• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Your lie in April

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Also, I never made the Evangelion connection, and I do not think it would be a good idea to compare Shinji with Kosei.

She never compared Shinji to Kosei. She was comparing how the psychological scenes of the main leads were directed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Also, I never made the Evangelion connection, and I do not think it would be a good idea to compare Shinji with Kosei.

She never compared Shinji to Kosei. She was comparing how the psychological scenes of the main leads were directed.

That is why I used the word "would". She did not compare the two characters, but if she did, it might not be a good idea (mostly because it could derail the discussion into long winded Evangelion commentary).

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
A better comparison to Evangelion would be how each show has different interpretations. Case in point:

Quote:
It also endears Kaori to the audience, allowing her to come into her own more as a character as we see just how far she's willing to go to make Kosei do her bidding.

and:

Quote:

Her actions manage to reveal more about her character too. (No wonder her Kreutzer Sonata performance was all over the place if she thinks she can go to performances without rehearsing with her accompanist!)

Here's a thought. She had an accompanist in mind, one who's a star and one who'll do her bidding? That she didn't care to get the judges attention because she wanted the audience's love? I love the fact that she didn't care how the results of the prelim but once she got in, she "had" to have Kosei as her accompanist. But he was just "Friend A", she had zero interest in him. But, oh, she knew who he was from the start; "Hey Tsubaki, bring him along with Watari. You know, the guy I like but completely ignore now that Kosei's on the scene."

The number of lies here seem to border on pathological.

See, I absolutely loathe her, I haven't seen anyone as manipulative as her since Peach Girl's Sae. "How far she's willing to go"; There seems to be a germination of something there though...
DenyingBelial

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised no one mentioned "Sakamichi no Apollon". The protagonists remind me of each other. Though, Sentarou (SnA)'s analog would probably be Kaori (YliA) and I can't think of any analog for Ritsuko(SnA). But I always thought Kaoru(SnA) had better chemistry with Sentarou(SnA) anyways.

EDIT: Sorry, dm did mention "kids on the slope" (sakamichi no apollon).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Good review for episode 3, but what I don't see enough of in the discussion is Kosei's relationship with his mother. I have no way to prove it but I suspect Kosei real problem has to do more with her than any real fear of failure.

It seems like he is feeling more guilty than fearful. And that would be consistent with the abuse she put him through.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Re: episode 3, Kosei wasn't improvising on "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" but playing from Mozart's "12 Variations in C Major on 'Ah vous dirai-je, Maman' (K.265)".

Well, Mozart's piece is a theme and variations on the same melody, just under the name for the original French song (the "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" lyrics came from a later English poem that was set to the melody). But yeah, you're right about that. Sorry, I haven't heard that piece since like my 101 music theory classes in college, so I didn't automatically make the connection, although I knew Mozart had done something with "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" at some point.

Quote:
It's an elegant connection from something a kid would play to something more sophisticated.

Yeah, it really tells you a lot about Kosei and the kind of world he's grown up in and mentality he's grown up with, that he would take this piece that is a popular children's tune and one of the first things most people learn on their instrument, and automatically associate it with Mozart.

It kind of reminds me of that Leonard Bernstein quote that "A snob is someone who hears the William Tell and doesn't think of the Lone Ranger." But in a good way, or just that it shows how much he was groomed from an early age to be this classical music superstar. That's all he knows how to relate to music, no matter what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Quote:
It's an elegant connection from something a kid would play to something more sophisticated.

Yeah, it really tells you a lot about Kosei and the kind of world he's grown up in and mentality he's grown up with, that he would take this piece that is a popular children's tune and one of the first things most people learn on their instrument, and automatically associate it with Mozart.

It kind of reminds me of that Leonard Bernstein quote that "A snob is someone who hears the William Tell and doesn't think of the Lone Ranger." But in a good way, or just that it shows how much he was groomed from an early age to be this classical music superstar. That's all he knows how to relate to music, no matter what it is.

Well, the variations do begin with the basic original version and then go on to permute it so it's like he could recognize the larger piece beyond the small one (due to, as you write, his upbringing) and didn't want to stop playing before getting to all those lovely variations.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about Classical music but this seems like a well-chosen piece to demonstrate something significant about it in the way that it spins something very simple in so many interesting ways.
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Good review for episode 3, but what I don't see enough of in the discussion is Kosei's relationship with his mother. I have no way to prove it but I suspect Kosei real problem has to do more with her than any real fear of failure.

