• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Korean One Piece Exhibition Cancelled Due to Japanese Flag Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto, thank you for your clear, well reasoned and well written post. I can't really add to it as I am not as familiar with the history of Korean and Japanese international relations as you are. I do have a personal opinion about the comparison of Germany and Japan and their respective responses to atrocities. As a child and grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I feel that Germany has tried to reconcile with its past in many ways. They've admitted to their sins and have literally paid reparations to both individual victims and the State of Israel. I really appreciate, for instance, that Mein Kampf is illegal in Germany, and that there are memorials erected all over their country, even if most of those efforts were in response to international pressure.

Japan has had issues historically with openly confessing to and condemning atrocities they committed. This is in stark contrast to Germany, and will notably affect public opinion towards them, especially in South Korea.

I also have to agree with everyone here that putting a One Piece exhibit in a war museum was a dumb idea to begin with.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
@kirisaki_kabuto You sound like a Korean shill or something. What does Oda share with the "imperialists" of the 19th and 20th century other than his ethnic and national origin? Hell, what do most modern Japanese people have to do with the Japanese of old? To imply a people can't change is ludicrous. Take Sweden for example. It was a homophobic nation. That's a fact, but during the 60s up until 2000, Sweden started to be so tolerant of gay people to the point where Sweden is a human champion for gay rights. Funnily enough, it's the Koreans who have not changed a bit. Polls show that a majority of Koreans STILL have hatred towards the Japanese of today. Whereas there's barely any unjustified hate towards the Koreans. People may think the Japanese are a racist people, but let's look at the facts, shall we? If you were from a country where foreigners committed about 30%+ of crime, wouldn't you be weary of foreigners? Not to mention a lot of that is from the Zainichi community, which is about half of all foreigners in Japan. They don't integrate and they commit so much crime. Japanese people love race mixing to the point where it's becoming increasingly common. More than 2/3rds of all Japanese-Canadians and more than 1/2 of all Japanese-Americans are mixed, while Korean-Canadians and Korean-Americans have the same anti-miscegenation feelings that their ancestors have, to the point where you can have a Korean-American family who's lived in American since the 1900s, yet have not ONE non-Korean ancestor. in South Korea, God help you if you are a Kosian. The modern Koreans have censored and are responsible for more butchering of Japanese content and media than the Americans and French combined, even though the Japanese treat Koreans and their work with respect. The Koreans also had comfort women, so yeah. Koreans don't even integrate in America, let alone Japan, while the Japanese integrate in America.

We can claim the Japanese are evil monsters all we want, but the Koreans are babies and have done nothing to become friends with Japan. The oppression that the Japanese committed upon the Taiwanese is worse than what they've done to the Koreans, yet Taiwan is Japan's only East Asian friend and they are friends. Taiwan has forgiven Japan. Why is Korea, specifically the South so arrogant and ethnocentric?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
@kirisaki_kabuto: that sum it up, thanks for the long explanation. Also let's not forget about Japan's recent view on the Kono Statement. Yeah that is also causing strain in relation between Japan and South Korea too I like to add. The recent review of the Kono Statement has caused anger in Korea, some in US, and also even in Japan. I'm sorry the One Piece exhibit has been cancelled in South Korea.

SynergyMan wrote:
@kirisaki_kabuto You sound like a Korean shill or something. What does Oda share with the "imperialists" of the 19th and 20th century other than his ethnic and national origin? Funnily enough, it's the Koreans who have not changed a bit. Polls show that a majority of Koreans STILL have hatred towards the Japanese of today. Whereas there's barely any unjustified hate towards the Koreans. People may think the Japanese are a racist people, but let's look at the facts, shall we? If you were from a country where foreigners committed about 30%+ of crime, wouldn't you be weary of foreigners? Not to mention a lot of that is from the Zainichi community, which is about half of all foreigners in Japan. They don't integrate and they commit so much crime. Japanese people love race mixing to the point where it's becoming increasingly common. More than 2/3rds of all Japanese-Canadians and more than 1/2 of all Japanese-Americans are mixed, while Korean-Canadians and Korean-Americans have the same anti-miscegenation feelings that their ancestors have, to the point where you can have a Korean-American family who's lived in American since the 1900s, yet have not ONE non-Korean ancestor. in South Korea, God help you if you are a Kosian. The modern Koreans have censored and are responsible for more butchering of Japanese content and media than the Americans and French combined, even though the Japanese treat Koreans and their work with respect. The Koreans also had comfort women, so yeah. Koreans don't even integrate in America, let alone Japan, while the Japanese integrate in America.

