• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports Weak Wii U Sales, Cuts Projections by 2/3rds

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the main draw are Nintendo tittles. I don't like Nintendo titles. It's a shame Bayo 2 is on the system. Would much perter to play it on the 360 like I did the original. X may be a system seller, but I'm not sure if it is a full blown single player game like Xenoblade or a co-op Monster Hunter inspired title.

There's three games on the WiiU that interests me. Two of them aren't out yet. Thats not enough to sell me on a system who's future looks pretty bleak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm not sure why I would chose it over any other system out there

No other system has Nintendo games on it. If someone wants to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc, you buy a Nintendo console. Plus they get the occasional cool third-party exclusive like the Operation Rainfall trilogy on Wii and now X/Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, but thats just a side bonus. Main draw is Nintendo titles

And, let's face it, exclusives are what should decide someone's purchasing decision. 3rd parties are supposed to be filler, not the main attraction. Heck, a Nintendo system with decent 3rd party support would basically render any competition obsolete.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
With growing PC gaming, the so-called "hardcore gamer" market will be a 3-way fight between Sony, Microsoft, and Valve. As the premier mobile gaming company (3DS), Nintendo could have an interesting, paradigm-changing impact on smartphone. Personally, I think as long as they make and license good games for their consoles (especially multiplayer games), everything will turn out okay. Personally, I'd like it if I could easily play a handheld on a TV if I wanted to.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
But third parties are what have been deciding people's consoles.

People buy 360s sure for things like Halo. They also buy them for CoD, Grand Theft Atuo, ect.

People buy PS3s for Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, ect.

People bought PS2s for GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid. Exclusives from third parties.

People will buy Xbones and PS4's for most likely third party games as well. Third party games that will not be on the Wii U. Third Parties have been the one's pushing Playsations and Xboxs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth would you use multiplatform games as a positive for a system? A game is not a selling point for a system if I can just buy the rival system and play it on that. I hate it when companies use stuff like CoD or GTA to sell their system at E3. Why is GTA5 a selling point for Xbox when it's also on the PS3 and I can buy it for that instead?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
With growing PC gaming, the so-called "hardcore gamer" market will be a 3-way fight between Sony, Microsoft, and Valve. As the premier mobile gaming company (3DS), Nintendo could have an interesting, paradigm-changing impact on smartphone. Personally, I think as long as they make and license good games for their consoles (especially multiplayer games), everything will turn out okay. Personally, I'd like it if I could easily play a handheld on a TV if I wanted to.

That is kind of the thing though, the "hardcore" audience has never actually grown all that much, at least not enough to be reliable. If all they're doing is trying to cannibalize from the consumer base of their competitors then this is how to properly describe that: "you're doing it wrong!"

Seriously, that's not a good scenario to be in. Companies should try to expand the gaming audience in general, not fight over each other's customers. An industry that doesn't try to grow is doomed to failure. It's why the American comics industry imploded.

Lavnovice9 wrote:
Why on earth would you use multiplatform games as a positive for a system? A game is not a selling point for a system if I can just buy the rival system and play it on that. I hate it when companies use stuff like CoD or GTA to sell their system at E3. Why is GTA5 a selling point for Xbox when it's also on the PS3 and I can buy it for that instead?

They are a positive, but they should never be the main draw. Otherwise you might as well just get a PC
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Branching into smartphones is a fool's game for Nintendo. That market is Samsung & Apple pounding it out. They will never notice Nintendo.

Might as well lock the doors and send everyone home. Crying or Very sad

Mark Gosdin

Funny how you say that because it looks like SEGA has plans for the Smartphone market themselves:

http://trademarks.justia.com/791/38/s-sega-79138417.html

Excerpts taken from NEWLY Internationally Registered domain from SEGA:

