• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls und Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
I thought about watching Eureka 7: AO, but it just sounded like they did the Prince of Darkness number on it. If I do watch it, it will be for the visuals, but I will be cringing inside about the story.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
I remembered crying in the end of Eureka Seven:AO.....but just because it involved Eureka and Renton.

I might have to rewatch the ending.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
certainly have questions. For instance, if the girls had to rappel down a cliff in order to find a lost tank wedged in a hole in the side of a mountain, how did it get there? When they blow a hole into the side of a building during a match, who has to pay for repairs, the school or the government? Does the government even have that kind of money for a sporting event that seemingly only has a dozen or so observers in the stands for each match?

I think the tournament organizer or the government pays for all the damage. They got big sponsors and TV deals. I remember one guy wanted them to blow up his store, so he can get a new one.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven Ao's first two episodes had alot of promise but man it was a disappointment. It failed both as a continuation and as a stand-alone work.

When the best moments of your story is the characters from Eureka Seven appearing then your show has a problem.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First of all, no one jumps straight to Nationals with just one practice match under their belt in any sport, be it baseball, basketball, or tankery.

Amusing assumption. How many city ships are out there, how many have tank clubs and how many have WWII tanks which is the actual requirement? Probably the only requirement?

Several well funded schools rule the National ranking while the occasional upstart can make some headway but never win it. Hey, why is that so familiar? Yeah, it's why I hate spectator sports in general.

Quote:
Gone are the episodes where the girls learn how to understand the strengths and weaknesses of their tanks, gone are the episodes of the girls tirelessly working on their aim, and gone are the critical scenes where main character Miho finds and embraces her style of sensha-do. Instead, these are replaced with short montages and throwaway dialogue, or in the latter case, the assumption that Miho is basically just some kind of strategy and risk-taking wunderkind.

So episodes of girls sitting in a tank firing at a unmoving target time and again is something that would have made for exciting episodes? More mock battles where Team A would again beat the stuffing out their teammates? Even in the training montage, Team A were the only ones to hit their target.

The Miho style of tankery is built around "strategic retreat" rather than relentless attack based on numbers or power or whatever Pravda had {Borscht?}. Her "climatic scenes" amount to getting out from under her sister's shadow and her mother's grasp; The second still hasn't been full explored yet but there's always the world championship, right? There's also the thing about "no man left behind" but if you want to label is as "friendship(!)", you're missing the point.

Her command skills are unquestionable as even Kuromine's Erika acknowledged that Miho outranked her when they were on the same team. Her confidence? Well, that was shot but was slowly rebuilt over the series. If you watched the show, you couldn't have missed it. "Believing in yourself(!)"... no, it's more about others believing in you. Hey, Kamina, what's it that you said? "Don't believe in you, don't believe in the me that believes in you, believe in yourself that believes in you"? No, no, the one before that that made sense.

But you watched it. Didn't really care for it despite finding it entertaining, missed the point of the series completely by complaining about needless things being needlessly left out but it is progress.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Eureka Seven Ao's first two episodes had alot of promise but man it was a disappointment.

It's pretty clear by the dropped and redirected plot-threads that the show was dramatically re-written in production and at short notice.

Here. Elena Peoples. She makes quotes and references that noone in-setting recognise but we do: they come from various anime that were actually made in the really-real/our world.

And later we see japan and we realise that the country wasn't in a cultural position to make, say, Madoka Magica: the reason noone recognises Elena's references is because they don't exist. And Elena claims to come from a different time-line, doesn't she? So the time-line shifting's already hinted at before it's actually shown explicitly on-screen.... except, no, she's just a crazy woman.

So there's a lot of thought that went in to setting up a pretty "aha! it was really like that all along!!" plot event that just goes completely to waste.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
well personally AO would definitely be on the shelf worthy list as well as girls and panzer.

AO is borderline perishable for Eureka Seven fans. Very well-animated but the writing and directing is shit, and it ruins the franchise. It's best to just think "Eureka and Renton had kids and lived happily ever after."
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
that's for those fickle people that wanted more of the previous two when this series is more about their son. kinda the same way people was complaining about blood - C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I thought about watching Eureka 7: AO, but it just sounded like they did the Prince of Darkness number on it. If I do watch it, it will be for the visuals, but I will be cringing inside about the story.

It's worse than PoD.

PoD at least has The Blank of Three Years and The Mission games to help in the understanding of the mood swing from the TV series.

AO, however, doesn't.
Plus the writing was pretty damn terrible which is pretty funny as I thought the writing in E7 was pretty decent.

spoiler[ Let's say there's something the equivalent of a RETCON GUN. ]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
My New Years Resolution is always to never make New Years resolutions. That way I always achieve my target. Laughing

How did that German tank end up in a Japanese valley? Why it fell out of the back a German tank carrier flying the back way on a sneak attack of LA, of course. Laughing I don't think the Germans sold any to the Japanese during the War, so the whole concept of Girls Und Panzer is as preposterous as the tank carrier flight to LA, therefore a non-starter at the gate. Laughing

There some fans that actually believe anime is nothing but Dragon Ball (enter suffix here). Sad but true. My daughter is good friends with one of them.

