• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well wondering what Space Dandy going to do when it returns in the summer
anifani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Premieres on my birthday. Very Happy

Happy Birthday to me! Thanks for the gift Funi.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised by this news either. But I remember that a few months back some people were skeptical about whether Attack on Titan was going to be on Toonami.

I will make a prediction. After Attack on Titan ends its Toonami run, Kill la Kill is airing dubbed. Mark my words!

Polycell wrote:
It can't really be helped - they can't/won't work with Sentai for whatever reason, Viz hardly gets anything and everybody else hardly ever dubs anything.

DISCLAIMER: I do not hate dubs. I love watching my anime dubbed if they are well made.

Do you really want to expose more people to Sentai's shitty dubs? What did Toonami viewers ever did to you to give them this punishment?

Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

What did you expect? Masses like cheap entertainment, not brainy stuff. Attack on Titan is an action show, but it has more substance than you give it credit.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I recall a few people on here saying this would never make it onto Toonami or on cable in general, ha. Very cool to see it so soon on TV, don't know if ill catch it but would be nice to get a substantial preview of the dub before I inevitably buy the BD.
battlechili1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

Toonami's rule is that a show must contain a sufficient enough amount of action to be aired. That doesn't mean it won't air shows that could be seen to have intellectual value.

If you'd be willing to recall, Casshern Sins, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Eureka Seven all aired on Toonami.

Also, your post seems to imply that Attack On Titan isn't a masterpiece in its own way. It's not exactly smart by any means, but its extremely competent at what it seems to be trying to accomplish (which is giving intense feelings of both doom and hope). It successfully tells a story about great beasts putting humanity near its end and really gives a sense of doom and loss. Humanity really might just perish. And it does this without ever feeling too cliche'd, dumb, or overdone. Its exciting, action packed, and it rarely ever gets dull. And then there's the extremely smooth animation among other things...
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Toonami is an action animation block.
Why would they air an unknown slice-of-life anime on Adult Swim late at night? Laughing

If you took the time to watch the current shows on the block, you'd find that some of them aren't "brainless". Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MasterKingJC on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I don't agree with you there. It's not the greatest show in the world, but AoT isn't some mindless action show either. Plus Full Metal Alchemist comes to mind of another show that definitely does not follow your opinionated rule.

In other news I am SO excited! It felt so good seeing the commercial on tv Very Happy
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

A block isn't airing the show I want it to, let me pointlessly bash it. Internet, oy vey.

And people these days have weird definitions of masterpieces.

Welp that's enough lurking around anime sites for this month I think. Off to greenies pasture.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Boom my night was just made best news for anime on TV on top of that 11:30 time slot that's the best part Cool way to go funi maybe this will end up being the next dragon ball z for NA {that's a lot to ask for but considering this show did so well in Japan and for people who saw the subs i can see it having a good run}
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
pfft Attack on Titan... whatever, here in Canada we got BeyWheelz...beat that

Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Woo! I'm stoked for this! Thanks Toonami! I just knew you would get this! Guess I better start cleaning out my DVR because once this show premieres it's going to be on there for a while! Very Happy
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I do not hate dubs. I love watching my anime dubbed if they are well made.

Do you really want to expose more people to Sentai's shitty dubs? What did Toonami viewers ever did to you to give them this punishment?

There are a few shows Sentai Filmworks has in its library that weren't dubbed in-house, like the Persona 4 anime. Hell, Sentai even acquired shows that used to air on Adult Swim back in the day, like s-CRY-ed and the first season of Big O. I wouldn't mind seeing those on Toonami.

In any case, I wonder what will happen with Space Dandy when new episodes start airing again in July, as Attack on Titan is now occupying its spot.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

There are a few shows Sentai Filmworks has in its library that weren't dubbed in-house, like the Persona 4 anime. Hell, Sentai even acquired shows that used to air on Adult Swim back in the day, like s-CRY-ed and the first season of Big O. I wouldn't mind seeing those on Toonami.

In any case, I wonder what will happen with Space Dandy when new episodes start airing again in July, as Attack on Titan is now occupying its spot.

I think one of two things could happen: either Space Dandy will swap spots with Bleach, going to midnight, or they'll expand to 11:00, put AoT there, and Space Dandy at 11:30. They're definitely not going to keep it there when it's still a world premiere simul-dub.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gamers have evolved and become more accepted anime is about to experience the same evolution..
Horror fans, walking dead fans, old farts and even infants shall know the name Attack on Titan.. no one is safe.

Inspired by the creator of Muv-Luv, Yoshimune Kouki. Isayama Hajime brings you Attack on Titan. The next Akira is here.

America.. we're not ready for this.

One can dream right?

Last edited by StormVanguard on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I was expecting Attack on Titan to air on Toonami the week after Space Dandy took a break. Anyways, it's nice to see it air, although I don't think I'll be watching it on Toonami since the pacing of the series (compounded by the fact that I watched it as each episode came out) irked me.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Well wondering what Space Dandy going to do when it returns in the summer

I think they might push Attack on Titan back to 12:30am (or hell, give it Bleach's timeslot). Considering that Space Dandy is going to be at 12:30 once AoT starts, that timeslot seems the most likely. (of course, they might extend Toonami again to 11:00pm for all we know)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9