• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Seiun, Say Me

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
There are a number of Japanese books I would like to read, but it doesn't seem right reading a translation.

Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn, so unless the available translations are terrible, or the books you're interested in just aren't translated yet, it doesn't make that much sense to spend all that time and money on lessons for casual reading.

Still, I get where you're coming from. I pretty much avoid Tagalog translations of English-language material and vice versa. It really annoys me when the best available copy of a Filipino movie has hard English subtitles since I will inevitably nitpick the translation.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember going to see that first Harry Potter movie, and watching carefully to see what they left out of the books, only to fly into a table-flipping rage over their omission of Peeves the poltergeist? (Try watching that stinker again, I double-dare you!)

Aside from its slow pace, what "stinker"? I've watched it as multiple times as the rest of the series, and I still like it better than the slapsticky/goofy tone Cuaron took for the better-praised but overrated Prisoner of Azkaban.

Also, I thought the Haruhi Suzumiya series had a great ending with the Disappearance film, but curious to see what more there was to tell, I followed the light novel series--and found that it lead to an even better payoff of a conclusion, and yes, the series does end. It's such a good cap-off to the storyline that rather than be even vague on any details, I encourage people to just read it.

I remember reading Brave Story long before I got around to getting the UK DVD release of Gonzo's movie. If you were to compare it to the book, than there's a plentiful boatload to dislike and be disappointed about with the film version. It's heavily simplified, leaving out much of the substantial meat that made the book truly distinguished from all other boy-travels-to-magical-world stories, almost really like a shadow. Judge the film based on its own merits, though, it's really not bad at all. It lost much of what made the original story so distinct and memorable, but it's still a fun family fantasy adventure film that cuts to the point of what it's trying to say.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Started my summer reading list today, thanks!
GVman

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
So the Yukikaze novel's a yay? I'll have to give it a looksee.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It kept nagging me while reading the article about trying to remember one that has more to the story than the anime. Then I remember that the series I was trying to remember was Banner of the Stars. Which has 2 novels that have yet to be adapted to anime. Although it's seems interest in the anime adaptation died with Banner of the Stars 3 OVA. The 2 books seem to introduce a new character, Lafiel's younger brother.

It was kinda shocking that Tokyopop actually released the 3 volumes of the Crest of the Stars novel.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Tokyopop, during their flirtation with light novels, released the original novel of Welcome to the NHK.
That was brilliant. So much darker than either the anime or the manga version, and it's so sad that it's out of print.

And I agree that Natsuhiko Kyogoku's "Mouryou no Hako" is one of the great lost classics both in anime and novel form.

I read Welcome to the NHK and loved it.

What about The Twelve Kingdoms? Tokyopop tried to release those, but I'm not sure if they're considered regular novels or light novels.

I watched most of Mouryou no Hako years ago, but the fansubs were impossible to find for the last few eps.
sightpicture

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
So the Yukikaze novel's a yay? I'll have to give it a looksee.

Absolutely.

Though, you may want to look into the ebook version (of the first novel, at least). There's an Amazon review that states the ebook actually corrected several translation errors that were present in the paperback version (such as the paperback using Imperial units of measurement instead of metric, which the ebook version uses).
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
I know that From The New World and Hyouka are both based on novels (the latter a mystery novel series). Hopefully someone releases the novel of FTNW. We have the anime and manga, but not the source? It being a standard science fiction novel, I'm surprised it is not published in English yet. Shiki I believe was also a novel, although i'm not sure if it is a light novel or just a standard novel. Oh, and Rocket Girls, released in English by Viz, was also made into an anime.

BTW Rescue Me Mave Chan and Stratos 4 are animated by the same studio, although I wonder why exactly its connected to Yukikaze. Seems like a really random anime to make a spin-off of.

And is it just me or do anime based on novels seem to be held in higher regard than those based on light novels?
GVman

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
@kevinx59: Light novels are usually just that: light. They're meant for a fun afternoon's read, but usually lack substance. Novels tend to have much more hours poured into them.

While everyone's throwing out names, Battle Royale did inspire two manga series, although it never got an anime.

tangytangerine wrote:
It kept nagging me while reading the article about trying to remember one that has more to the story than the anime. Then I remember that the series I was trying to remember was Banner of the Stars. Which has 2 novels that have yet to be adapted to anime. Although it's seems interest in the anime adaptation died with Banner of the Stars 3 OVA. The 2 books seem to introduce a new character, Lafiel's younger brother.

It was kinda shocking that Tokyopop actually released the 3 volumes of the Crest of the Stars novel.

I've heard Tokyopop's translation of the novels wasn't the greatest. Is that true? And I don't mean in just the grammar sense; I've heard that the way certain lines are translated are completely inappropriate for certain characters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

I know that From The New World and Hyouka are both based on novels (the latter a mystery novel series). Hopefully someone releases the novel of FTNW. We have the anime and manga, but not the source? It being a standard science fiction novel, I'm surprised it is not published in English yet.

You may have answered your own question. Science fiction novels have never abated in the West - it's a tough market to crack and hook serious readers.

kevinx59 wrote:

And is it just me or do anime based on novels seem to be held in higher regard than those based on light novels?

The publishing standards seem to be stricter for novels. Kinda like any fanfic can be published as a light novel, but editors would scrutinize a novel manuscript many times over before deciding to publish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2