[/i]Class 9:
Game programs for home video game machines; electronic circuits, magnetic tapes and disks, optical disks, ROM cartridges and other recording media, namely, cartridges and cassettes all containing video game programs for use with home video game machines; electronic circuits, magnetic tapes and disks, optical disks, ROM cartridges and other recording media, namely, cartridges and cassettes all containing video game programs for use with hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; game software for home video game machines; telecommunication machines and apparatus, namely, transmitters; straps for mobile phones; computers; computer game programs; electronic circuits, magnetic tapes and disks, optical disks, ROM cartridges containing computer game programs; computer game software; other electronic machines, apparatus and their parts; game programs for mobile phones; computer game software; game programs for arcade video game machines; electronic circuits, magnetic tapes and disks, optical disks, ROM cartridges and other recording media, namely, cartridges and cassettes all containing video game programs for use with arcade video game machines; game software for arcade video game machines; phonograph records featuring music; downloadable music files; recorded compact discs featuring music; downloadable image files containing artwork, text, audio, video, games and internet web links relating to sporting and cultural activities; downloadable images and moving images for mobile phones containing artwork, text, audio, video, games and internet web links relating to sporting and cultural activities; recorded video discs and video tapes featuring movies; electronic publications, namely, books, manuals, and newsletters in the field of video games

Class 28:
Amusement machines and apparatus, namely, coin-operated games for use in amusement parks; fairground ride apparatus; arcade video game machines; parts and accessories ofarcade video game machines, namely, coin-operated mechanisms; arcade medal redemption game machines; home video game machines; hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; wind-up toys; dolls; stuffed toys; action figures; trading card games; cards for use with games including arcade games; go games; Japanese playing cards, namely, utagaruta; Japanese chess, namely, shogi games; dice; Japanese dice games, namely, sugoroku; dice cups; chinese checkers; chess games; checkers, checker sets; dominoes; playing cards; Japanese playing cards, namely, hanafuda; mah-jong; game machines and apparatus, namely, coin-operated games; billiard equipment; darts equipment; digital darts equipment; amusement machines, namely, slot machines; sports equipment, namely, soccer balls

Class 35:
Advertising; advertising by e-mail delivery; advertising by using computer networks; organization, management or arrangement of events for promoting game goods; promoting the goods and services of others through the issuance of trading stamps; management and settlement of points rewarded for sales promotion via Internet; issuance, administration and settling of trading coupons or points rewarded for promotion of products and services; providing information in relation to issuance, administration and settling of trading coupons or points rewarded for promotion of products and services; business management analysis, business consultancy; marketing research; providing information concerning commercial sales; providing information in relation to promotion of products and services; customer management by network system; management of customer information, and providing information thereof; business management of hotels; business management for operation of amusement facilities; providing information in relation to business management for operation of amusement facilities; inventory management of goods; sales management of the goods; providing information for inventory management of goods; auctioning; organization, management, and arrangement of auctioning on the internet; document reproduction; typing services rendered through computers, typewriters, telex machines and other similar office machines; publicity material rental

Class 38:
Transmission and switching of text, sound and image by using telecommunication via the computer terminal; communications by arcade video game machines, and providing information thereof; communications by home video game machines, and providing information thereof; telecommunication data transfer services other than broadcasting; mobile telephone communication; telecommunication services, namely, electronic bulletin board services; communications by electronic mail; providing information in relation to data communication; communications by telegrams; wireless broadcasting; providing information in relation to television broadcasting; providing information in relation to wireless broadcasting; news agencies, namely, the transmission of news items to news reporting organizations; rental of telecommunication equipment including telephones and facsimile apparatus

Class 41:
providing non-downloadable electronic publications, namely, books in the field of video games; services of reference libraries for literature and documentary records; book rental; providing on-line electronic publications via Internet or database including websites; planning or arrangement of showing movies, live show performances, plays or musical performances; providing information regarding planning or arrangement of showing movies, live show performances, plays or musical performances; movie showing, movie film production, or movie film distribution; providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable on-line images, movies, moving images and graphics all in the field of video games; providing information relating to providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable on-line images, movies, moving images and graphics all in the field of video games; providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable on-line images, movies, moving images and graphics all in the field of video games accessible by computer terminals or mobile phones; providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable on-line images, movies, moving images and graphics all in the field of video games accessible by home video game machines or arcade game machines; providing information relating to providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable on-line images, movies, moving images and graphics all in the field of video games accessible by computer terminals or mobile phones; providing entertainment in the form of non-downloadable images relating to fictional characters from books, animation, toys and games; presentation of live show performances; direction or presentation of plays; presentation of musical performance; presentation of live show performances, plays and musical performances provided on-line; providing information relating to presentation of live show performances, plays and music provided on-line; providing on-line live show performances, plays and music by computer terminals or mobile phones; providing information relating to providing on-line live show performances, plays and music by computer terminals or mobile phones; organization, management or arrangement of game tournaments; organization, management or arrangement of entertainment in the nature of amusement park rides excluding movies, live show performances, plays, musical performances, sports, horse races, bicycle races, boat races and autoraces; providing amusement facilities; providing amusement arcade services; providing information relating to amusement facilities; providing amusement parks; providing information relating to providing amusement parks; providing on-line games; providing information relating to providing on-line games; providing on-line games by computer terminals or mobile phones; providing information relating to providing on-line games by computer terminals or mobile phones; providing information relating to scores of on-line game users; rental of toys; rental of amusement machines and apparatus; rental of arcade video game machines; rental of game machines and apparatus; providing Internet-based information about musical artists; providing non-downloadable electronic publications, namely, newsletters relating to maps

