• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Hanayamata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Nothing be melting my heart about this show. I disagree with Theron's judgement of the show not being sappy, because there were numerous scenes where girls are just crying and yelling like the generic anime characters that they are. Every time they do that, it reminds me that the show is not targeted to those who can figure out these emotional exchanges without being explicitly shown what is happening.
insert name here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
When every episode crams in up to three different emotional tirades about why yosakoi and having fun with friends is important it stops pulling on the heartstrings and starts yanking on the gag reflex.

This is well put. There were moments watching this show where I wondered if these people just spend half of their days sitting around making emotional speeches. The main girl screaming about the importance of friendship while everyone stares in shock and awe kind of reminds me of Goku or somebody charging up a kamehameha while everyone is blown away about how he's more powerful than he was before. I wish this show would focus a bit more on the actual process of yosakoi dancing and had more of a procedural aspect, but I've too baked most of the times I've watched it to really be annoyed by its deficiencies.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
I do wish it had less drama(which is dragging it below my other 5 favs of this season), but the amazing music(OP & ED) and the Cutesy make up by that, its still something I would consider rewatching.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Number #821189 wrote:
How do I filter these?

At the top of the main page there is a list of options. You can choose to see all of the news, only interest articles, only reviews, etc.

As for Hanayamata. It's probably one of my favorites of the season. I'm not entirely sure why. But as some people have stated in here, it does really pull on the heartstrings on some occasions, and when it works, it works quite well.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Tough to be Hana's dad. Actually it is tough to be any girl's dad. But Hana's dad has it rough.

I really liked how the little group became an attraction to the inn.

There was something inspiring about how Machi was played and I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it was how she quietly kept at practicing herself and left off lecturing the others even though everyone else wanted to goof off. I guess she represents the maturity the group needed and which the club advisor wasn't providing.

Speaking of Sally-sensei, since she obtained and kept Bro's phone number how long is it before they get caught In flagrante delicto?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
^
Sally is clearly just using him. And he seems happy to be abused, so it works out for the both of them LOL.

I also liked how Machi was determinedly trying to fit in, even if it was in her own way and at her own pace. And you're right that she's adding the maturity and backbone that the group needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the umbrellas will be incorporated into their routine.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ahh this episode was a ton of fun and a nice break from the drama of last week (while I usually like the drama I agree that the stuff between Sally and Machi was way overblown and could have been solved if Sally had just decided to speak up for two seconds).

Watching Machi try to fit in with the group and act as a beleaguered straight man for them was quite fun. I dunno what it is about straight man characters that I love so much, it's also what I liked about Yaya before Machi took that spot from her. Speaking of Yaya something about seeing her act all smug with Machi made me smile I dunno why.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Sally is clearly just using him. And he seems happy to be abused, so it works out for the both of them LOL.

Yeah, I just couldn't find a good place to bring that up. I was also quite amused by this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
In the episode 1-8 summary, the reviewer mixed up two of the girls' names, you might want to correct them.

Quote:
Machi, the Student Council Vice-President, a rich girl who takes inspiration from Naru's example and starts to realize herself that she is no longer content to be Daddy's Little Girl
is actually Tami.

Quote:
Tami, the Student Council President
is actually Machi.

I'm glad to see someone had already noted this... But it still hasn't been fixed...

I was shocked when I realized that this show had slid under my radar! the manga version kept cropping up on my "things I should read sometime" list and one day I searched for info on it and saw a "click here to watch" on one of the pages. At that point I thought, "Huh... this has an anime? Then I searched for it and saw that it was THIS season and on Crunchyroll! DUH! I knew that it looked familiar! That must be why I kept putting in the queue to read someday...

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Key's reviews. I was very pleased to find that, after having marathoned the series to date over the weekend, I wasn't alone in feeling that the show is far better than it has any right to be, when you look at it from the outside. It has surprising depth, seriously good writing, and the characters are well crafted in general.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Corrected the name switch.

And I agree with you entirely, zensunni. Because of how it was described, I had no expectations for this series coming in; if I had ranked the Summer 2014 shows in terms of most-least anticipated, this one probably wouldn't have even been in the top half. And now, unless the last two episodes flub things up, it's looking like a strong candidate to be on my Top 5 list for the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^

Yeah, I just couldn't find a good place to bring that up. I was also quite amused by this.

At the risk of posting a sexist remark, the tables will turn once Sally realizes her biological clock is ticking.

Odds are 65/35 that they will end up at least dating by the end of the season and if not that, its 90/10 that it will happen sometime next season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And now, unless the last two episodes flub things up, it's looking like a strong candidate to be on my Top 5 list for the year.

You're getting overly enthusiastic; some perspective is needed here. I mean, I like Hanayamata too, but while it's good it isn't that good. I would be hesitant to put the show in the top five for this season let alone for the entire year.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Odds are 65/35 that they will end up at least dating by the end of the season and if not that, its 90/10 that it will happen sometime next season.

This is anime we're talking about. Trying to get two characters to date is like trying to get the last bit of tomato sauce out of the bottle. Sure, you can do it, but it takes a lot of time and it's often messy.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
And what would you say are the five series better this season? Because I'm apparently not watching any of them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
^
I'm going to assume that you were serious and so I will in turn answer you seriously.

Pretty much the other titles on the list I put up in the Aldnoah.Zero thread a week or so back. That would be my short answer. My long answer is below.

The following summer shows are clearly better than Hanayamata:

Ao Haru Ride
Barakamon
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Baby Steps (a spring-continuation title so it doesn't count, but I thought I'd give it a shout-out anyway since it is one of the most intelligent and realistic sports shows I have ever watched)

Those are the standout summer titles out of what I've been watching. In my opinion, anyone who isn't watching all three is not qualified to judge this season's quality.

As for other good shows, I'd put both Locodol and Sabagebu at about the same level as Hanayamata. It's actually interesting to compare the three. Locodol has been very consistent with no real highs or lows in terms of quality; you always get something good but not spectacular. Sabagebu can be absolutely brilliant in one skit but ho-hum (or worse) for the next. Hanayamata is somewhere in between; highly enjoyable when the show is in comedy/cute mode but not so good when it tries its hand at drama.

Anyway, the upshot is that there's really only two open slots (at most) for the season's top five, and while Hanayamata does have a chance there are other series out there also making a respectable case to get in. Hanayamata is cute and sweet, no doubt about that*, and as I said I like it a lot. But although the comedy has been strong the drama has been suspect at times, we've hardly seen any proper yosakoi dancing (probably due to a low animation budget, but still), and neither the story nor the show's execution of said story have been all that unusual or special or even fresh. I don't see the cleverness that I saw in Engaged to the Unidentified, for example.

Not as much as other series though:

So cute . . . *squeees like a girl*
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll admit I totally spaced on Nozaki-kun, which is I think is the best pure comedy I've seen in years. It's a shoo-in for my end-of-year list at this point.

Tried watching Barakamon. Can acknowledge that it was good but could not get into it.

Ao Haru Ride and Baby Steps, OTOH, must have gotten way better after their first couple of episodes because neither one impressed me at all from the get-go.

As I think my Preview Guide grades will bear out, I had a stronger first impression of Hanayamata than all of the other titles you mention except Nozaki-kun, and it was because of the drama, not the comedy or cutesy stuff (which I actually think is unremarkable). Except for episode 9, it's worked for me way better than it apparently has for you. But you didn't care for Hanasaku Iroha, either, and that's a series I've thought of more than once while watching this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3