• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broken Blade Films Updated for TV With Spinoff OVA in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'd have rather seen them make more movies instead. Those 6 look and sound gorgeous on BD.

Only con to this (maybe): if this proves successful and more eyes and wallets buy this re-version, leading to more seasons at least on tv, I can see the visuals taking a nosedive...or at least not look and maybe sound like the movie counterparts.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Super excited for this, but I'm curious what they'll cut in order to make room for the new stuff, since 6 ~50 minute episodes are equal to 12 ~25 minute episodes. How is that going to work?

And Sentai's dub for this was actually quite good, so I hope they pick it up again.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Instead of spinoff, how about a strait up sequel instead. The movies just kind of stopped just when things were getting really interesting.

I agree. 12 episodes seems like a waste to simply redo what the movies have already done.

Maybe this will be the 4th release for Sentai to put an English commentary on, when they inevitably license and dub it.

I too wouldn't mind a new Berserk series. The low production values of the first series really hurt my experience with it. Perhaps the 3 movies could fund a sequel series that is well done and largely absent of bad CG? I hope so.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Instead of spinoff, how about a strait up sequel instead. The movies just kind of stopped just when things were getting really interesting.

The movies were close enough to the manga that continuing the story might be possible but different enough towards the end that continuing it would probably be difficult in some regards. So, while the movies were absolutely fantastic, a reboot could have at least fixed it so that it was closer to the manga and thus make it easier to continue the story. Without that, I'm not quite sure what they're going to do. It's just close enough that it might work, but they still definitely messed with the last couple of episodes too much, so I don't know what they'll be able to pull off to be able to continue the story. They fell into the classic trap of trying to tie things up in the middle of the story as well as stripping out some key stuff as they went along. As long as you didn't intend to continue it, it worked reasonably well, but as soon as you do continue it, you've got problems. They could have probably done a much better job of it though had they had one more episode to play with. But maybe they'll actually go and change some of the later stuff when they turn it into a TV series rather than just adding a few extra scenes?

Oh, well. Broken Blade is a fantastic story (both the movies and the manga), so I'm definitely hoping that this TV series does well and that they manage to continue the story in a good way.

On a related note, it's too bad that no one's picked up the manga since CMX was shut down. It deserves to be released here.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movies, so I look forward to seeing this coming out Smile
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Oh, well. Broken Blade is a fantastic story (both the movies and the manga), so I'm definitely hoping that this TV series does well and that they manage to continue the story in a good way.

On a related note, it's too bad that no one's picked up the manga since CMX was shut down. It deserves to be released here.

The Japanese publisher isn't allowing any overseas licenses of their titles, so that is somewhat of an impediment for any potential licensee.

The French publisher of Break Blade hasn't even been able to re-negotiate a contract for the series.

Last edited by Conner Crooks on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Super excited for this, but I'm curious what they'll cut in order to make room for the new stuff, since 6 ~50 minute episodes are equal to 12 ~25 minute episodes. How is that going to work?

I am also curious about this, especially since the series had almost no fluff to it.

Disappointed to hear that a new opening theme will be used, though. The original was fantastic. (My pick for the best of the year for titles released in 2012, in fact.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Nodz wrote:
That's a very good news!
In fact I've been thinking for a while that they should do this with the Berserk movies: turn them into an anime series with added scenes.

... that's already been done. The TV series what was release back in early 2000's. So, no such luck there.

Rolling Eyes
The 2000 (or 1997) anime was made from the 3 movies that were released in 2012-2013??? Laughing
My point was to have a new Berserk anime series made from these movies; with new scenes (the parts of the manga that didn't appear in the movies, like the Queen schemes)... Like what that plan to do with the Broken Blake movies Wink
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

The Japanese publisher isn't allowing any overseas licenses of their titles, so that is somewhat of an impediment for any potential licensee.

The French publisher of Break Blade hasn't even been able to re-negotiate a contract for the series.

Ouch. That's bad news. A bit curious too. I don't know why they'd do that since it seems like they'd just be losing out on potential revenue. Maybe they're just overprotective of their titles, afraid that other publishers wouldn't treat them right, or maybe the potential revenue is just to low for them to want to deal with sublicensing their stuff? I don't know. But it's not good for non-Japanese fans regardless of the reason.

You folks had the license for Angel Para Bellum (which seems to come from the same publisher) but haven't released any of it for a while. I guess that you lost the license over similar issues?

Hopefully, they change their minds at some point, and we'll be able to get some of their titles in English. I hate to have to stoop to piracy in order to read a manga series that I'm interested in.

Regardless, thanks for the info.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I hope this earns enough success to spawn a sequel/continuation.

This.

Key wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

I am also curious about this, especially since the series had almost no fluff to it.

Disappointed to hear that a new opening theme will be used, though. The original was fantastic. (My pick for the best of the year for titles released in 2012, in fact.)

My first thought too about the OP, Fate was freaking amazing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Here, here. Like it was only half the story, but it seems even the manga is like that unless it's an on going story.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Here, here. Like it was only half the story, but it seems even the manga is like that unless it's an on going story.

The manga continues after where the anime ends. However, they really needed at least one more movie to tell the story as it was in the manga, so what they did with the last couple of episodes deviated a fair bit from the manga, and the ending of the anime definitely doesn't match the manga. It's close enough that they might be able to continue it from there but different enough that they'll have problems with continuing it (not insurmountable, but they have their work cut out for them). Regardless, there's definitely more manga beyond the end of the anime. So, assuming that they can work around the deviations, there's more material to adapt (though it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to wait a bit longer before doing so in order to build up more material to adapt, which might be another reason for this new series not being a continuation).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2