• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Princess and the Pilot, and now I want to.

This show seems pretty interesting. I'm usually pretty captivated by 'folly of war' stories, and the spoiler[narrator warning at the end of the episode seems to indicate that things won't be so nice for long.]

I like the relationship between the sister and brother (who may be not quite, it seems like there's more to it than that).

Claire is pretty annoying, though. It bugs me that so many people really get a rise out of women who behave like that. I've seen it in real life, too, and I don't like it there either. On the other hand, her line of "Thank you for holding me so tightly." may indicate that she has a bit more of an internal engine than it might have seemed initially. That could be wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope it isn't.

And holy shit those planes. I guess at this point I should just resign to defeat and accept the fact that it's 2014, not 1995 anymore, and that means that with the way things are done in animation these days the planes are Just Going to be CG, and they're Just Going to look BAD.

It may seem like I said a lot of negative things about the show, but the setting looks interesting, enough to justify me watching it, and the story seems cool too (both are only for now of course, depending on what it does). This looks to be one that (if it turns out good) I'll like despite having a lot of elements I don't like.

Last edited by Galap on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
It bugs me that so many people really get a rise out of women who behave like that. I've seen it in real life, too, and I don't like it there either.

For the record there's lots of traits I love in fictional characters that are a total pain irl. I've posted here before about an ex of mine who was an unstoppable super-impulsive force of nature. I love that type of girl in anime but irl it leads to legal troubles, bad reputations and lots of physical damage. You spend most of your time making sure that guy she randomly mouthed off to didn't have a death's head on his jacket. It's not fun. But I'll admit Haruhi-sama or Ichinose Hajime are a riot to watch most of the time.

Regarding Claire, I could see it being one of these cases. Good in fiction but really troublesome irl. In anime her shy muddled behaviour which melted away really quickly is like approaching and befriending a cute animal. In real life I'd feel kind of sad for the person, then be ultra suspicious of them when they warmed up to me enough for such close contact so quickly. I'd actually be checking to make sure I still had my valuables before seeing her away.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Claire is pretty annoying, though. It bugs me that so many people really get a rise out of women who behave like that. I've seen it in real life, too, and I don't like it there either.

Wait you know woman who scurries around and hides behind a tree when a stranger approaches them? I have seen that behavior in little kids, but woman? lol.

Anyway regarding her shy to rather friendly behavior might be because she actually knew him beforehand. Maybe a crush on the former prince.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Some of my thoughts after watching the 1st episode...

The initial scene looks like something that will take place sometime in the future. And, based on what Superman says, after some folks he cared about have died. BTW, has anyone noticed that Kal-el's sister is Ari-el? The El family is strong in this one!

I enjoyed the banter between Kal and Ari. They actually seemed like real siblings. I suspect, however, based on various comments made, that while they (apparently) share a father, they *do not* share the same mother. I'm not certain of that, but I'm pretty sure of it.

Claire can just go die in a fire. I loathe women like her. And what the heck is she doing in the military if she's such a shrinking violet? It makes no sense. Please, God, don't let her be a main character. Let her death be fodder for angst. I'd *much* rather watch an angsty teen than... that.

Right now, this show is on the bubble for me. I do like shows about adventuring out into the unknown, but this "romance" angle is a serious weight around the show's neck, for me anyway.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I enjoyed the banter between Kal and Ari. They actually seemed like real siblings. I suspect, however, based on various comments made, that while they (apparently) share a father, they *do not* share the same mother. I'm not certain of that, but I'm pretty sure of it.

I don't think he is related by blood to any of them. Synopsis says he is a prince and that family looks like a commoners family.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Really? Wow. That explains a lot that I didn't know watching the episode. I hope why he has such a hate on for nobility isn't one of the big mysteries of the show, and the synopsis nearly blows it. I forget what it was but there was some anime fairly recently that included info that turned out to be the major driving mystery for the first half of the show.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I don't think he is related by blood to any of them. Synopsis says he is a prince and that family looks like a commoners family.

My guess is that his mom (probably a princess or higher) had a relationship with a commoner (his dad) and he was the result. He clearly spent some amount of time in his mother's orbit, but for whatever reason ended up banished/forced out to his father's orbit. That is PURE SPECULATION on my part. Of course, it's certainly possible that you're right in that he isn't blood related to any of them.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

My guess is that his mom (probably a princess or higher) had a relationship with a commoner (his dad) and he was the result. He clearly spent some amount of time in his mother's orbit, but for whatever reason ended up banished/forced out to his father's orbit. That is PURE SPECULATION on my part. Of course, it's certainly possible that you're right in that he isn't blood related to any of them.

That is highly possible. I mean it would be weird and random for a former prince to join a family he has no blood relations with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
My reasoning why I thought he was adopted was that he had no similar traits to any of the others in the family, I quickly identified how different he looked. The fact he was reserved in doing an intimate goodbye could show that he was not originally his father and may still be unsure to what level he can treat him like one. And the fights with Ariel showed that his standing her is not quite defined, instead his connection was formed some time later and their banter of who is in superior standing is part of their affection that actually shows them on the same level.