We can claim the Japanese are evil monsters all we want, but the Koreans are babies and have done nothing to become friends with Japan. The oppression that the Japanese committed upon the Taiwanese is worse than what they've done to the Koreans, yet Taiwan is Japan's only East Asian friend and they are friends. Taiwan has forgiven Japan. Why is Korea, specifically the South so arrogant and ethnocentric?

Excuse me your post here seem borderline racism, I don't think you didn't read about anti-Korean racism (and other racial issues) in Japan:

Zaitokukai

Hating the Korean Wave

Anti-foreigner manga

Japan's race issue

NYT-Japan pay Brazilian workers to go back home, and Time-Japan to Immigrants: Thanks, But You Can Go Home Now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_way67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:

Do you seriously find this boycott so unreasonable?

Why it was planned in the first place then is beyond me.

And there is only so long the "deep hatred" can seep into things completely unrelated, like fantasy manga.
The only connection Oda would have to Japanese war crimes is being Japanese. A Japanese born 30 years after the end of the war.
Which essentially means none at all.

Luckily Korea's censorship of Japanese media has waned over the years, but the general attitude is annoying.
Europeans don't treat Germans and German works like this.

Euro countries don't have to treat Germans a certain way...because Germany has it ingrained into their culture to not appreciate and engulf their own bleeping heritage! To the point where they're the worlds biggest apologetic people around ha.

Did anyone read comments by "Germans," feeling ashamed and "sorry" for their team head crushing win over Brazil?

It's like if you're the best at something, you stink ha. That's the mind set in present day Germany.

A War Museum dedicated to Korean War Vets shouldn't have something about a Japanese manga in it. Makes no sense ha.
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
@kirisaki_kabuto You sound like a Korean shill or something. What does Oda share with the "imperialists" of the 19th and 20th century other than his ethnic and national origin? Hell, what do most modern Japanese people have to do with the Japanese of old? To imply a people can't change is ludicrous.

Did I say that they shared a connection? I clearly stated that this wasn't specifically about Oda or One Piece for that matter but what they represented. It isn't that this current generation of Japanese was involved either, I think I made that clear as well. It's about symbolism. It's about how the Japanese culture is still seen in Korea, how the historical events still have a reflection nowadays. I'm not sure how you read that in what I wrote, perhaps it was my mistake, but I really don't see it. Another thing I said myself that the Japanese changed their ways, they're not trying to kill Koreans or conquer Korea, I don't think I said that nor did I imply that a people can't change. It's about the Korean perspective. I explained the Korean perspective to try to explain this specific attitude from the Korean, especially when it comes to culture. For that I explained the history and relation between the countries but not as to say "Japanese didn't change, they are just the same as those who committed atrocities in the past". Maybe you misunderstood, or maybe I expressed myself all wrong, I hope we're clear on this point.

SynergyMan wrote:

Funnily enough, it's the Koreans who have not changed a bit. Polls show that a majority of Koreans STILL have hatred towards the Japanese of today. Whereas there's barely any unjustified hate towards the Koreans.
The modern Koreans have censored and are responsible for more butchering of Japanese content and media than the Americans and French combined, even though the Japanese treat Koreans and their work with respect. The Koreans also had comfort women, so yeah. Koreans don't even integrate in America, let alone Japan, while the Japanese integrate in America.

I won't debate you about the hate thing. I said myself that there is a lot of resentment towards the Japanese. But, I believe that you are seeing things a bit one-sidedly. I think you need to understand that the resentment against the Japanese doesn't just stem from the Korean people being "babies" (if I may make a comment about this expression of yours - it was rather regrettable, considering we're trying to have a serious calm debate on an important topic). You may think the occupation was just a normal regrettable historical event but if you do, unfortunately I'm afraid that shows your ignorance on this matter. Not only was it extremely severe for the Korean people but also for their culture. It didn't go for only 5 or 10 years. The oppression started much sooner. The occupation lasted 35 years. Oppression varied throughout the years but trust me, throughout most of it, the Koreans suffered significantly. And even before that they were already having problems with Japan. Besides this, it didn't happen 2 centuries ago, it was too recent. That's why there's still so much resentment. Tell me, consider this - you are now a Korean 70 or 80 something year old. Throughout your whole childhood you lived in severe oppression. They forbid your language in school. Forbid the books in your language. Destroyed your country and population to provide for their war. Forced you to adopt a foreign name. Tell me, would you be okay with them nowadays? The resentment still lives. Unfair as it may be, you have to try and see different sides and perspectives.
Also, don't compare Taiwan's case to Korea, they are quite different and that's just a difficult conversation. Better avoid that comparison altogether, since it plays into other factors - such as the history of Taiwan both pre-war and post-war.

