• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
I think I have an idea of why he gets upset with people calling him King, because it implies him trying to control everyone and why he his team turned against him.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Eeek, was fan boying a lot through that episode. Finally spoiler[Hinata and Kageyama have started to work as a cohesive unit. Kageyama seems to be getting over and has learnt from his mistakes made with previous team.] I'm surprised that Daichi let Tsookie spoiler[run his mouth so much especially as he Daichi kept shutting down Tanaka when he tried to intervene. I hope and guess that Daichi knew that what Tsookie was saying would have the opposite effect on Kageyama - possibly he was hoping Hinata would step in like he did, strengthening the bond between the two.]

Hinata and Kagyeama's relationship in the early stages is very much like spoiler[Mihashi and Ade's from Ōkiku Furikabutte and maybe developing in the same way but without the subtle hints of BL... though a sportsman hug wouldn't go amiss between these two Wink ].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Kageyama's attitude] backfired in the past.
Lets hope he won't make the same mistake again.
It was fun watching that match.
Hinata's persistence never ceases to amaze me.
Watching him play is very inspiring.
Hinata & Kageyama make an awesome team!
Those two have a really good influence on each other.
Great episode!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Damn, the OST is really catching up to me. Hinata is also improving so I'm hoping for a decent match against another school coming soon. This show has been keeping up a steady pace that I can appreciate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Episode 4
I'm surprised that Daichi let Tsookie spoiler[run his mouth so much especially as he Daichi kept shutting down Tanaka when he tried to intervene. I hope and guess that Daichi knew that what Tsookie was saying would have the opposite effect on Kageyama - possibly he was hoping Hinata would step in like he did, strengthening the bond between the two.]

To me it seemed like he felt it was something they needed to get out of their systems, like lancing a boil, and better to work it out during a practice game than a real one. Also, Tanaka would be just as likely to go overboard himself if he got between them. Smile

I just love this show so much. All the stock characters rise so high above their basic story tropes that they just pop like fireworks. Makes me happy every week.

Also it makes an interesting bookend series with Baby Steps, with the team vs solo sports, especially this week since both series really made a point of the differences in mentality. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Lol, that was a funny episode thanks to Hinata and Tanaka stealing a lot of the spotlights.

There were some spoiler[mechanics explained and I'm kinda liking the way they explained a few of the playing styles.] That last part cracked me up though. Still, I loved the balance of the style and comedy of the series so far.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
It's good to see Hinata and Kagyeama spoiler[are starting to get along, no more bickering and are willing to work together as a team.] Hinata's spoiler[excitement over trivial things like the clubhouse was so cute and thier next game will really help his nerves; even if they loose he would have some experience playing with an experienced team again one of the top four.] I will say though that if I was Daichi I would have words with Tsukki and his attitude. He needs to be more or a team player and needs to stop trying to intimidate Hinata and Kagyeama because its only going to effect the team. Tsukki clearly has some armour due to I guess his previous team.

Another well played episode, the team is coming together and we have another game already set up. Looking forward to how the experienced players work with the first years.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Looks like the entire school knows what they did to the dean. I kind of have a feeling like this show almost has no right to be as fun and funny as it is. Compared to Pedal it is much more entertaining.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
That was a cute episode spoiler[It's nice to see Kageyama and Hinata starting to get along] Their enthusiasm is nice to watch as well.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Tanaka & Hinata] gloating was fun ^^
It was a good match.
So, spoiler[finally, they made the team.]
The typical spoiler[cartoon sound at 10th minute was a nice surprise.
The upcoming practice match]
should be a blast.
Can't wait to see that!
spoiler[Hinata] sure was feeling the pressure..
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I am starting to lose interest.

It has really good execution but no really unique hook apart from it being about Volleyball.

No romance, no dead brothers or fathers, no promises to childhood friends, no really insane obstacle to overcome. (those are just examples of common hooks- not specific wishes).

It's just a (somewhat uninteresting) game with typical character types having to overcome the standard sports obstacles of the chosen sports particularities.

I just don't know how long the humor can keep me invested.

...There's also a part of me that wonders how there has never been a "beach volleyball" manga/anime (that I know of)... which would at least have the significant sexiness going for it (girls or boys, depending on your preference).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If this is successful, I'm sure there will be. Smile

The humor is still going strong for me. I laugh at this more times an episode than any other series this season. I'm so glad Sentai took a leap at this. Dub or not, it's a definite buy for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...There's also a part of me that wonders how there has never been a "beach volleyball" manga/anime (that I know of)... which would at least have the significant sexiness going for it (girls or boys, depending on your preference).

This makes me think of Hayate no Gotoku, which at one time had a volleyball match but the characters admitted that the creator had only known about the sport through a manga about volleyball, so they could not play the rules properly.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

No romance, no dead brothers or fathers, no promises to childhood friends, no really insane obstacle to overcome. (those are just examples of common hooks- not specific wishes).

The lack of stuff like that is exactly what makes me enjoy this series so far. Nothing wrong with a sports series being primarily about (relatively normal) boys who want to play (relatively normal and not supernatural) volleyball for once. That's almost refreshing these days. Plus, i like all of the main characters so far which rarely happens in sports anime and i love the humor.

I'm sure there will be obstacles along the way, but i hope it's gonna be relatively normal obstacles and not some cheesy over-the-top melodrama...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
I agree with Merida; I like the fact the drama is kept on the caught and during their training sessions and the hook is whether they will win the game and how far they will make it in the tournament. If there were other hooks I think it would take away from the action - that's what made a series like Big Windup so good for me, they kept the drama revolved around the sport and the games they played.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23