Class 42:
Providing meteorological information; design of machines, apparatus, instruments, parts and fittings thereof in the field of video games; graphic design; design, development and maintenance of computer program; design, development and maintenance of computer software; design, development and maintenance of web sites; development and maintenance of social networking web sites;design, development and maintenance of game programs for arcade medal redemption; game machines and home video game machines; providing search engines for the Internet; providing speech-based Internet search engines for the Internet; providing information relating to providing search engines for the Internet; providing search engines for the Internet by using telecommunication via the computer terminal; technical advice relating to performance and operation of computers, automobiles, and arcade game machines; rental of computers; providing computer programs on a rental basis; rental of storage space on a server used for speech-based social networking among users on the Internet; rental of storage space on a server used for social networking among users on the Internet and providing the information thereof; rental of storage space on a server used for social networking among users on the Internet; rental of storage space on a server used for social networking

As for you statement about the Mobile Phone market, I'd call it naive and poorly researched. The market is still young and niche especially in regards to gaming. Nintendo would be just fine in it as long as R&D,planning and proper marketing is implemented just like SEGA/SEC will have no problem in it.

Last edited by GrilledEelHamatsu on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:

Sour grapes. Valve doesn't have enough resources to turn Steambox in to a viable console. Sony is cratering on Chapter 9 and has amassed large debt and massive EBT. The successful release of PS4 will barely make a dent in the companies' poor financial outlook according to shareholders, blame that on losing $30 billion dollars worth of capital in a 10 year period($10 billion loss on PS3, dismal TV sales, Unimpressive returns for Sony Pictures/Columbia and poor electronic core market sales) If the rest of the company can't turn things around, PS4(which is funded through Expenditures) will be dead in a short time.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/snejf/s?t=SNEJF

I love how people continue to ignore Sega. And all of the paperwork they've filed the past couple of years, the capital, Equity and Cash Flow they've gained or the fact that they are in the healthiest financial shape they've been in since 1994.

Once SEGA talks about their new company division "SEC", maybe they'll stopped being overlooked.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

No other system has Nintendo games on it. If someone wants to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc, you buy a Nintendo console. Plus they get the occasional cool third-party exclusive like the Operation Rainfall trilogy on Wii and now X/Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, but thats just a side bonus. Main draw is Nintendo titles

And, let's face it, exclusives are what should decide someone's purchasing decision. 3rd parties are supposed to be filler, not the main attraction. Heck, a Nintendo system with decent 3rd party support would basically render any competition obsolete.

Except those days have been long over. None of the major console makers are even trying anymore.

You know why it was so common back then? It's called "Licensing". Consoles games aren't licensed anymore.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

This right here. Let's not forget that three of the biggest games of 2013 were Nintendo titles, and two of them came out one-after-another.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon X and Y... these games were big. Big. I'll concede that just three games isn't enough to support a console two years in--this cannot be understated. but when was the last time the X-Box or the PS had three big exclusives come out in one year, practically shoulder-to-shoulder?

What's more, these games have longevity, without online multiplayer. GTAV would have been forgotten by now without GTA Online; Fire Emblem: Awakening is still sought-after, if people aren't clamoring for the latest Zelda or Pokémon.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
GTAV would be froggeten by now without online. Please don't embarsses yourself with stupid comments. Most of the games talk is about the single player. It's one of the biggest and best games of 2013.

And why the desire to downplay online play as some bad thing? Nintendo could stand to understand online and not be god awful at it.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And why the desire to downplay online play as some bad thing?