Also, at some point you went on a rant about Japanese being racist with a bunch of random data (I cut that from the quote to make it shorter). This leads me to believe that once again there's a misunderstanding between us - that or you took the opportunity to rant, which is fair enough. I don't think I said anything about the Japanese being intrinsically racist, just to make myself clear.

Overall, I think you misinterpreted part of what I wrote. That or what I wrote was confusing, I won't deny that possibility.

EDIT: Excellent points made by mdo7, especially concerning the Kono Statement, I had forgotten that but is very important. I was writing as you posted your comment so I'll add this as an edit.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:

EDIT: Excellent points made by mdo7, especially concerning the Kono Statement, I had forgotten that but is very important. I was writing as you posted your comment so I'll add this as an edit.

Thanks. Smile Yes the Japanese review of the Kono Statement and claiming this was a deal between Tokyo and Seoul is causing anger in South Korea despite the Kono statement was done on Japan's free will and doesn't involved talks with South Korea over it, and I just read this on NHK World today, I'll quote:

NHK World wrote:

Japan-S.Korea poll reflects chill in ties

An opinion poll shows that an increasing number of Japanese have unfavorable impressions of South Korea, while a high ratio of South Koreans continue to have negative feelings about Japan.

A Japanese non-profit organization, the Genron NPO, and the East Asia Institute of South Korea jointly conducted the survey in May and June. About 1,000 people in each nation gave valid responses.

54 percent of respondents in Japan said they have an unfavorable or relatively unfavorable impression of South Korea. That's up 17 points from about a year ago.

The number of those who said they have a favorable or relatively favorable impression decreased by 11 points, to 21 percent.

In South Korea, those with an unfavorable or relatively unfavorable impression of Japan fell by 6 points, to 71 percent.

Those with favorable or relatively favorable views increased slightly, to 18 percent.

As for reasons for respondents' unfavorable impressions, the largest number cited historical issues. In Japan, 74 percent said South Koreans keep criticizing Japan over views of history and other issues. 77 percent in South Korea said Japanese have failed to properly reflect on their past aggression toward South Korea.

Next came a territorial dispute over islands in the Sea of Japan known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo in South Korea.

42 percent in Japan cited the issue, compared to 72 percent in South Korea. South Korea controls the islands. Japan claims them.

Asked if bilateral relations are important, 60 percent of respondents in Japan and 73 percent in South Korea said yes.

In Japan, 37 percent said the 2 nations' leaders should hold a summit soon. 14 percent shared the view in South Korea.

47 percent in Japan said such a summit is not urgent or that it is unnecessary. The figure for South Korea was 81 percent.

Genron NPO President Yasushi Kudo said the results show that many people in the 2 nations put importance on each other and are concerned about the current situation.

He called for deepening mutual understanding through private-sector dialogue.

Jul. 10, 2014 - Updated 09:48 UTC

This could make Japan and South Korea relation very much worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

As for reasons for respondents' unfavorable impressions, the largest number cited historical issues. In Japan, 74 percent said South Koreans keep criticizing Japan over views of history and other issues. 77 percent in South Korea said Japanese have failed to properly reflect on their past aggression toward South Korea.

Interesting article, especially this part. It shows very well how the resentment is still so heavily connected to historical matters - and not just from one side. Relations Japan-S.Korea are more complicated than ever. Here's to hoping that Shinzo Abe takes a careful stance and that Park Geun-hye keeps in mind how important the relations with Japan have been to the economical development since the split with the North.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Interesting article, especially this part. It shows very well how the resentment is still so heavily connected to historical matters - and not just from one side. Relations Japan-S.Korea are more complicated than ever. Here's to hoping that Shinzo Abe takes a careful stance and that Park Geun-hye keeps in mind how important the relations with Japan have been to the economical development since the split with the North.

