• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Stride And Seek

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoRic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Can we get a shout out for the Class of Heroes 2 PS3 pre order/interest check list in the next X button. Game needs 7,000 sales so any exposure would be nice.

I thought it was confirmed for Spring, what is this about? Can you post a link?
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I played the demo for the new Strider, and I will admit it's a well made game from what I've seen, but it seems like it has nothing for me as far as the things I liked about the arcade/Genesis and NES games.

I loved the over-the-top ridiculousness of flying into the neo alien/commie landscape on a hang glider and then fighting up to the politburo turning into a millipede dragon with a hammer and sickle. Now, it's like the North Koreans as villains in Red Dawn. It feels sterilized and lacks a certain crazed zeal. And it's not just the first stage. The cutscenes of the original that are Engrish-ey simultaneously while speaking other languages and have the story make LESS sense while explaining it have a certain charm to them.

And it's hard to call the NES game a success, but it has the pieces of a great game that could've been improved by some modernization. This seems to want nothing to do with the melodramatic adventures of "the toughest group of people who execute acts such as infiltrations, abduction, explosion, instigation, etc." The linear non-linearity setup seems to be the only thing they're interested in.

Like Double Helix's Silent Hill Homecoming, it has solid enough foundations (I know, many can argue it doesn't), but it can't seem to wrap its head fully around the attitude of the series it's a part of.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
It wasn't brought up in this X Button, but did anyone else buy Shin Megami Tensei on iOS this week?

I was disappointed that it was formatted for iPhone only, which means playing it on iPad forces you to zoom in on it.

But other then that its really cool that this now has an official English release. I'm thinking of picking up a Bluetooth controller to play it... and now I'm hoping its bluetooth controller compatible...
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I never say a Cammy clone is "original." I only said they don't play alike at all gameplay wise. Try playing Oni or Evil Ryu for 5 minutes you'll realize they're not clones, you can't play them the same way as Ryu or Ken. They're only "clones" by looks and similar normal attacks.

What you're saying is not 100% true and inaccurate statements are misleading. Its rude and irresponsible to say ignorant statements based on first impression, just because you haven't tried something new for more than 5 minutes.

First impression from people like you, "herp derp, she's a Cammy clone, she sucks, herp derp." Play the character for just 5 minutes and you'll realize their metagame don't play alike.

Even the article states,

"Decapre also shares a bit of Cammy's animation, though she's not so much of a knock-off in that sense. Her moves, mostly done with charge motions, are primarily for offense, and one of her Ultra attacks is a slow-moving ball of psycho power that just saunters across the screen. She can teleport and dash all over the place, and already hardcore players call her overpowered.

Other fans are too busy griping about all the Street Fighter and Final Fight characters that CAPCOM could've included instead of Evil Cammy (they're not even changing her hair?), but those just weren't as economical. We can still complain, though! "

Holy crap, as if on cue...

Lol, rude and irresponsible? You're using the wrong adjectives man.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Deception sounds like it's the product of a very disturbed mind. I like bloody violence but this game seems more like "torture women and get off to it" the game. I don't have a problem with bloody and gory violence (I love that shit) but the wierdly sexualized female enemies are...ugh.

Watch out, lest we summon the hoards of people who claim "we don't get it" and that our political correctness is ruining gaming! Rolling Eyes

No, but double standards like these are pretty questionable.

Chagen46 wrote:
I don't have a problem with bloody and gory violence (I love that shit)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2