Online servers only stay up so long. If you like the idea of the games you bought being useless in 10-20 years then okay, but I can still play Mario 3 for NES just fine, co-op and all. And it depends on the game. Why buy an older shooter game in the series when there's a newer one out? If its not for single player which is often never talked about, then its for the multiplayer. Everyone will be playing the newest installment of CoD so you have to get that one, making the older games useless.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Companies should try to expand the gaming audience in general, not fight over each other's customers. An industry that doesn't try to grow is doomed to failure. It's why the American comics industry imploded.

I am not so sure about that. Dumbing things down for a wider audience usually turns things into garbage. You cite the American comic industry, but I would cite the American cartoon industry. That industry had ruined itself by aiming for as many people as possible so it has to be as unoffensive and safe as possible, targeting as many viewers as it can. The shows might make profit but it is creatively dead so you will never see risky, unconventional shows like anime does.

I like the Tales series. It only sells 300-800K copies and while games which sell 10+ million make more money, like CoD or Battlefield, I'd still play Tales over those because I like them more. Catering to a core, dedicated audience is not bad, the problem with American comics is genre-limitation (superheroes) and continuity problems (they never end). Anime does a similar cater-to-a-small-dedicated-audience thing and it gets by just fine because it alleviates both those problems. A lot of games in Japan only sell less than 50K copies, like visual novels and otaku focused games on the PSP/Vita, but that is enough for them to make a profit and do sequels because they know their potential audience and expected sales so they plan and budget accordingly. On the other hand Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider sold millions but are considered financial failures because they spent so much money developing and trying to market them to the wider audience and not enough people bought them. Sometimes a core, dedicated audience is the best bet as otaku games and anime have shown us. Wider audiences are fickle and unreliable, but dedicated nerds are a sure fire bet and will always shell out money for something with a name brand on it.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And why the desire to downplay online play as some bad thing? Nintendo could stand to understand online and not be god awful at it.

But that's the thing: so many people INSIST that Nintendo games are held back by a lack of online content. How? Why? No matter how much an industry may change, we've had plenty of games that don't have online content that are just as great today as they were in the Bush Sr. administration. Again: Fire Emblem Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2: the most "online content" they have is DLC.

Besides, Japanese mentality is predisposed against online gaming. They'd much rather get together and play Monster Hunter in the same room. Think of it as Nintendo thinking of an over-all meta-game that still involves face-to-face socialization. Bopping your friend on the shoulder while your friend sits next to you during a River City Ransom playthrough isn't the same as talking to him over a microphone. When Street-passing works, it works.

When it comes to online, it feels like people are blaming Nintendo's round peg for not fitting into their neighbor's square hole.
sayan12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised by this at all. Anybody saw this coming, but I believe Nintendo will come back.

I'm curious to see what will happen in Spring 2014 with the release of Mario Kart 8. As of this post Mario Kart Wii has sold 34.26 million ranking it 4th of all time best selling games. Of course MK8 won't pull this off but I have an inkling that a lot of Wii U's will be sold.
se37

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is not surprise to me that the Wii U is failing due to the piss poor marking the thing has. From what I've gathered, most people still think it is an add-on for the Wii. This came full circle when my sister (who isn't huge in gaming so she doesn't look at gaming sites) thought the Wii U was an add-on. However, as of yet I haven't seen ANYTHING the PS4 or Xbox One have to offer that will make me go and buy the system, this includes future games too since I've given up hope on the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series for example.

Plus, I don't think Nintendo can go the route and release a system on par with Microsoft or Sony. They have done that with both the Gamecube and N64 and that didn't help them at all. 3rd Parties will never fully support Nintendo again because they don't believe their games can compare to Nintendo games (let us be honest, some of the best games ever made are done by Nintendo and Nintendo's games can normally stay on the sales charts far longer than most other big budget games). Plus the third parties have been pissing on the Wii U and giving us poor versions of their games (when compared to the 360 & PS3) at full retail price and surprise, it doesn't sell well enough.

However, I can also see that this generation could be the last of console gaming but I also predict that a crash will happen soon starting with the fall of Capcom. Imagine this if you will. What would have happened to Rockstar if GTAV did NOT sell as well as Rockstar had hoped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11