• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Obscure Anime Series Lost in Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
For the list, yup, they're obscure. Do they deserve it? Don't know, can't watch everything, won't watch everything. Sorry, series, lost to time...

For the poll, I picked the one I can never remember how to spell so I just shorten it to UY.

Yeah, you could name hundreds of kid shows from the 70s and 80s that no one remembers because they got no subs. Even if they managed to have some rabid fans, it's a very small group of individuals. I still want to see Hikari no Densetsu and the Kabocha Wine subbed, but it's unlikely unless AnimeSols somehow gets to it (not like they'd be funded, but at least existed subs would be nice.)

I picked Urusei Yatsura as well. Ranma's never had anything near the sincerity and playful intellectual humor that UY achieved. Ranma will never have an Only You, never even mind a Beautiful Dreamer.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
But if you don't like Rumiko Takahashi? Because, i . . . I don't like her work.

If you really don't like her stuff and haven't seen the Rumic Theater Anthology, give it a try. They're good stories that are devoid of the Ranma ½ and Urusei Yatsura formula inanity.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel TakaRumi is very formulaic in her characters, so I just went with Ranma 1/2.

In Latin America, we watch an anime version of Grimm's Fairy Tales. That's as obscure as you can get down here.
No Comment

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This was a great list. Too often when someone lists obscure anime, it's more just under-appreciated things that are still streaming or available in R1 on DVD. And only Hana no Ko Lunlun out of the six is on my 999 title Want To See list, I hadn't even heard of the other 5, which is great because I'm always on the prowl for something forgotten and cool. Admittedly when something gets lost in time to the point where no one has heard of them and it isn't subbed, there may be a reason why it's forgotten, but the fact that it's very unavailable makes me want to see it more.

My pick would be Nessa No Haou Gandalla. I can barely find anything on it. The brief description of it I found sounds like it's about a boy band that gets transported to some horrific alternate dimension. Kaikan Phrase meets Now And Then Here And There? It has Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs and is actually directed by the director of the Pachinko anime on the list. I can only find it raw or subbed in Russian. I am deathly curious
Tiggyz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm curious to see what Hana no Ko Lunlun is about.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that none of those anime on that list ever came to America. They look like really good series. I did hear a little bit about "Jeannie of the Light Brown Hair." I read about it in "The Anime Encyclopedia." From what little I do know about this series,it did get some exposure here but not much.
Also,mdo7 should get some kudos for finding some more obsure anime. I think I can see why the three volleyball anime wouldn't be shown here. It's not a sport a lot of people in the U.S. are interested in,a lot like soccer. It's also a shame about "Candy Candy." If any series deserves to be here,it's that one.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
How about Corrector Yui? Only 18 of 52 eps. were released on DVD by Viz. They're not impossible to find (although overpriced because out of print), but there are no fansubs either, so you'll have to learn Japanese to watch the whole series.

I remember seeing trailers of this show back in the day! I'm on youtube though and they have all the episodes in-I think Spanish or Latin? It's not subbed though, but at least there's another language you can learn to watch it lol.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Also, mdo7 should get some kudos for finding some more obsure anime. I think I can see why the three volleyball anime wouldn't be shown here. It's not a sport a lot of people in the U.S. are interested in, a lot like soccer. It's also a shame about Candy Candy If any series deserves to be here, it's that one.

Shocked uhh, thanks for the compliment, Snomaster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Candy Candy-I think most of you know how popular this series was outside of Japan, it got a limited broadcast in North America. But because of a very long lawsuit between Mizuki and Igarashi and the 2000's lawsuit, I doubt this will ever see the light of day outside of Japan again.

The show got released in Mexico a while ago by Capital 8, the same company releasing the Sailor Moon Talk Boxes.

https://www.facebook.com/CandyCandyMexico
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icx1yVW2oVw
vincent_vincent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I came expecting to be an anime hipster, saying I'd heard of these, but I only have heard of one. Schooled.

While we're throwing out obscure anime, I can't help but to plug "Domain of Murder," an obscure OVA that CPM brought over but nobody cared to buy. It's an expertly crafted work of animation, with a compelling central mystery, great dialogue, and some of the best Japanese voice acting you'll ever hear. No exaggeration. I feel like nobody else has ever seen it, but I swear, it's a wonderful little piece of anime.

Interesting, guess i should check it out
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee, this is certainly an interesting list. Plus, you got me interested in that pachinko anime; I thought that Kaiji was the only anime to really focus on pachinko. Truly, anime can most definitely be anything.

Since some have mentioned some other no-sub anime, here's one I really enjoyed: Hareluya II BOY. This based on a Shonen Jump manga from the 90s about Hareluya Hibino and his friends, who work together to take on any sort of delinquents and "bad people" in their city. It's pretty episodic but what makes it work best are the characters, who are all really memorable. Also, the music is really damn good, with some awesome rock renditions of classical music. Finally, it's probably the most unknown title from the catalog of Yasuhiro Imagawa, director of G Gundam, Giant Robo, and Shin Mazinger. Unfortunately, only the first three episodes were ever subbed, poorly at that, and the only raws out there digitally are from a Chinese hardsubbed airing with all sorts of video and audio glitches. It also has never been released on DVD,even in Japan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

The show got released in Mexico a while ago by Capital 8, the same company releasing the Sailor Moon Talk Boxes.

https://www.facebook.com/CandyCandyMexico
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icx1yVW2oVw

Oh thanks for the info. I didn't know about that. That could be a one good sign, but I don't know if Candy Candy will ever see a US release. There still hope, I hope. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I would've put in Akazukin Cha-Cha, Violinist of Hameln, and maybe Magical Taluluto-kun.

As for the Rumiko Takahashi series, I chose Ranma 1/2, as it's the only series of her's that I like.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, #6 and #3 were released in Spain (which mean at least France and Italy, too). What's more, #6 was dubbed two times (which means a 10 year difference).

Oh, and thanks to Lun Lun I discovered that the "flower language" is... unique. And I mean, "made up". You can wrote a books saying that carnation means "I own a bike" and nobody can call you a liar.

As a shôjo in those years, it was interesting how 13 year-old girls were always hooked up with older boys. Candy Candy, etc.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard of any of those shows, either, and I've been watching anime for almost 30 years!

As for my favorite Rumiko Takahashi series, that would be Maison Ikkoku. Heck, it's pretty much one of my favorite anime shows, period! To be perfectly honest, however, Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura were the only two Takahashi works that I've ever been able to get into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3