There is always a way when it is an adaption, read the original Wink
spoiler[You are correct though, his "tone deafness" has nothing to do with a fear of failure it is all related to his mother, though her involvement and the meaning/possibility of his condition is later explained as well.]
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you guys got the impression that I didn't think it had anything to do with his mom. I thought I made it clear it does have a lot to do with his mom; the two ideas aren't mutually-exclusive. His mom is clearly why he has a lot of issues with stress related to music.

I also should probably say I haven't read the manga or anything. I'm less of a manga person than an anime person, especially when it comes to stories about music (where I'd rather have a soundtrack), and I didn't think it was necessary to review this since so far, this is a pretty stand-alone adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Re: episode 3, Kosei wasn't improvising on "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" but playing from Mozart's "12 Variations in C Major on 'Ah vous dirai-je, Maman' (K.265)". It's an elegant connection from something a kid would play to something more sophisticated.

Glad to see that someone else had mentioned this. It is not improvisation but Mozart. There are (or will be) quotes from Mozart that are very important to the story as well.

This show, so far, is fantastic! I can't wait for the next episode!
frapagook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Fronzel and others beat me to it. The version of Twinkle Twinkle was the Mozart piece "Ah vous dirais je Maman", not an improvisation (which I might add would be pretty irregular for Kousei's character). I learned it on the piano a few years ago and that scene is one of the many reasons I am in love with this show and can't wait for the next episode.

Also, I'm reminded of Toradora, with the early set up of other love interests who I'm sure will play more complicated roles of close friends with secret/suppressed feelings later.

I wish there were more music centered anime. I loved Nodame Cantabile and Sakamichi no Apollon (<3 Yoko Kanno), but I don't think this is trying to borrow from or compete with them, so I won't compare them. Just watch all three! Very Happy
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
frapagook wrote:
Lol, Fronzel and others beat me to it. The version of Twinkle Twinkle was the Mozart piece "Ah vous dirais je Maman", not an improvisation

I didn't know that until youse guys eddicated me.
Quote:
I wish there were more music centered anime.

I get the impression that they think the market is limited and if they put in too much performance the audience would get bored. That's the problem with market driven entertainment like this -- they are always trying to find the most common denominator and that by definition isn't where discerning audience wants to be.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
I was going to ask why two people repeated something I'd already responded to and said "my bad" about, but I figured you guys probably didn't know that I'm the reviewer (Rose Bridges). I should probably clarify that in each episode review thread if I'm going to respond, lol.

So yeah, I got that that was the Mozart piece. It was a slip-up on my part, due to not having heard that piece in a long time. (It's still kinda weird to say it's definitively not "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star", though--it's the same tune, Mozart's piece is a theme and variations on it. Albeit, based on an earlier name for the song.)

Thanks for reminding me, though!
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Another A+ review and the most glowing praises for an Aniplex title. Shocking developments. When did ANN become like the IGN of anime review sites anyway? I mean yeah its halloween but throwing out the A's like you're throwing out the candy kind of devalues the whole idea behind them IMO. Oh well. To me this anime succeeds primarily at trying to invoke a certain stylistic look but the feelings hardly come across as something to get me genuinely invested. As is typical with A-1 there's too much of an attempt to take the easy path here and dress things up while going for that very overwrought appeal to emotion rather than just let an attachment to characters grow over time. Sadly this approach seems to be the right one nowadays as with today's ever impatient extreme reaction based audience you either have to strike early and with as heavy a hand as possible or not even bother at all cause audiences will say the show is boring and doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Its just pretty continually pathetic what I'm seeing this year. This IMO mediocre and overwrought approach that Aniplex abuses is now seen and celebrated as the A+ top tier winning approach to making anime so its no small wonder I find myself disinterested. Its just become so easy and template. Just have overwrought writing, have a pleasant look to your color palette and advertise advertise advertise. That's how you make a great show nowadays. With that firmly set in stone its like theres just nothing else to look forward to in this medium. Just such a joke lol....
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Another A+ review and the most glowing praises for an Aniplex title.

Because it is of course totally impossible that this anime could deserve an A+ merely because it is engaging, well drawn, well animated, great characters and compelling story. To say nothing of the musical performances. There is a quota after all. Every distributor is allowed only so many A+ awards. This is only logical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12