It's one of the issue but there's another factor, as I mention in one of my post Japan has racism issue, particularly when it comes to Koreans/Zainichis:

WSJ-Anti-Korean Voices Grow in Japan

Vice-Japan's 'internet nationalist' hate Koreans

Asashi Shimbum-High court upholds ruling against racist insults at Korean students

Those are my biggest concern, it's not only reconcilling about the past between the 2, but also intolerance/hatred/bigotry in Japan.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I assume the flag that was objected to was the Rising Sun Ensign?

Eh, understandable but at some point, it does get ridiculous. Are the Koreans never going to host a JMSDF ship because of the use of the same Ensign?

What about the US Fleet stationed in Fleet Activities Sasebo, their Naval patches feature the Rising Sun quite heavily also.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
There may be a really simple reason that a war museum wanted to host an Oda exhibit. Perhaps they were hoping to increase their visitor count? Fans of the manga would flock to the museum, and maybe visit the rest of the museum since they were already there.

Other than the mandatory school trips and the occasional tourists, I can't imagine too many people who visit Seoul want to see the museum in lieu of other things.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As others have said why would they think to host such a exhibit at a that particular museum is beyond belief.

But as a child of mixed race, asian and caucasian and one that had ancestors who fought the Japanese and suffered atrocities at their hands during WWII all I can say that was a long time ago. Yes you don't want to forget your history of your people but when are people going to let it go?

Seems like South Korea and all the other nations including my own like to fester over it till the end of time. It's like African Americans still complaining about slavery and act like it personally happened to them when it was hundreds over years ago.

Seriously get over it and move on with your life. My Grandfather cursed the Japanese to the day he died, me I have other things to worry about in life than what happened nearly 70 years ago during a time of war.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Maybe I missed the cue, but I don't see why someone would be showing off Once Piece in a South Korean War museum.

Adding the Japanese flag to the displays is just adding insult to injury.

That is the part that confuses me with this. I'm not seeing any sort of connection between One Piece and the museum, so it really ought to have been left out for the sake of being unrelated to the purpose of the museum, if nothing else.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This is absurd, because One Piece has absolutely nothing to do with WWII. It's a comic drawn by Eiichiro Oda, who was born years after any of those events, and him being born and living in Japan has absolutely no bearing on anything.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
There may be a really simple reason that a war museum wanted to host an Oda exhibit. Perhaps they were hoping to increase their visitor count? Fans of the manga would flock to the museum, and maybe visit the rest of the museum since they were already there.

Other than the mandatory school trips and the occasional tourists, I can't imagine too many people who visit Seoul want to see the museum in lieu of other things.
Even if the occasion was to garner popularity for a day at the museum, why not showcase something that originated in Korea? If Koreans are still that sensitive to Japanese interaction I would try avoid things that clash between Korean and Japanese history and culture.
Ryuhei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Those are my biggest concern, it's not only reconcilling about the past between the 2, but also intolerance/hatred/bigotry in Japan.

Sorry, but all your posts for this piece of news seem too partial and one-sided. There are a lot of "intolerance/hatred/bigotry" in South Korea too (and let´s not talk about China), and for every bit of racism reports/news in Japan, you can find another one in South Korea against Japan or japanese people (again, let´s not even talk about China). I don´t think that´s even debatable. The blind hate towards Japan (in general, no distinctions!) by some Koreans and Chinese is ridiculous and very dangerous, when the vast majority of japanese (especially young ones) don´t have any negative sentiment towards the other countries.
That´s regarding racism/hate/bigotry in modern times.

About historical issues, it´s obvious that Japan has some more steps to do, some outspoken dumbasses etc... but as far as I know, a few japanese Prime Ministers have even publicly and officially apologized (the last time just a few years ago) for the crimes commited by the country many decades ago. That´s SOMETHING, right?
(Has the US ever apologised for dropping two fu**ing nuclear bombs in the middle of two civilian cities?? I hope it has)

Bottom line, please be more fair in your assessments. It doesn´t matter if you post long well-written essays, they have to be balanced and unbiased to be considered.

Last edited by Ryuhei on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3