• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Sound of μic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Gurren Lagann. Easily in my top 3 anime of all time. Maybe even number one. That being said I have never bothered to watch the compilation movies. I always think that if I ever rewatch it, I may as well watch the series. The new scenes interest me, but if it's overall just not as good I always am torn on the issue. Maybe some day I will just for the hell of it, but I'm not too keen on anything that's just a rehash with an additional 10 minutes of content.

Love Live is one of those series you keep hearing good things about but keep going "There's no way..." Maybe someday I'll check it out, but man, I have never gone "I wish I could watch a show about some idols being all kawaii desu."

And holy bejeesus that room...
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
That room is amazing and well organized I wish was that organized.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Love Live! School Idol Project is my favourite anime (don't judge) but the second season is a lot better than the first. The first season is enjoyable but it becomes something special with the second season.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
That Tales collection is impressive. 80
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Wow! All three shelf worthy. I don't think I've ever seen that. Haven't seen Toriko but I agree with the other two choices. While it doesn't work so good as a replacement for the series the Gurren Lagann Movies were amazing. Especially the second movie which cuts the crap, keeps the awesome and ramps the awesome up to 11.

Generally I'm not a fan of recaps (Especially the Chuunibyou Movie which is incredibly lazy and awful on many levels) and even in the case of well done recaps like the Madoka movies I still find them to be greatly inferior to the series. But I absolutely loved the Gurren Lagann Movies and I wish more recap movies would follow in their footsteps.

CallumKeyblade wrote:
Love Live! School Idol Project is my favourite anime (don't judge) but the second season is a lot better than the first. The first season is enjoyable but it becomes something special with the second season.
Yeah, I completely agree with this (Except Love Live is about my 5th favourite anime).

The first season was a real gem of a series and definitely deserves the Shelf Worthy spot but there were a lot of rough edges. It's an all around incredibly charming and well made series but the pacing was really uneven, most of the characters didn't get much development because the show spends way too long introducing them and the drama was very hit and miss.

But Season 2... well, it basically did everything right. It improves on just about everything the first season did right and learns from its mistakes. Instead of falling victim to the usual mistake sequels make of just rehashing the same formula and expecting the audience not to notice it actively takes advantage of the fact that it's a sequel. Season 1 spent way too long with introductions but with all that out of the way they can keep the plot moving forward and jump right into developing the cast. All around it's much more focused and better paced. Even the performances, one of the best things about Season 1, were an improvement. Then again, I might just be a little biased since Snow Halation has always been my favourite μ's song.

I've been watching anime for a bit over 3 years now and while Season 1 was one of the few gems in the sea of shit that was the Winter 2013 Season no other show has had me eagerly anticipating the new episode every single week like Love Live Season 2 and that's saying a lot.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
The Gurren Lagann movie, I did see them back when Bandai wasn't Bandai {getting into what they are now is in part dependent upon those releases} and more important than the new footage or restructuring is that they change, ever so slightly, the ending.

In particular who lives and who dies. Most importantly, it doesn't matter as it doesn't change the ending aspect that really needed to be changed.

"Do the Impossible!! ... and we're done. Wait... no, not important." Simon.

The simplest answer is the very fact it was possible to change the fate of spoiler[Nia]in a universe where a 0% chance could become a 100%, a hundred percent chance of success would impossible to do. Somehow.

The fact of not doing anything in a world where action is rewarded over thinking and contemplation kills the series' own theme of perseverance. And then there's the second problem of Yoko and her love of children and families and...

What the hell is wrong with this show?

It's like these creators couldn't appreciate the idea that an optimistic show could use an optimistic ending for its optimistic characters. "It's for humanity." No, humanity is stupid and it's pretty much the second theme of the show {Thanks, Rossiu}. Sure, you can break every barrier, bring down every wall in your path but some walls are there for a reason. Also, don't charge into force fields that will wipe our own existence... especially after watching it happen to other people. There are thinkers and there are doers and the rest are idiots. Oh, Kamina, didn't see you there...

But yah, Gainax means Gainax ending but it's easily something that could have been fixed in a movie compilation. All the extra action in the world can't save a movie with a runtime that only serves to get it sooner to its ending than its original 27 episode series. Rent it, no, buy the series and write your own damn ending.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'm extremely jealous. That room is like a dream.

I also got the Toriko Collection a few weeks back. I always wanted Toriko on DVD but I couldn't afford the 12-13 episode sets at the time. Now I'm just hoping Funimation will license the rest of the series, I'd love to own the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

What the hell is wrong with this show?
It's like these creators couldn't appreciate the idea that an optimistic show could use an optimistic ending for its optimistic characters.

The ending was perfect as it was. It was a series all about growing and overcoming tragedy with manliness. It would betray the entire point of the show and undermine the growth of the characters if everything was just sunshine and rainbows at the end. The entirety of it has Simon grow and face tragedy head on and continue to live, from living underground all the way to taking on armies. If he stopped at the end, what would that say? If you can't handle a sad ending, perhaps you just have to grow yourself. It takes a lot to fully appreciate the beauty of that.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But yah, Gainax means Gainax ending but it's easily something that could have been fixed in a movie compilation. All the extra action in the world can't save a movie with a runtime that only serves to get it sooner to its ending than its original 27 episode series. Rent it, no, buy the series and write your own damn ending.

It's odd. Your post does seem to acknowledge that the theme of the series is just a little more complicated than "do whatever you want", but it doesn't actually engage with it on a level beyond that.

Ahem: There is a time for action and there is a time for diplomacy. Furthermore, doing whatever you want with no regard for the consequences will destroy the universe. Lastly, growing up and moving on from the past is a good thing.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Dat room Shocked how does one ever leave it??? It looks to awesome! Surprised
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Both a Tales of Symphonia and Fullmetal Alchemist collector....FINALLY! Very Happy Impressive shelves my friend! Very Happy
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Having seen μ's twice (Animelo Summer Live 2012 and 2013) I might actually try to get hold of the anime and watch it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
I am one of those that wished for a happier ending to Gurren Lagann. I understood why it happened, and yes it did make sense. But with this show in particular, it was about striving for the seemingly impossible. So, if they had wanted to, the writers could have wrote a happier note to end on, that also would have made sense too.

It is not about a Gainax ending, this is just the Japanese penchant for tragic endings. They wanted a tragic ending and they made it that way.

They made us care for the characters, so it hurts that the show ends on such a tragic note, and a dismal future for the leads.

That said, I still love Gurren Lagann. It's worth all the praise it gets.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Just to nitpick, I think you meant "the sound of μ'sic" for your pun to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
They made us care for the characters, so it hurts that the show ends on such a tragic note, and a dismal future for the leads.

Dismal future? Most of the characters seemed pretty happy at the end. spoiler[Even Simon seemed pretty happy just wandering the earth. Not saying that most of them didn't experience something heart-breaking during the series, but 20 years later they all seemed to be in a good place. And I just roll my eyes at people who assume Simon never visited any of the others that whole time. Just because Rossiu and Leeron didn't know where he was AT THAT EXACT MOMENT didn't mean they never saw Simon ever during those 20 years.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3