• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hamatora Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eira

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
MHikaru wrote:
I thought this was a great series. It had a little bit of everything, comedy, mystery, action and supernatural. I'm glad that its getting a second series.

Same here. I didn't have very high expectations when I started watching it, but it ended up being one of the shows I enjoyed the most last season, mostly thanks to the comedy elements. Not exactly a masterpiece, but definitely not as bad as this review makes it seem either. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So which is better, Hamatora or Hamtaro?
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I also disagree with the review. I found it very entertaining. Mind you half of the entertainment was from a "Really? They did that?" but that is something that I enjoy from time to time. I hope that when the next season airs that Sentai will pick it up so I don't have to import it.

I have to admit I loved Ratio's character design. In the first episode when they showed his arms, I grinned from ear to ear. It was so ridiculously silly and awesome at the same time. I'm looking forward to the second season this summer.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
I also disagree with the review. I found it very entertaining. Mind you half of the entertainment was from a "Really? They did that?" but that is something that I enjoy from time to time. I hope that when the next season airs that Sentai will pick it up so I don't have to import it.

I have to admit I loved Ratio's character design. In the first episode when they showed his arms, I grinned from ear to ear. It was so ridiculously silly and awesome at the same time. I'm looking forward to the second season this summer.

Yeah, the more I read this review the more exaggerated I find it. "A threat" "Seiji Kishi is a horrible director" There is nothing about the actors or the music or an attempt to make it look like Carl made a fair review
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to learn that Kishi directed Carnival Phantasm. Interesting.

Ignatz wrote:
Seiji Kishi should not be given any more projects. He's a terrible director. Simple as that.

Hey, Kamisama Dolls was pretty good. And Humanity Has Declined was alright. And um . . . er . . . actually I can't think of a third one. Arpeggio comes close but was too uneven. Persona 4 was too flawed. Angel Beats! was too steeped in Jun Maeda's BS. And Danganronpa was downright awful. Kishi really is lame.
Eira

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
I found it very entertaining. Mind you half of the entertainment was from a "Really? They did that?" but that is something that I enjoy from time to time.

Yes, one of the things I liked the most about it was how it often took unexpected routes and made fun of various clichés. It got a little random at times, but overall I found it fun and refreshing.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Whichever episode I dropped this at (somewhere between 2 and 4) had the most ridiculous and contrived scenarios and dialogue I've ever experienced in an anime. Truly terrible.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm surprised to learn that Kishi directed Carnival Phantasm. Interesting.

Ignatz wrote:
Seiji Kishi should not be given any more projects. He's a terrible director. Simple as that.

Hey, Kamisama Dolls was pretty good. And Humanity Has Declined was alright. And um . . . er . . . actually I can't think of a third one. Arpeggio comes close but was too uneven. Persona 4 was too flawed. Angel Beats! was too steeped in Jun Maeda's BS. And Danganronpa was downright awful. Kishi really is lame.

He gets progressively worse, just like M. Night Shyamalan. Laughing
No Comment

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak authoritatively on Seiji Kishi's works, and I haven't seen this show, but someone has to come in here and pimp Astro Fighter Sunred. Great stuff.

Also for the most part, anime community seems to have liked Angel Beats and My Bride Is A Mermaid.

He certainly has no excuse for some of the crap he's pumped out, and anything he does adapted from a video game is a good sign to start running, though I think he can at least do a good job when he's given good source material.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:
Minimum Holders, Nice and Moral.

This is one thing I'd like anime series (and videogames too) to stop: silly naming. This has to be among the worst offenders. Confused

Oh, boy. While I agree with you on the whole, I've seen so many others...

Characters named Milk (The Legend of the Legendary Heroes), Dark (D.N.Angel), Trunks Brief (Dragonball Z), Quattro Bajeena and Jamitov Hymen (Zeta Gundam. Hell, just Gundam on its own has dozens of examples), Backyard Bottomslash and Quarter Queen (Death Note light novel The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases), Bobobobobobobo (From the titular series), Lettuce, Mint, and Pudding (Tokyo Mew Mew).

Like the Gundam franchise, Baccano! could provide a plethora of examples all on its own. (Jacuzzi Splot, Ladd Russo, Nice Holystone - pronounced like niece).

That said, there have been times when I've fallen in love with a character despite, or even sometimes because of their weird-ass name - Baccano, Gundam, and Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning are some good examples.

Back on task: Shame about Hamatora. It looked like it could be psychedelic fun. Crying or Very sad Ah well, maybe there's an AMV with all the cool fight scenes at least.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:

Oh, boy. While I agree with you on the whole, I've seen so many others...

Characters named Milk (The Legend of the Legendary Heroes), Dark (D.N.Angel)...

And that's not even the best park of Dark's name. His full name is - no kidding - Dark Mousie.

I may be spelling it wrong. Smile
Yause

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
I can't speak authoritatively on Seiji Kishi's works, and I haven't seen this show, but someone has to come in here and pimp Astro Fighter Sunred. Great stuff.

Also for the most part, anime community seems to have liked Angel Beats and My Bride Is A Mermaid.

He certainly has no excuse for some of the crap he's pumped out, and anything he does adapted from a video game is a good sign to start running, though I think he can at least do a good job when he's given good source material.

His technical prowess is lacking, which is the heart of the problem. Kishi does well enough with gag anime and simple presentations. But throw anything more complex into the mix, and the storyboards come up way short.

Angel Beats was a good example of this, with its limp cinematography and notorious waste of budget (instead of enhancing cuts that highlight good animation and wow viewers, frames were arbitrarily thrown at things that people barely notice. On Ep. 1, Kishi had a generous 10,000 frames to create magic, but he seemingly had no idea about what to do with them).

A skilled director tends to be discerning in terms of project selection and workload because he/she has a reputation to protect. Average ones that receive numerous offers just because they stumble across commercial success tend to grab everything they can while the going is good (i.e. Chiaki Kon, Seiji Kishi, Keitaro Motonaga, etc.). They know they may not be in demand long-term.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see someone else tearing this thing apart. Laughing
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Shory wrote:
Another example of how comparing scores on ANN can be quite funny. When compared to say, Nobunagun, for example.

For me, Nobunagun is a little better than this anime. I am very bored with the story because of too many meaningless speech between the characters.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I dropped this anime at episode 4. It was simply too boring for me. Literally nothing about it, except for the colorful art, got me interested in it whatsoever. It's just plain boring.

Uwoo hoo! The same as me! It's just too boring to watch this anime. Bad music and too many meaningless speech between the characters. I just like the arts (the colours, BUT JUST A VERY LITTLE)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3