"Ao Moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Ao Moon
You know just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked to the Moon it turned to gold

Ao Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own"

Eureka Fitzgerald
Wink
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that's for those fickle people that wanted more of the previous two when this series is more about their son. kinda the same way people was complaining about blood - C

A good sequel is expected to:

1. Be at least close to being as good as the original, if not better (nope).

2. Build off the original by leveraging the characters and world the fans grew to live (NOPE).

3. Not actively destroy what made the original great (NOOOOPE).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Her command skills are unquestionable

I would actually disagree with this. Her command skills are "ok", but she wins LARGELY on the bad decisions of her opponents. Considering that the battles have the odd goal of "just disable the command tank, nothing else matters" (presumably to "level the playing field), every team (possibly excepting the Brits who flat out defeat our heroes) makes at least one MAJOR tactical blunder.
-The Americans use bad intel (not the blunder) and in the end hold back forces in order to have a "fair fight".
-The Russians flat out STOP and allow their opponents to BOTH repair AND fortify their position. (if they'd gone with a "relentless attack" they'd have won)
-The Germans make the IDIOT choice of striding boldly into the trap laid bare (possibly relentless, but NOT using their OVERWHELMING numbers). Granted, it was clever to lock the command tanks into a separate 1-on-1 battle, but it was DUMB to actually accept that battle and have a tank "duel" with command tanks.

I also have to agree that the loss of "building" episodes damage the believeability of at LEAST the final battle. EVEN if you accept that the German team is highly aggressive and unwilling to even pause for tactical advantage, you've GOT to admit that it's ridiculous that a team fielding an ENTIRELY rookie crew (even if you want to grant that the commander is highly skilled and experienced) is able to outdrive AND outgun the HIGHLY experienced championship team lead tank under pressure?!? You're basically saying the entire crew of the Oarai lead tank are either once in a generation prodigies (to ramp up their skills (from zero to expert) THAT quickly) OR they're the luckiest team to see the field in decades, or probably BOTH.

(I mean, at MINIMUM, they could've used the fact that they gave the team an instructor/advisor (who pretty much disappears after the beginning))
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Girls Und Panzer follows Sports Manga/Anime rules than it does any other convention, as such what does occur is sometimes over the top and certainly unrealistic in regards to many of the results.

That said, if we follow the show with the understanding that this is just a Sports anime that features tank commanding as the sport, it isn't a bad show by any extent, but just as well it might not work for some viewers if they didn't care for the nature on how sports anime unfold.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

-The Germans make the IDIOT choice of striding boldly into the trap laid bare (possibly relentless, but NOT using their OVERWHELMING numbers). Granted, it was clever to lock the command tanks into a separate 1-on-1 battle, but it was DUMB to actually accept that battle and have a tank "duel" with command tanks.

Maho would never have done that if it were anyone other than Miho she was facing.

Both sisters wanted that battle, it was going to happen regardless.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong-san

I am sorry to see that you feel your slangy relaxed and "cool' approach to reviewing is what we the readers and appreciators of Anime might enjoy. Frankly I find your manner and your style crude, immature and quite shallow. For my main focus your review of the outstanding series Girls und Panzer was as far off the mark as is almost possible.

The series is superb in almost every way, being a jewel of anime development style, art and story. The Characters, ALL of them are well done and balanced with the focus and scale of the project. They did a strong single season and did it well. There was not time for an in depth development of the main characters but we get enough of each of them to love them all. The show is unique almost in that it in fact develops ALL of the characters to a degree if you watch it carefully and gives them life and strength to stand as a group.

The focus of the story is NOT the tanks they are the least important part of it, it is the team work and the group effort and the love of their school that is the real story. It teaches much about character, and life and friendship which is the goal of much of Japanese School life and of much of anime. As a westerner and a Gaijin you show your bias and your lack of understanding which comes out in your approach and the casual and demaning way you dismiss much of what is really good about this show.

The art style and the characters are crisp, artistic and well done, they use the latest of anime style but dont push it, and don't make the mistake of trying to make "art" into faddish far outness. The setting is Ourai yes but it is much more, it focuses on the heritage of WWII for Japan which is very strong still and nothing for them to ashamed of, and the expert who advised them on the tanks also did the background for another very well known series featuring WWII military ships and planes.

The use of the various nations as background for the school ships was very clever and well done, never going too far in the parody and was a fun part of the show.

Overall I consider it a classic and the Japanese audience thinks so too, which is the primary audience and standard for anime. I am glad westerners enjoy anime as much as they do but many of them including you could learn a lot more about how to appreciate what is good and what is great about anime in depth, scale and in value.

I hope in time you will take the time to watch the series again several times and I hope that your appreciation will deepen. Mine does each time I watch the series and I have watched it now about 6 times and plan to do so again soon. A movie will come out soon to help extend the series and I hope for another season.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5