• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Welcome to the RTO!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
The thing about NHK is that the otaku aspect of things, as large as part as it plays, seems mostly there to screw with the already fragile character of Satou - So for all the "wacky" stuff that happens in it, it is pretty dark and melancholy. First you have an individual suffering from a well recognized extreme case of social withdrawl who fills the emptiness with otaku culture to the point that upon reflection doesn't truly satisfy him. He then proceeds to get pulled into every direction with Misaki attempting to "rehabilitate" him, his sempai seemingly trying to pull him back into his depression, and his friend trying to keep him in the culture where he is. I wouldn't say it's a direct celebration or condemnation of the otaku culture so much as it's used to explore a socially broken individual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elsie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
shamelessfanboy wrote:
Lyrai wrote:
Does Book 1 of NHK have hte oft-refrecned HYPER-SELFPLEASURE bit or is that later on?

Later on.

I found NHK kind of depressing because it doesn't sugarcoat otakudom like Genshiken does. My reaction to the first few volumes was something like "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?" followed by hours of sobbing in my room alone.

With that said, it's not bad.

So.....NHK is like the Genshiken for Pervs?

More like Genshiken for those with Thorazine prescriptions. Underneath the comedy are characters in bad shape.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I've heard Welcome to the NHK described as being about failure on colossal levels. It was on an animeblog somewhere, I'll have to find it.
Darrenm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Welcome to the NHK is a really great series...I was pretty shocked to see it at the local comic store last week, as I'd never heard any kind of announcement about Tokyopop licensing it or releasing it. I prefer it to the Genshiken manga (so far, anyways), and I'm really enjoying the anime version as well (up to episode 10).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I've heard Welcome to the NHK described as being about failure on colossal levels. It was on an animeblog somewhere, I'll have to find it.

Okay, I found it.

The quote was: "First off, it’s Welcome to the NHK, a delightful story about failing, failure, and epic failure. It’s New Coke, the Yugo, Tacoma Narrows bridge, Unlimited Essay Works, Keroro’s Pekopon conquering schemes, Isiah Thomas’ post-Piston’s career, 3com’s Aubrey, Wired’s Cuecat, Ryan Leaf, Microsoft Bob, and Shinji Ikari all rolled up into a neat package… and that’s why I enjoyed the manga."
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well, initially I wasn't going to buy NHK because the last thing I wanted was another "Let's all laugh at ourselves for being such losers for a chapter or two so we can feel better about looking at lolicon," but some of the comments intrigue me. I can't call myself an otaku by either the Japanese or the American definition, so I guess reading it isn't going make me wallow in self-pity...
EDIT: And congrats on the 24 attempt (hopefully successful). Your a better man than most Very Happy
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
NHK is such a disgusting title. As one of my friends once put it, "there's nothing worse than a show touted to being for geeks by geeks", especially when it's about otaku, who are among the worst kind of geek since what they're obsessed about has no real utility value in the real world.

Holier-than-thou attitudes are always amusing to me, really.

dormcat wrote:
Carlo, by what chance do you start reviewing Taiwanese manga?

Would there be another word to define "comics" made in Taiwan? I mean, Korean comics are called manwha, and I'm just critical enough to give a "proper label" to a medium.

Kagemusha wrote:
Well, initially I wasn't going to buy NHK because the last thing I wanted was another "Let's all laugh at ourselves for being such losers for a chapter or two so we can feel better about looking at lolicon," but some of the comments intrigue me.

Unless it goes in a different direction in upcoming volumes, I didn't really get the impression from the first volume of Welcome to the N.H.K. that it was just another title that just poked fun and parodied such things like, say, the Excel Saga anime and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or just gave it the perspective of being enjoyable like in Genshiken. Sure, there's a bit of indulgence and fanservice, but it's much closer to the general attitude given in, say, Perfect Blue, Neon Genesis Evangelion/The End of Evangelion, or even those individual but still incredibly dark episodes in Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent in which dealt with the otaku lifestyle. Like them N.H.K. seems to plays it in a bleak and undesirable light mixed with humor, which I was definitely thankful for.

Even though it's early I'd easily recommend reading it. Satou is likely to be incredibly depraved more than most posting on this thread but you can connect to him on some level, considering he's fully aware of how low his life is at the moment, wants to change it but still takes so many steps backwards.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

dormcat wrote:
Carlo, by what chance do you start reviewing Taiwanese manga?

