• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Those rabbits were really out of place, as were the transfer students. Can't anyone tell that one of the girls has cat ears? And what about the girl with a freaking dead wolf around her neck; does no-one question that? How does it get past uniform regulations? And if the heroine really is the daughter of the chairperson then why were the evil witches even allowed to transfer into the school in the first place?

I think that was the joke, that all of those girls had something super weird that should get attention (cat ears, wolf scarf + eyepatch, an actual katana visible, childish clothing, and a look that could kill).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I just don't think the humour is meshing properly with the drama, which makes the evil witches look incongruous. And the heroine doesn't walk around with her witch hat on all the time, so it is weird to have these other girls walk around with all that crap on.

Anyway, why do the girls even need to transfer into the school in the first place. If all they need to do is kill the boy then they can do that at home when the heroine isn't around. Why try and kill him in the one place where he has protection?
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a weakness for witches but this show being awesome is just an added bonus. ... er... maybe that ordering is messed up. LOL

Anyway, it's pretty refreshing to have the girls hate the guy for hanging out with Miss Popular.

I really liked the action bits and I'm really interested in where the story will go. That ending is funny too.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
It has the elements to be a decent and fun, if cliched, show but it was presented in such a flat, emotionless, unappealing fashion. The guy, the girl, the rival witch, all completely bare of personality. I'm kind of hoping that this is partially on purpose.... that the point is that they are unaware of their "true selves" or something and are therefore living a drab and dull existence that needs to be broken.

...but I worry that the truth is that it really is a drab and dull show with drab and dull characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like this one. Maybe I just have a thing for tall, chesty, phlegmatic chicks. There were some larfs.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
The animation is awesome.
Colors are really vivid and the characters look good.

Are you sure we saw the same anime?

The backgrounds were good with perfectly competently executed 3D effects, but these days that is nothing exceptional.

Go back and look at the scenes where the sycophantic girls are clustered around. They each loop the same 3-4 frames just opening and closing their mouths over and over again. Unconvincing and cheap. In the fight scenes they hide the lack of any meaningful motion with the fire effects.

The character designs are so forgettable that it is hard to find anything to say about them. Ayaka's freakish breast is just a big huge mono-blob that couldn't be mistaken for attractive even if you were into that sort of thing. The faces of all the characters are flat and generic. The moment I saw them I thought: meh. blah. Maybe the story will make up for it.

About that. As for the story -- well it isn't great but I suppose I'll stick around for one more episode just to see what the deal is. Sometimes these kinds of shows improve dramatically after a few episodes but I don't see a lot of hope here.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm with HaruhiToy. I only watched this like earlier this afternoon and there are no cuts of animation that really stuck in my head. And there was a lot of bad CG.

Add that to the story being a pretty generic otaku thing, I've decided I don't really have any more interest in this show.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Not the worst anime I've seen but at this point I don't think it's worth continuing. The MC is useless and the whole thing with the other students worshipping the female lead is just annoying. I might come back to it if I hear good things about how it progresses. There are better things for me to spend my time watching now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

So the witches are looking forspoiler[ 'white stuff]' from Takamiya-kun. Idk why but that sounds a bit wrong....lol.

I find that spoiler[Kagari is a bit too OP so far so I hope she meets someone that will match her in power soon in the future. The action was okay I guess, wasn't as good as I had hoped for though. Also, there's another character assumingly a witch that didn't make much screen time.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Kagari always takes things so literally.
She's just too stiff, too trained.
Takamiya, on the other hand, is too carefree around all that danger.
It was nice to see new characters.
Well, this anime doesn't lack action, that's for sure.
spoiler[Practically everywhere they go they get attacked.
Things are getting out of hand.
Takamiya's situation is pretty ridiculous.
The way things are going, he's never gonna have a normal life.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I bet it is the little sister in the box. She overheard his call with Kagari and was seen stalking them.

It looks like Kagari can spoiler[ absorb any damage done to Takamiya. She got the 2 bite marks on her neck.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ep2, ok, this series has a somewhat dark sense of humor and I am digging it.

spoiler[Ayaka's overzealousness to her bodyguard duty motivates her to attack the rival witches first without any need to bother in questioning there motivations (as it seems that between the witches it is obvious, and turned into a sex joke about "white stuff")]

While Ayaka isn't vocal, her actions certainly are more than enough to make up for her usually calm tone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Lol, she made the spoiler[first move and captured the enemy], which apparently involved tying them to poles while she spoiler[turns on the heat, witch burning style with one having a ball gag]. And I got a laugh out of the "spoiler[white stuff]" more than I should have, probably one tried to point out her mistake before just giving in.

I was kind of hoping we would have a more in depth look at those five's personalities. But I did rather like scenes like Ayaka showing signs of spoiler[anger of being around the maid], her spoiler[mother getting angry at her the destruction] (up till now she could have been a robot), and her excitedly spoiler[taking pictures of him in the witch outfit]. I noticed her mother's face was on the wanted poster as "danger". And guessing the person trailing them the entire episode was spoiler[his sister].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I gotta tell you, I am massively enjoying this show. This humour is right on my wavelength and I like the character designs a ton. Happily, the MC isn't irritating me and how often does that happen?

As for Ayaka's yummy mummy, I can only say this: the chest apples clearly didn't fall far from the chest tree.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
"... can I burn that? It's not shutting up."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9