• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime Gets Sloppy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Not to mention this little bit of unintentional hilarity.

If that existed in real life, then there would be a lot more train derailment. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So yeah, anohana is the kind of thing you bring your crying towel to. The movie isn't a retelling or a sequel, exactly—it's sort of a 60/40 mix, where 60% is a digest version of the show, while the other 40% is a broad framing device, depicting each of the Super Peace Busters one by one, a year after their unexpected, weird, and poignant reunion with Menma.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me about Anohana is how deftly they integrated material from the TV series. This wasn't like a clips episode where someone says "remember that time when…" and then it cuts back to 4 minutes of old material, cut and paced exactly as it existed in the original. The Anohana movie would jump back to pick up a short fragment of old footage, mid-scene, and then come right back to new footage. There were only a few cases I could recognize long scenes from the original playing out, such as the very first episode of the series where Jintan is cooking and ghost Menma is demanding he cook her an egg too. I didn't notice any particularly abrupt quality changes between old and new animation either. Very slick.

Also, the posters at the counter of Jintan's video store have been updated with other subtle anime references. In the series, I clearly picked out Wandering Son, this time it was easy to spot Silver Spoon. Is the common thread with these references Aniplex shows, A-1, or Noitamina?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Errors like these are fairly often caught at or after the deadline, and are simply fixed for the home video release. This is partly to reward fans who buy the home video version, and partly to avoid lasting embarrassment. Shows that do particularly well often receive surprisingly lavish home video corrections like this;

I think nearly every home video release gets corrections, regardless of sales. Shigofumi sold very poorly but it too received corrections on DVD. After all, it has to be done before they start selling.

http://www.kira-reviews.com/ is a great not only for censored vs uncensored comparisons but most any other changes as well for new shows. Muv Luv Total Eclipse, aside from lightbeams/shadows removed for nudity, received a ton of corrections and drastic mecha changes. Other shows have less noticeable but just as many corrections like Natsuiro Kiseki and Maoyuu. SHAFT seems to go through every frame and make changes for their shows, like Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Naruto Shippuden Ep 167 is that they took one of the most important parts of the entire manga and almost made it into a running joke with the animation style. Why couldn't they just adapt it like the rest of the series? They completely ruined the immersion and epicness of the fight with the experimental art style. If they had to do that, try it on some filler or something that didn't matter.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
mistakes happen, nice to see them try to fix some
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The problem with Naruto Shippuden Ep 167 is that they took one of the most important parts of the entire manga and almost made it into a running joke with the animation style. Why couldn't they just adapt it like the rest of the series? They completely ruined the immersion and epicness of the fight with the experimental art style. If they had to do that, try it on some filler or something that didn't matter.

Yeah, that's one thing I really hate about some shows, or specifically, some producers. Why the bring in different people to intentionally change the design in the middle of a show, then change it back? I've seen this other shows like The Third, and Kimi Kiss. It's terrible.

Maybe if this happened more often:
Quote:
But fans of the show weren't happy with the direction, and the entire furor led to Gainax producer Takami Akai resigning after getting caught saying some pretty disparaging things about the complainers.

then these sporadic, random design/animation direction changes would stop occurring.
pureevil4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It was explained in-universe, but episode 19 of Genesis of Aquarion really caught me off guard.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Quote:
But fans of the show weren't happy with the direction, and the entire furor led to Gainax producer Takami Akai resigning after getting caught saying some pretty disparaging things about the complainers.

then these sporadic, random design/animation direction changes would stop occurring.

Yeah man I want creative professionals to live in fear of a tyrannical fan mob that wants everything to look exactly the same 100% of the time and has absolutely zero tolerance for any kind of experimentation or creative expression.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Now Mike, if you're gonna talk about badly animated OVAs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llgjvj1COC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp72dFsUGlk
redcar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the most notable bizarre animation for me was basically the entire episode 7 of Samurai 7. I'm generally not very good at noticing animation errors, but that entire episode was just...not good.

As for anohana, my favorite character was Anaru. She wrestled with lingering feelings regarding Menma like everyone else, but also with her feelings for Jintan and trying to figure out where to put them in the present: to keep them or to discard them. While I was hoping for some more resolution on that front in the movie, I found myself able to understand the message that such things take time.