Would there be another word to define "comics" made in Taiwan? I mean, Korean comics are called manwha, and I'm just critical enough to give a "proper label" to a medium.

Well, Chinese comics are called manhua, I believe and Taiwan used to be a part of China (and Red China still thinks it is, I think) and I think the language is the same or very similar (though I could be wrong, please don't shoot me) so perhaps manhua would be the approprate term.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I found it kind of ironic that Welcome to the NHK was a shounen title whereas Genshiken was seinen. But I guess it kind of makes sense, since it serves as a beacon telling its audience "be careful: this is what you might become!"

It's one of the best manga I've read recently, though. It's so nice to know that at least one title is willing to fully acknowledge how screwed up a lot of (or even most) otaku are. I especially liked the bit about designing the ultimate moe girl.

"She's blind, and can't move her legs. And she has Alzheimer's!"
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
NHK is such a disgusting title. As one of my friends once put it, "there's nothing worse than a show touted to being for geeks by geeks", especially when it's about otaku, who are among the worst kind of geek since what they're obsessed about has no real utility value in the real world.

I lawled when I read this ^^. It is funny for you to say worst kind of geek, I mean you love to sit on this forum and nit pick every little thing you see. So I have a question for you if you hate otaku so much why do you love to discuss them so much?. Also who is to say something has value or not, I believe value is determined by the eye of the beholder. The louder you scream I am not otaku the more I believe you are. NHK is definitely a sad look at otaku life style of some ,not all. So in closing Malintex Terek I say to thee "Dance Kidult Dance"
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
My campus club has been doing the 24 Hr challenge for a few semesters, those who partisipate really enjoy it. Security on the other hand thinks an overnight comic creation event will lead to handy panky Confused....

Pfft! Making a comic is far too time consuming to take a hanky-panky break. No time for love, Dr. Jones! Very Happy

But Carlo, you didn't let us know if you finished or not. And where the scans are so we can read it....heh. I couldn't manage to pull a 24-hour comic on 24-hour Comics Day this year, but I definitely plan on doing one in the next few weeks. The question, though, is who here has the dedication for National Novel Writing Month? Shocked

Carlo Santos wrote:
BOWLING KING
Vol. 1
(by Tong Ai, Tong Li Publishing, NT$80)

Whoa, according to Wikipedia, NT$80 is only US$2.42! I wish comics were that cheap here....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
But Carlo, you didn't let us know if you finished or not. And where the scans are so we can read it....heh. I couldn't manage to pull a 24-hour comic on 24-hour Comics Day this year, but I definitely plan on doing one in the next few weeks. The question, though, is who here has the dedication for National Novel Writing Month? Shocked

I finished, but I'm way too embarrassed to let anyone see it. Laughing Plus it'd make it too easy for my detractors to say "Well Mr. Reviewer, if you think so-and-so's manga is so crap, let's see YOU do better. Clearly, you CANNOT."

There's actually a comic version of Nanowrimo that I might give a try. The pace (30 penciled pages in 30 days) looks more relaxed.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
There's actually a comic version of Nanowrimo that I might give a try. The pace (30 penciled pages in 30 days) looks more relaxed.

30 pages in 30 days is a lot wussier challenge than 24 pages in 24 hours. Neutral
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, I'd be far more interested in Welcome to the NHK! if the manga was drawn by Yoshitoshi ABe, like the novel covers. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The quote was: "First off, it’s Welcome to the NHK, a delightful story about failing, failure, and epic failure. It’s New Coke, the Yugo, Tacoma Narrows bridge, Unlimited Essay Works, Keroro’s Pekopon conquering schemes, Isiah Thomas’ post-Piston’s career, 3com’s Aubrey, Wired’s Cuecat, Ryan Leaf, Microsoft Bob, and Shinji Ikari all rolled up into a neat package… and that’s why I enjoyed the manga."

Out of curiosity, can you tell us where we can find this blog? Sounds like it's by a pretty funny guy. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:

Out of curiosity, can you tell us where we can find this blog? Sounds like it's by a pretty funny guy. Laughing

Anime on My Mind
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2