated I was when I got my Rakkyo BD box (at that time the most expensive purchase I've ever made) and saw that within 24 hours there were rips online. The /a/ crowd tends to buy character goods and such. All those things you can't download.

edited: added a sentence sorry.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total
unready

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
unready wrote:

When I posted the quote, I found it interesting, not in comparison to what fanboys were saying, but because more serious, level-headed people consider US consumption of anime to be insignificant compared to Japan's.

Of course, Mamare is an author, not a studio exec or publisher (i.e., the people who really decide what gets made into a TV series or pressed into discs), but still interesting.

EDIT: remembered the noun ...

Last edited by unready on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

They just don't seem like the type that buy DVD and Blu-ray when they can have access to JP rips for free (or whatever their internet service costs). They tend to buy character goods and such. All those things you can't download.
I tend to find that they're mostly freeloaders. But instead of just coming right out and saying 'I don't want to pay for anime' they think they've got to justify it and bring out all these excuses. Although somehow I really doubt many of them actually care about whether or not CR and western releases put money in the creator's pockets.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ritsu, the folks you are thinking of have that "stick it to the man" mentality. Any way to stop N. American companies from ruining their animu with English dubbing ;p do you remember that Academia Kickstater Trigger did? The comments by the /a/ crowd were so nasty.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Holy Stereotyping Strawman Arguments, Batman!
I like how you can mock their blanket statement about CR, then turn right about and make sweeping generalizations yourself.

There are plenty of people that import merchandise from Japan, or that buy anime, but don't like CR, etc. You can't equate the opinions of thousands of people into one Grand Evil, just because it suits you.

#1: A lot of the CR hate stems from its origins in aggregating fansubs, then after getting popular, using that popularity to "go legit" and personally profit off the efforts of the userbase and the anime they didn't own. As well as paying a flat rate for episode subtitles, which results in sloppy work with not a lot of effort put into research/accuracy.

#2: Log Horizon is a special case because NHK is backing it. They're less concerned about raw sales, as public outreach -- overseas outreach being a big part of that. This is a large part of why LH was chosen IMHO: MMOs have a broad Western appeal that they can use as a cultural outreach. So CR numbers are a good metric for that.

In my personal case: I don't support CR due to their unsavory origins, as well as their current site being a ridiculous hive of ads. I've never seen a site use unclosable popup flash ads to USE THEIR FORUMS before... on top of the banner ad thats already there ... and more banners every 5 posts in threads.

And CR is token support of a few dollars total. That's nothing compared to importing goods.

I've imported all of the light novels, and my next manga order with Honto is going to include the West Wind Brigade side story manga volumes. I'm undecided on whether I want the Honeymoon Logs yet. And while I can't justify the $480 for the LH import BDs with my current job, I will totally buy the English BDs when they come out.

What have you done?
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Although somehow I really doubt many of them actually care about whether or not CR and western releases put money in the creator's pockets.

CR money is placebo. The amount you give them is a tiny fraction of what a single import BD earns the publisher. Your "support" is certainly less than zero, but not much more than that. Since LH is 2cour, you might provide up to $10. A single BD import nets over double that, conservatively speaking.

Quote:
do you remember that Academia Kickstater Trigger did? The comments by the /a/ crowd were so nasty.

There are always going to be trolls. Those same "nasty anons" were the ones that jumped on the Kickstarter and fully funded it before you were even awake that morning. As the Kickstarter went active at midnight, and was fully funded before 4am CST.

Anonymous is not a singular voice or entity.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

His three favourite Fall 2013 anime are Kyousougiga, Kill la Kill and also Non Non Biyori. That's some pretty perfect taste right there.

And

>>Does Krusty ever arouse you when you write about him? He arouses me when I read about in.
>>Krusty arouses everybody

That is so. The guy with the "Krusty" username chose that name because he liked that character (from the Simpsons).

unready wrote:
Zac wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
unready wrote:

When I posted the quote, I found it interesting, not in comparison to what fanboys were saying, but because more serious, level-headed people consider US consumption of anime to be insignificant compared to Japan's.

Of course, Mamare is an author, not a studio exec or publisher (i.e., the people who really decide what gets made into a TV series or pressed into discs), but still interesting.

The overseas feedback basically opens the eyes of the guys at the top who don't normally follow these things. It opens their eyes that there are more ways to monetize their intellectual property, than just the usual means within Japan. So they can make more money with the possibilities.

And if there's a big enough overseas support, they can have the overseas help fund the projects, like what happened around the early 00's boom when the likes of ADV and Funimation were pitching in seed money to be part of the production committee, more anime made such as Armitage III and Vampire Hunter D, as well as CN helping fund the 2nd season of Big O.

luffypirate85 wrote:

Ritsu, the folks you are thinking of have that "stick it to the man" mentality. Any way to stop N. American companies from ruining their animu with English dubbing ;p do you remember that Academia Kickstater Trigger did? The comments by the /a/ crowd were so nasty.

Meanwhile, the current Kickstarter for Santa Company put in English dubbing as a stretch goal already.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Although somehow I really doubt many of them actually care about whether or not CR and western releases put money in the creator's pockets.

CR money is placebo. The amount you give them is a tiny fraction of what a single import BD earns the publisher. Your "support" is certainly less than zero, but not much more than that. Since LH is 2cour, you might provide up to $10. A single BD import nets over double that, conservatively speaking.

Quote:
do you remember that Academia Kickstater Trigger did? The comments by the /a/ crowd were so nasty.

There are always going to be trolls. Those same "nasty anons" were the ones that jumped on the Kickstarter and fully funded it before you were even awake that morning. As the Kickstarter went active at midnight, and was fully funded before 4am CST.

Anonymous is not a singular voice or entity.

Actually I was awake for the entire process (launch until funded) I remember vividly because I was talking to my friend on the phone saying "who are these /a/ people to say that THEY are fully responsible for the project reaching its goal?" It was because of everyone that backed, not just the folks that post on the image board. You can't call "firsts!" on a cooperative effort like that ;p I was planning on backing as well but the comments from the /a/ backers to the backers suggesting an English dub stretch goal rubbed me wrong. If only they were as friendly as the bunch that helped fund the Time of EVE international release.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I was planning on backing as well but the comments from the /a/ backers to the backers suggesting an English dub stretch goal rubbed me wrong. If only they were as friendly as the bunch that helped fund the Time of EVE international release.

Wait. You didn't fund a project because you didn't like the people your post posits as not the only people to participate in the project? That sounds kind of silly to me. I pledged to the project because I loved the first LWA and believed in Trigger. I didn't even read the comments section.

Edit: But if I had I could hardly imagine it would have changed my mind anyway.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Yup sure did. Didn't want to be associated with that incredibly rude crowd and yes I understand that all the pledges don't think in the same negative way. If possible, check the comments on the Time of EVE Kickstarter. Not one negative comment directed towards the idea of an English dub. Patrons that I am glad to contribute my share alongside with Smile

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

Dont forget about Arpeggio of blue steel too the guy has excellent tatse indeed Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4