And about being suspicious of her being so shy and then being more forward, I had a flashback to Yozora and Sena accusing such a girl must be a b!tch and treating the game character like trash. Chances are that she has not been around men very much so she was initially scared about being face to face to one all of a sudden, later seeing that he was a gentleman and shifted her gears.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode one played things pretty close to the vest, but I get the feeling this could be the best or worst show of winter 2014, depending on where the focus goes. As a drama, it absolutely has my interest. As an airplane action show, it looks very cheaply done.

On a side note, please don't tell me those massive things in the intro were being suspended by those puny ships/propellers....
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
I saw the ep a 2nd time with a friend and wow the intro says a lot in hindsight. I'm a freakin' moron sometimes. spoiler[Kid Kal standing with a blonde woman inside a castle courtyard with both of them scuffed up. Then, later, at the scene where the hot chick with the staff and him are kids he also looks beaten up a little. Also the dream he's having at the very start has the blonde woman (presumably biological mother) in prison (maybe those weren't castle walls in the first scene).]

Bugnin wrote:
please don't tell me those massive things in the intro were being suspended by those puny ships/propellers....

Without knowing the basis for their technology we can't really say what it's capable of. We know there's floating landmasses so until we see the inevitable greasemonkey character crack open one of those engines we can only guess what they're capable of.

I was in a tabletop RPG once where there were floating islands that would go around the planet based on wind currents. One of the guys who had an engineer and my character who was a war lord worked together to build machines that let us control what direction they floated so we could raid a country I couldn't conquer on land. We also made smaller battleships by breaking off chunks of the floating islands and building ships around them. The 2nd viewing of this ep reminded me of that when the grand journey was starting.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
I liked The Princess and the Pilot, that was a good movie. This show however is pretty lame.

The plane and mechanical design was appalling, as is the way the planes were used:

----------

1): Engines were too small to be useful

2): No way the planes could ever take off vertically with such tiny propellers

3): The wings were too short to allow proper combat maneuvers; dogfighting would be impossible

4): The planes took off in water despite there being no reason to; if they're VTOL then they can take off on dry land

5): The engines were partly submerged when they took off which is about as big a sin as you can make in aquatic/amphibious aircraft design

6): The two crew members are able to speak normally with one another despite the wind rushing past

7): The sister is in a useless position with no protection from the wind

8): Planes are able to rotate their engines quickly while at high speed, which is impossible for even the Osprey

----------

9): Ship was somehow flying despite no apparent lifting mechanism - not even a magical one

10): Ship was being propelled forwards by propellers turning too slowly to work

11): Ship's design made the classic mistake of putting all of the big guns on top like a wet-navy ship would do

----------

12): Flying island's propellers were turning too slowly

13): Even if the flying island's propellers were turning fast they couldn't move even a thousandth the mass of the island

14): Flying island wouldn't have any rivers, lakes or ponds; the water would drain right out of the bottom

----------

Individually they are nitpicks. Collectively they show that the writers and designers know nothing about aircraft and are just blowing smoke out their collective arses. And since mechanical design is pretty much the main drawcard for the show - the obnoxious characters and the generic scenery aren't going to win any awards - the show is in real trouble. The entire episode was a chore, with not one thing that I found interesting, exciting or impressive. I will give it another two episodes but the show will need to shape up fast.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42

My view for all those points: because magic.

No other explanation would possibly work. Even if you had anti-grav units on everything, the island would still present a BIG PROBLEM due to the torsional forces and other forces involved, and its maneuverability would be... non-existent (the inertia alone produced by something so massive would be enormous).

So, from any sort of engineering perspective, the show wouldn't work. Therefore, because magic. "Hydrogen fuel cells" (or whatever they were calling it) wouldn't begin to offset that. It would make the planes *slightly* more feasible, but design-wise they're still absurd, as is using a whole squadron of trainees as any sort of fighting or protecting force. Militarily, that would be very foolish.

Generally speaking, this show looks like it's going to require an extra helping of Suspension of Disbelief.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
^
Or... quantum physics.
Yeah I played Bioshock Infinite, and I did watch an online video that said a good deal of a floating city could theoretically be possible, as long as it does not bounce and or other things that may cause motion sickness.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
^
Or... quantum physics.
Yeah I played Bioshock Infinite, and I did watch an online video that said a good deal of a floating city could theoretically be possible, as long as it does not bounce and or other things that may cause motion sickness.

It would depend on how you applied quantum physics. And it *does not* seem as if they have knowledge of something like that, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing prop planes, but jets or something even more advanced. Also, the buildings in Bioshock Infinite were largely stationary. Remember that this island is going to be travelling with the ah... fleet.

It *seems* that they have a WWII-era tech-level overall. But are more advanced in a couple of areas. I haven't seen any direct evidence of them having really advanced tech (and by direct, I mean an explanation of how they are able to make things fly when they shouldn't be able to move, like that battleship, let alone the whole island). Even the planes, as dtm42 noted, shouldn't work the way they do based on our RL understanding of aeronautics, engineering, and physics. But the planes are by far the easiest to ignore, the battleship is pretty tough, and the island is... very hard for me to accept -- I have to actively tell my brain to shut up every time I see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12