• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ringing Bell DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
There are those that are excited that "Ringing Bell" is out on DVD. I'm not among them. I don't think I would want something like that in my anime collection. It's too dark and gloomy for me. This is supposed to be a kid's movie? I guess that I would be one of those parents that was satirized in that "Precure All-Stars New Stage 3" that both FireChick and StudioToledo mentioned. That is,if I had any kids.
If you've seen any American animation in the late 80's and 90's,they often made fun of those people as well. The problem with that is these days,it's tough to be a parent. And I've heard more than once the legitimate complaint that the culture isn't helping matters any.

Both FireChick and StudioToledo praise "Pokemon" that respects the intelligence of it's audience. Well,the manner that it goes about it matters. "Pokemon" at least has some boundaries,if only in the American version. It knows not to traumatize kids unlike the sledgehammer approach that "Ringing Bell" seems to do. StudioToledo may have been joking about the "Blame America" part,but the way this film handled the subject matter is something that is very serious and it's something that should be discussed.
All in all,I don't think I'll be getting "Ringing Bell." It may be for some people but I don't think it's for me. Like "Evangelion,"it's too dark and gloomy for most kids. I agree with the minus column when it said that parents should view it before their kids do. You'd be better off getting the kids "Pound Puppies" or "Pokemon." You'll be spared enormous therapy bills later on.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
There are those that are excited that "Ringing Bell" is out on DVD. I'm not among them. I don't think I would want something like that in my anime collection. It's too dark and gloomy for me. This is supposed to be a kid's movie? I guess that I would be one of those parents that was satirized in that "Precure All-Stars New Stage 3" that both FireChick and StudioToledo mentioned. That is,if I had any kids.

I never said anything about Precure and I don't watch that at all (being in my late 30's I don't keep up with stuff like that).

Quote:
If you've seen any American animation in the late 80's and 90's,they often made fun of those people as well. The problem with that is these days,it's tough to be a parent. And I've heard more than once the legitimate complaint that the culture isn't helping matters any.

I would say take your kids' tablets/ipods/ipads/phones away and see how they react.

Quote:
Both FireChick and StudioToledo praise "Pokemon" that respects the intelligence of it's audience.

I said nothing about Pokemon unless you thought I did (the way I bother to quote other people's comments with mine).

StudioToledo may have been joking about the "Blame America" part,but the way this film handled the subject matter is something that is very serious and it's something that should be discussed.[/quote]

And that's is important as well.

Quote:
All in all,I don't think I'll be getting "Ringing Bell." It may be for some people but I don't think it's for me. Like "Evangelion,"it's too dark and gloomy for most kids.

Well Eva isn't for kids, actually.

Quote:
I agree with the minus column when it said that parents should view it before their kids do. You'd be better off getting the kids "Pound Puppies" or "Pokemon." You'll be spared enormous therapy bills later on.

And ironically the original home video release had no disclaimers to speak of either on the cover or at the start of the film (the Japanese DVD does have a disclaimer at the start of the film).

I respect your decision here as a parent and that you know what's best for your kid/s.

I could suggest "The Mouse & His Child" though it's the opposite of what "Ringing Bell" has message-wise but one I loved a lot.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well,StudioToledo,I don't have any kids but even if I did,I wouldn't let them watch "Ringing Bell" alone. It would traumatize them. I also saw "A Mouse and his Child." To be honest,it could have been a lot better. I saw it when I was younger but I haven't seen it lately. I thought you agreed with FireChick. I didn't know you were quoting her. I also know that "EVA" isn't for kids. I've seen it before and it's too gloomy for me.
The same could be said for "Ringing Bell." I don't think it's something I'd ever want to watch. From what I've heard of it,it has looks of a Walt Disney film with the tone of a Eugene O'Neill play. And,that's something I don't really want to put myself or any child I knew through an experience like that. Not every kid is tough. We have to remember that.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,StudioToledo,I don't have any kids but even if I did,I wouldn't let them watch "Ringing Bell" alone. It would traumatize them. I also saw "A Mouse and his Child." To be honest,it could have been a lot better. I saw it when I was younger but I haven't seen it lately. I thought you agreed with FireChick. I didn't know you were quoting her. I also know that "EVA" isn't for kids. I've seen it before and it's too gloomy for me.

The series is more a deconstruction on what we think these type of stories are suppose to be about, but it goes in an opposite direction by giving us a character who really doesn't want to save the world anyway. The show's really aimed an audience that had grown up on that stuff as kids, though it's also a kind of slap-in-the-face to that group.

Quote:
The same could be said for "Ringing Bell." I don't think it's something I'd ever want to watch. From what I've heard of it,it has looks of a Walt Disney film with the tone of a Eugene O'Neill play. And,that's something I don't really want to put myself or any child I knew though an experience like that. Not every kid is tough. We have to remember that.

I suppose I was tough for a 'burb kid.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
It was produced during the animation heyday of Sanrio, [...]

I wonder if Sanrio actually made any decent money off of the project.....
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
It was produced during the animation heyday of Sanrio, [...]

I wonder if Sanrio actually made any decent money off of the project.....

If it did, it would've been in Japan for the most part, none of their US involvements did too well at the box office from what I've read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2