As for the viewing experience at the movie itself, it was somewhat annoying because the theater's projector had its red turned waaaaaay up. Anaru had bright red hair, and just about everyone looked like they were sunburned (except Menma, whose usually porcelain skin appeared normal). It was a rather large distraction, but anohana is just so good that I enjoyed it anyway. I was also glad to see a very good turnout at the theater; I too was under the impression that it would have fewer people than Madoka due to lesser advertising.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Naruto Shippuuden #167: the first six and a half minutes were done entirely by Yamashita Shingo. He did 5,500+ key and in-between animation drawings himself. In that entire six-plus minute segment he uses two or three different styles. The cut of Pain punching the ground lasts for three seconds. Three seconds of a twenty minute episode where only four key animators are credited. Let's think about that. This isn't an error, this is pure artistic expression and interpretation. It's acting a level free of financial restraints. In those three seconds Pain's disgust with Naruto is expressed in a visual abstract manner. "My Pain is greater than yours!" is spoken with disgust. To depict this disgust Pain's twisted and distorted heart is brought to the surface. Those three seconds is Yamashita and Wakabayashi's way of saying "Pain is a disgusting person inside." Series Director Date Hayato loves giving his animators and directors free reign. He's a true artist. Wakabayashi Atsushi isn't the only freelance director Date relies on. Tsuru Toshiyuki and Sessha Gorou all direct episodes with their own distinctive styles. Yamashita Hiroyuki and Kouda Masayuki are allowed to break from the character models for the battle scenes. The character models are ignored in plenty of other episodes, I don't see anyone complaining about episode #143 or episode #322. Hell, not even Suzuki Hirofumi (the character designer) keeps his talent on-model when he acts as the Animation Supervisor.

The character model is only the beginning. Animation ends long after the character model.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah man I want creative professionals to live in fear of a tyrannical fan mob that wants everything to look exactly the same 100% of the time and has absolutely zero tolerance for any kind of experimentation or creative expression.

He who pays the piper calls the tunes. Your point is also a non-sequitur. Wanting consistency does NOT preclude an appreciation for different styles. Just not an appreciation for the piper changing tunes at random in the middle of a song from what the payer asked for. Being consistent and meeting expectations is also what it means for creatives to be professional.

Think about it this way, what would you think if they decided on a temporary change of direction, and injected some sudden massive fanservice in your favorite shows for an episode or two all for the sake of creative expression or experimentation?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
configspace wrote:

Quote:

I want a shows art style to be consistent. Its fine if some random show wants to try experimental stuff the entire time, but theres absolutely no reason for the art direction and style to change for a specific episode.

JacobYBM wrote:
The character model is only the beginning. Animation ends long after the character model.

Thats fine and all, but I value consistent character models and art over fluid animation. It doesn't matter how fluid it is in the art looks like shit in the process.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
some of these stills look downright terrifying
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I love columns like these. I wish you had released some messed up clips from AoT. Yep, I remember that Gurren Lagann episode, and then the fiasco afterwards.

Yep, you'd be surprised what you find under closer inspection. But sometimes you can see it in plain sight. I was watching KlaK last night. And considering how Trigger does a lot of their animation, and yes there has been debates about whether the animation is phenomenal or sloppy. Because we all know how shortcuts are made when it comes to action scenes. But I felt like that in some scenes there was some hackneyed effort. But again this can be expected when trying to get a show out. Then what usually happens they go back in and clean some things up for the DVD releases. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough as they can't do the whole thing. This whole column brings up the memories I had of Witchblade. Remember that show. From what people have seen of the show on DVD, it wasn't quite what it was when it aired. I used to follow the series through fansubbers and I was very involved with the discussion boards. When the series was in it's mid run, there was a fellow that took the time to release imagery from the DVD release and compare some of the screens to the broadcast. It was surprising what we saw. Much of the scenes from various episodes were either altered, cleaned up, color corrected or redone altogether. Since I had dl'ed the majority of the episodes I decided to do an experiment and watch certain episodes frame by frame for both the DVD and broadcast versions. I found that much of the work was very different. I found tons of sloppy in-betweens, facial work, static shots, missing cuff links and stuff that just had you laughing. Like cloneblade Shiori's bust size being bigger than it really is. Bet they sent this out to get done. So what animation sweatshop was the culprit? I love doing experiments like these. The release that folks got is the slicked up version. Unless you watched the broadcast version you won't know what I'm talking about. Even some viewers complained about Masane being made too "moe". That's because the character designer when he did poster shots he used to put blush on Masane's buttcheeks and on the breasts as well as her face. But in the TV version none of that is existent because of the animation team being used. It was later added in the home releases. I own the DVD set, but I also still have the TV version on my old external HD. I keep it for prosperity to remind me or a time when I found myself laughing so damn hard. But I do find it funny that we watch these episodes and sometimes we don't see these things right off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9